How to think about splice parameter in Crystal Pitch effect?

tlainhart

Inspired
I was working with the Crystal sub-effect in the Pitch effect last night. There are parameters in there for "splice times" on the Voice 1 and 2, specified in milliseconds. The manual explains it thusly: "VOICE1,2 SPLICE - Sets the splice time of the voice in milliseconds."

How do I think about this? What is being spliced? Both tempo and direction work with splices. I searched the forum but came up empty.

thanks -- Todd

Re: How to thing about splice parameter in Crystal Pitch effect?

I've never understood it either and usually left it alone. When I did mess with it, I had a hard time figuring out what exactly what I was changing and how. If anyone can explain it, I'm all ears.

D

I received this answer - I've updated the wiki accordingly:

The effect works by chopping the audio up into little chunks and playing the chunks back at a different speed. Splice Time sets the size of the chunks.

I think that makes sense. I'll try to play with it a little tonight if I can and see if I have any better luck. I always do better with a control once I know exactly what it does. Just blindly turning knobs never seems to yield good results for me.

Thanks!
D

Back
Top Bottom