How to turn direct monitoring off???

deckard1070

Hello,

If I am using the FM3 as an audio interface in conjunction with Logic, how do I turn off direct monitoring from the FM3? Otherwise, I get an unwanted doubling effect...sound from Logic via software monitoring plus sound from the FM3 via direct monitoring. I am trying to just use the amps from the FM3 and the effects I have setup in Logic.

Thanks.

One option: Use usb channels 3/4 from Logic and set the playback destination for channels 3/4 to the output 2 jacks in the i/o settings. That will send the playback to the output 2 jacks where it will be separate from the grid output. That way you can connect your monitors to the output 2 jacks and only hear the playback audio.

Another option: use configuration #2 here and set your output device in Logic to system setting (if you'll be doing this often, this is probably the better option):
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axefx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Last edited:
You could rig up your own headphone output from output 2 jacks with cable adapters, like people did with the non-headphone version.

Just use the OUT 2 block on the grid instead of OUT 1. Record that output using USB inputs 3 & 4. Keep DAW playback on USB Outputs 1 & 2 to send them to Output 1 and the headphone jack on the FM3. No OUT 1 block is needed for DAW playback. It goes to the hardware outputs, not the grid. You can pull up a totally empty preset and still record a DI and hear USB playback.

I assumed deckard1070 is looking for an option that doesn't include the out 2 block. Now that I reread his question, maybe I misunderstood? Yes, that will work if you don't mind editing your presets.

Just use the OUT 2 block on the grid instead of OUT 1. Record that output using USB inputs 3 & 4. Keep DAW playback on USB Outputs 1 & 2 to send them to Output 1 and the headphone jack on the FM3. No OUT 1 block is needed for DAW playback. It goes to the hardware outputs, not the grid. You can pull up a totally empty preset and still record a DI and hear USB playback.
Will give this a shot. Thanks!

So sorry...I must be doing something wrong. Is this set up correct?:

I set the output on the grid in the FM3 to Out 2. I then created two audio tracks in Logic...one audio track is set to output 1-2 (Logic effects included) and the other audio track is set to output 3-4. Software monitoring in Logic is on. I only hear the dry signal, or DI, from the FM3 headphone output. I was hoping to hear the effects from Logic combined with what I have set up on the grid in the FM3.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 11.05.07 AM.jpeg

I think you're mixing the instructions from the two different methods suggested above :). You should do one or the other. If you want to take the approach where you modify your presets, you'll need your Logic track to to take input from usb 3/4 instead of 1/2. The output will remain at 1/2 so you can hear it through your monitors.

But...again, if you're going to be doing this often, I'd recommend doing what I suggested above about using configuration #2. That way, when you want to monitor with plugins, all you have to do is reach over and turn down your FM3 output. No preset editing or I/O changes needed.

But...again, if you're going to be doing this often, I'd recommend doing what I suggested above about using configuration #2. That way, when you want to monitor with plugins, all you have to do is reach over and turn down your FM3 output. No preset editing or I/O changes needed.
Yeah...that's pretty much how I am going to use it. If I am understanding this correctly sounds like your option 2 is the way to go like you said. What adapter do you need to make the output 2 jack on the FM3 capable of being a headphone output? Also, how would you configure things if not using monitors...only headphones to listen?

Last edited:
Yeah...that's pretty much how I am going to use it. If I am understanding this correctly sounds like your option 2 is the way to go like you said. What adapter do you need to make the output 2 jack on the FM3 capable of being a headphone output? Also, how would you configure things if not using monitors...only headphones to listen?
If you're only using headphones and not monitors, just plug the headphones into the output of the mixer, using an adapter if necessary. If you want both monitors and headphones, and want to switch between them without recabling, just make sure your mixer has headphone jacks.

If you're only using headphones and not monitors, just plug the headphones into the output of the mixer, using an adapter if necessary. If you want both monitors and headphones, and want to switch between them without recabling, just make sure your mixer has headphone jacks.
Thanks. I'm confused on what purpose the mixer is accomplishing. Can you please explain? Thanks.

In your specific case, the benefit is: it allows you to switch back and forth between monitoring direct and monitoring through Logic without the need to edit presets, change I/O settings, or move cables. When you want to monitor with plugins, simply turn on input monitoring in Logic and turn down the FM3 channel on the mixer.

In your specific case, the benefit is: it allows you to switch back and forth between monitoring direct and monitoring through Logic without the need to edit presets, change I/O settings, or move cables. When you want to monitor with plugins, simply turn on input monitoring in Logic and turn down the FM3 channel on the mixer.
I understand now. Thanks. How simple a stereo line mixer will suffice? What kind of cables from the FM3 to the mixer? 1/4" balanced? Would this work?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie/Mix5-5-Channel-Compact-Mixer.gc

Last edited:
Kind of related to the OP but also kind of different. I’d like to be able to record the DI guitar signal from USB 3/4 and also record the processed guitar signal from the FM3. The DI signal will have software plugins applied. While doing this I’d like to have the ability to choose which track to listen two without the sound of the processed signal from the FM3 always being active.

Is this possible?

Back
Top Bottom