How to think about channels

Here is a way to think about and explain channels that I have used again and again.

The name CHANNEL comes from the world of TV and radio, where different channels would broadcast different content.

Picture a top of the line late 80s rackmount rig. Yes, it was glorious. Resist drooling down memory lane. What you have now is better.

On that old rig, your amp head was a switchable 4-channel preamp. It had four CHANNELS. You'd dial each channel in as desired. Set it and forget it.

You also had a bunch of other gear. You programmed a few different favorite pre-set settings in your Lexicon. Think of these as CHANNELS (though they weren't called this). You had other rackmount effects. Maybe they had their own channel-like settings (SPX90) or maybe they had one setting and a bypass/engage switch (Tri-Stereo-Chorus). You had various pedals with only one setting, but they could be switched in or out.

Now, in this old rig, everything is wired together and a foot controller is used to burst messages to all of the different pieces of connected gear. In the foot controller, these sets of instructions could be saved, allowing you to load up different sound scene presets. We call them SCENES on the Axe-Fx III because a preset is the rig itself. Here are a few examples from the old world:

Tap #1: Clean Chorus
Hey Amp Head! Change to your Clean Channel!
Hey Lexicon! Give me that sweet AMBIENCE sound.
Hey DBX! Hey Tri-Stereo Chorus rack! Engage please.
All Pedals: Bypass please.

Tap #2: Rhythm
Amp Head! Change to your Crunch Channel!
SPX90: Just a little dual detune please.
Everybody else: Bypass please. Let's keep this one pretty raw.

Tap #3: Lead
Amp Head! Change to your Lead Channel!
Hey Lexicon! Gimme Circular Delays.
Boost Pedal: Engage!
Everybody else: Stand down.

Tap #4: Clean Lead
Amp Head! Change to your Clean Channel!
Lexicon! Gimme Circular Delays.
SPX90: Ducked reverb please.
Boost Pedal: Engage!
Everybody else: Bypass.

Notice how scenes #1 and #4 use a shared amp channel but produce totally different sounds because other effects and settings have changed? The Axe-Fx III works on this same principle. A CHANNEL is a unique group of sound settings allowing you to have four times the number of settings from a single block.

In my experience building and supporting pro rigs, I have found that most people find this to be SUPERIOR to the per-parameter snapshot approach, because it behaves more like traditional equipment. What some see as a con (less granularity) becomes a pro when you can change a channel in one place and have it update automatically across all scenes that use it. Wait... You want a truly unique sound setting in just one scene? Use a different channel (or even a different block)! You say want that feature from your Brand-L unit where a parameter can have a different value in every scene? Check out SCENE CONTROLLERS which allows exactly this.

So in short, don't try to correlate Channels A,B,C,D with Scenes 1,2,3,4. Instead, build your first scene, then decide what you need for your second scene and build that, and so on. If you run out (pretty unlikely) get creative and delve into the advanced features.

Remember, in the same way you are always using at least one scene even when you never change scenes, you are likewise always using one channel per block even if you never plan to change channels. Most presets have most effects set to channel A.

I'll also note that the number of top pros who don't use any of this. They just switch presets and no one notices the very short gap. There are obvious exceptions, where everything is "under the microscope" by not only the artist, but others as well.

Thanks Matt, that was helpful

Yeah, you have to really wrap your head around the fact of just how big and how capable a single preset in the AFIII can be. Once you understand the capacity & capability of a single preset it’ll become clear not only everything you can do but also why the available user preset slots wasn’t a gargantuan number. It simply doesn’t need to be.

I'm with the OP here, channels are great, very powerful and useful, but three months after switching from the Helix, I still miss the ability to alter parameters within scenes/snapshots independently and on the fly. I find the scene controllers far from intuitive and they also lock up the parameter they're controlling so you can't just give it a little tweak if needed. It would simplify things so much if all the yellow dotted controls were just independent per scene. But if I had to choose one system as is, over the other, I'd still go with the Axe, channels are so powerful and if you use two blocks you can have eight independent scenes, albeit a bit sledgehammer and nut.

I'm with the OP here, channels are great, very powerful and useful, but three months after switching from the Helix, I still miss the ability to alter parameters within scenes/snapshots independently and on the fly. I find the scene controllers far from intuitive and they also lock up the parameter they're controlling so you can't just give it a little tweak if needed. It would simplify things so much if all the yellow dotted controls were just independent per scene. But if I had to choose one system as is, over the other, I'd still go with the Axe, channels are so powerful and if you use two blocks you can have eight independent scenes, albeit a bit sledgehammer and nut.

I have to agree with this. I understand that scene controllers were done this way so that you could control multiple parameters at once with the same set of values, but I can't think of any situation where I did that. The scene controller approach is probably too deeply rooted in the software to change, but hypothetically it could be more intuitive.

Thanks for the explanation @Admin M@. I do better when I get the mental model behind the stuff I'm working with.

I can deal with it, I already am. The III is so powerful, and sounds and feels so good to me, how it is is how it is.

You can always change presets as well.

i made a video a while ago explaining Presets vs Scenes vs Channels (XY) for the Axe2. it's a bit long, but the beginning explains the impetus of channels and scenes. if you have some time, it's probably worth a look. this video was made at the time when people requested that my videos were slower moving and longer with explanations, so maybe set the playback speed to 1.5x or so to get through it:

but the take away is this: consider that most effects units like the Axe for a long time ONLY had presets. if you wanted a different sound or effects combination, you needed to change Presets, unless you wanted to hit 5 switches quickly to change things.

again, that was the only way.

the Axe-Fx II launched with a feature called XY - what we call Channels on the Axe3. i believe this was around 2011. now in the same preset, if you wanted 2 different Amp sounds, you could just change XY (channels) without changing presets. this allowed you to use less preset slots and also keep the effects layout the exact same since you didn't change presets.

this was a great addition, but you still sorta had to press multiple switches at once if you wanted to change the Amp tone and turn on delay, and turn off reverb, etc.

in 2012, i believe from the suggestion of Steve Vai, Scenes were introduced. the main point of Scenes was to allow multiple blocks to be turned on and off with a single switch press. that was really the main point. 8 Scenes were implemented, which let you have 8 different "pedal loops" if you want to think of it in an analog way. so S1 could be dry, S2 could add chorus and delay, S3 could add reverb and EQ (while turning off anything else that was on), etc. etc. additionally, Scenes allowed channel changing. so these things together really created a powerful way to change a bunch of things without leaving the preset.

when Scenes first launched, some had a really tough time using them, because settings could be "hidden" within the other channel. for these people, there were too many "layers" to think about when either glancing at a preset to adjust it or just know what it could do. so i have always suggested to just stick with presets and don't change channels and don't change scenes. then what you see is what you get.

on my Axe-Fx Ultra back in 2007 - 2011, i used 5 presets - clean dry, clean chorus, crunch, rhythm distortion, lead distortion. really no big deal - again all gear basically used the same preset architecture to accomplish those 5 different sounds. everyone was used to this. but then Channels and Scenes on the Axe2 allowed me to use just one preset to get all 5 sounds using the 2 amp channels (clean and distortion amp), a drive pedal for crunch, and the effects turning on and off as needed. i only used 5 of the 8 scenes ever.

enter the Axe3 which just expands on this. we still have the 8 Scenes, but now with 4 channels, i could use 4 amp types among the Scenes for specific amp tones, so i don't even have drive blocks anymore.

remember that Scenes were implemented for the main purpose of turning multiple blocks on and off with one switch press. that's its function. and it can change channels too, which is great. Scenes were never intended to give 8 completely different sounds, block arrangements, settings, etc. they were never "eight completely different presets within a preset." they were more an approach to turn things on and off at once 8 different ways.

i think knowing the history of Scenes and how they came to be can help people understand how to use them.

so Scenes on a multi-fx unit were introduced on the Axe2 in 2012. from there, other brands implemented a "scenes" concept and approached them differently. somehow, the Line 6 Helix line was able to adjust any knob in any block with their Snapshot feature. maybe there's less knobs to move, or maybe the CPU is handled differently. regardless, Snapshots are similar to Axe Scenes, but not exactly the same. maybe Line 6 approached it to specifically allow changing all knobs as it can. but Axe Scenes were not created to do that specifically. they just were to turn multiple blocks on/off and change channels with one switch.

you don't have to use all 4 channels, and you don't have to use all 8 scenes. today on the 3, i still just use 5 scenes, similar to what i described before. it's very straight forward and mostly different levels of gain. on my AX8, i've recently used a Scene Controller to keep the same clean amp (vox type) but step through gain stages there for my clean and crunch sounds. this adds another layer of complexity and it's definitely not "what you see is what you get."

so for those struggling with keeping Scenes and Channels organized in their mind, i still recommend using different presets and not changing channels or scenes at all. some are able to keep these different "layers of settings" in their mind, and some have trouble. which is fine! use what makes sense to you. in general, i see time and time again where people come from a simple real amp and a few pedals to the Axe-Fx, and feel they need to use EVERYTHING in the axe - all amp advanced parameters, all 8 scenes, as many blocks that can fit, all channels, scene controllers, etc etc. you don't have to do that :)

if your previous rig was a 2 channel marshall with delay and chorus, then just use that in the Axe. no need to push it to 11 and cram everything in there and possibly get confused during the performance. in my opinion, just using one amp model and a few other blocks is well worth the full price of the axe. no need to use every single thing to justify using it. use what you know. learn as you go and add things when able.

Last edited:
A lot of really good advice and explanations already, so I’ll try give you an example of how I use these features to meet my needs.

For any given tune(s)/preset I typically use one amp model type.

I change tones/gain at the amp with scene controllers gradually increasing over 4 scenes (for input, master, and/or boost values; plus manual guitar pup switch and vol knob) for increasing levels of amp distortion.

For Cleans, a channel change for an amp copy but ... set to “Normal”/Low via trim ~<0.65 - 0.50 setting, with maybe low value scene controller on input; maybe some output compression ... varies by taste du jour.

Scenes also control my desired FX states for delays, drives, comps, chorus, reverbs, filters, etc for my rhythm, leads, and clns.

There is room enough for extra scenes so I may have stuff i.e. phaser or rotary saturated, or dotted 1/8ths in front of amp tape delays, etc. in a scene within the preset.

Dunno if that helps?

I use Exp.pedals for Vol, Wah, Delay repeats/mix, flange/chorus/wildcard mix w FC12

remember that Scenes were implemented for the main purpose of turning multiple blocks on and off with one switch press. that's its function. and it can change channels too, which is great. Scenes were never intended to give 8 completely different sounds, block arrangements, settings, etc. they were never "eight completely different presets within a preset." they were more an approach to turn things on and off at once 8 different ways.

I wouldn't expect scenes to change different blocks, the order of them, or the shape of the chain, but it seems logical for them to recall at least some settings within the blocks themselves, which would certainly be very useful indeed.

I wouldn't expect scenes to change different blocks, the order of them, or the shape of the chain, but it seems logical for them to recall at least some settings within the blocks themselves, which would certainly be very useful indeed.
sure, but that's exactly the function of Channels. Channels recall settings within the blocks themselves.

it'd be great for Scenes to do this, but consider 10 blocks in a preset, with 50 - 100 parameters in each, that's a ton of data to change. and that's the function of Presets - to completely change all settings at once.

so i personally don't think we'll see Scenes be able to change potentially every single parameter in every block unless the approach to things changes drastically.

again, we can all still simply change Presets if we need something that major. Scenes just turn on/off blocks and change channels. Scenes are not presets and were not intended to be.

Sounds like you may have inside knowledge as a beta tester. The implication appears to be that rewriting the scene code to allow changing a single parameter randomly chosen by the user is not feasible within the Axe-FX architecture. That's pretty much what I expected. There are certainly plenty of other ways of doing things on the Axe-FX, but the implementation Doctor Wu mentioned is particularly elegant.

Last edited:
it'd be great for Scenes to do this, but consider 10 blocks in a preset, with 50 - 100 parameters in each, that's a ton of data to change. and that's the function of Presets - to completely change all settings at once.

The Helix lets you have 64 per preset, defined by the user, that's always been plenty for me.

Sounds like you may have inside knowledge as a beta tester. The implication appears to be that rewriting the scene code to allow changing a single parameter randomly chosen by the user is not feasible within the Axe-FX architecture. That's pretty much what I expected. There are certainly plenty of other ways of doing things on the Axe-FX, but the implementation Doctor Wu mentioned is particularly elegant.
No inside knowledge here. Just since 2012 we haven’t seen any major change and FAS has stated various things publicly that make me think it won’t change. I could be wrong, but just from its implementation for years, and Matt’s explanation in this thread, it doesn’t seem to be the goal for scenes.

I’m mostly saying to use it how it is currently rather than waiting for it to change. Just my opinion on it.

The Helix lets you have 64 per preset, defined by the user, that's always been plenty for me.
Me too. Never hit that limit, not once in 3 1/2 years.

Besides having a lot of them available, the key thing is that it's a very simple design. Just set a parameter to be controlled by what they call the Snapshot Controller, which just means it has independent settings in each snapshot. You don't have to plan out or research or deal with how that affects other snapshots or parameters, just set it how you want it in each snapshot. By default, parameters aren't hooked to the Snapshot Controller, so they have the same value in every snapshot. You only need to enable that for the ones you want to be snapshot-specific.

It is true that if you want to use the same settings in another snapshot, you either have to copy them manually, or copy the whole snapshot and edit it. Doing it manually is easier on the Helix, because it has way fewer parameters than the III (not a plus otherwise). Also, I typically only controlled a few things by snapshot; the reset just stayed the same.

Anyway, I'm not here to knock the Axe, which I love, or to suggest that it should adopt the Helix architecture in this regard, which probably won't happen.

I was mostly trying to understand how the designer(s) were thinking about this, so I can adjust my wetware to make best use of it. @Admin M@ and @chris have helped a ton, I'm good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom