How to use the "Magic 8-Ball" in the tuner.

wezx

Experienced
The "Magic 8-Ball" is an innovative tool designed for precision tuning. NOTE: You are NOT required to use the "Magic 8-Ball". You can continue to use the grid and arrows alone and achieve excellent results.*The "Magic 8-Ball" is designed to give you strobe tuner type accuracy and can be very helpful when adjusting intonation.

1. Tune your string with the grid and arrows as normal
2. When both arrows are lit you will see the "Magic 8-Ball" rotating one way or the other. If it is rotating counter-clockwise you are flat. Clockwise - you are sharp. The faster the ball rotates the more sharp or flat you are.
3. Slowly continue to adjust your pitch until the ball slows and stops. Do not be alarmed if you are unable to stop the ball's movement completely. NOTE: The black circle DOES NOT have to be at the top of the ball, it just has to stop (or slow) it's rotation as much as possible.

I don't understand how people can buy one of the most innovative and complex piece of gear out there and don't grab one of its simplest features. How do they think they can master the more complex functions let alone really complex routings?

Last edited:
I don't understand how people can buy one if the most innovative and complex piece of gear out there and don't grab one of its simplest features. How do they think they can master the more complex functions let alone really complex routings?

Well, some people just tune their guitar by ear. If it sounds good, it's good :mrgreen

I don't understand how people can buy one if the most innovative and complex piece of gear out there and don't grab one of its simplest features. How do they think they can master the more complex functions let alone really complex routings?

They don't. They come here and make posts about how the Axe doesn't sound good instead.

I never used it. I get close with the arrows and then i always temper it according to the chords im playing. im just not that ocd about tuning i guess
To each his own!

Good explanation. I was fine with it, have zero problems with tuner. And I generally ignore the ball, but these posts get me looking at it. I'm glad Cliff is leaving it. It's certainly easier that my Peterson StroboStomp - that thing confuses me. But I have never really given it a chance, not a criticism.

Good explanation. I was fine with it, have zero problems with tuner. And I generally ignore the ball, but these posts get me looking at it. I'm glad Cliff is leaving it. It's certainly easier that my Peterson StroboStomp - that thing confuses me. But I have never really given it a chance, not a criticism.

I endorse Peterson Tuners, perhaps I can help you? A strobe tuner will be very similar in that movement up is sharp and movement down is flat. You want to get the display to stop rotating up or down and "freeze". Message me if you have any specific questions I might be able to assist you with.

I still dont believe there are people who dont grasp its concept, it must be something else. Unless maybe some guys are loaded, and have just bought a guitar and an axe fx II. I always thought the axe fx 2 was one of those units you eventually work up to after many years playing guitar lol.

I also find it rather odd that someone wouldn't be able to understand it, but I'm here to help! LOL

Thanks for doing that Admins...I didn't want to be presumptuous and ask for a sticky, but that makes sense!

Seriously? Does anyone actually need this explained? Can you imagine what the support emails are like for Fractal if this is a problem that people are having?

Never paid attention to the ball before. The bit on the ball stopping does not need to be at 12 o'clock was helpful. Thanks.

Reading the manual = Admitting defeat lol

Back
Top Bottom