How to tell if your Axe II has had the mod....???

I just bought a Mesa Mark V, and I connected the Axe via 4cm. I had heard and read that many folks had issues with noise in a 4cm connection, especially with a Mesa. I have owned many Mesas, used 4cm with various other multieffects, and never had a problem-but I also didn't own the II. I read in the wiki that Fractal modded the output 2 on later units and the mod makes a huge difference. I just want to Be able to tell if my Axe II Mark II has had the mod done on it....

No need to mod the Mark II. All models after a certain time, and prior to the Mark II, already have Output 2 done that way.

So far, the 4cm and Mark have been working great- setting levels is daunting- but they have been playing together nice- at low bedroom volumes. Turning up to live levels could be where "the hiss" lives...either way, there is room in my life for both Fractal and Mark.

The Mark II already has the mod. If you have a Mark I you would need to contact FAS support & provide them your serial number. They usually do the mod for free but you have to pay for shipping both ways. I had the mod done a few months ago and the shipping from Rochester, NY USA cost me over $70.

If you don't have the mod the 4CM will sound like a constant static white noise. It won't sound like normal dynamic noise or Hum. After the mod the 4CM with a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 & Mesa Boogie TriAxis was almost silent with no noise gates but before the mod the hiss was almost as loud as the guitar signal.

I am confused.
Is there an issue with OUTPUT 2?

Many have claimed that using the Axe with a high gain amp in 4cm has introduced a ton of hiss rendering it nearly unusable in some situations. There is a confirmed mod that lowers the amount of hiss from output 2, and later Axe II have had this mod installed in the factory as stock build.
I just want to know if my Axe has had this mod installed so if I experience the hiss, I can look at a solution.

I just want to know if my Axe has had this mod installed so if I experience the hiss, I can look at a solution.

Just connect output 2 and output 1 to your audio interface, nothing in the grid, and record the "silence". Or measure it. If output 2 is noisier than output 1 it does not have the mod.

The Mark II already has the mod.

First time I read this! In the other topic (see my post above for link) one guy asked for several times and if I remember correctly FAS stated that there was no output 2 mod in the mark II. There is a very/too lengthy discussion about this in that topic. Also FAS has stated that the only difference between the mark I and II is that the mark II has the better ethernet connector. Never read from FAS about the output 2 hiss mod in mark II. Would be good if it had the mod though since many people are complaining about this hiss (me too). Maybe we are talking about a different mod, not the output 2 hiss mod?

Would be nice if someone from FAS could conform this. There is already a lot of confusion about this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom