How to take the blanket off 800 models?

will romero

I'm trying to make a decent late 80's slayer sound with the two 800 models and marshall IRs. Im running a 10 band eq after the amps into the cabs with a mid boost. Thats about it really. How do you make it "pop" with that in your face punch? Is thhere a block i could ad and tweak to produce this effect? Or am i being silly and just needing to crank my volume a bit more? Will post patch when i get home. Thanks Broba Fett!

man, if any amp model in the Axe doesn't have a blanket on it, it's the 800's....those things will take your head off in the best way.

I found the Marshall sounds not so hot until I bought the ML Soundlabs IR’s.
The Silver and the one based on The Friedman 4x12’s.

It was a huge improvement but I end up using the Friedman models and Carol Ann for those types of tones.

Make sure the master volume is relatively high & then keep lowering the transformer match until you’re happy.

not sure why you're having problems. i would use cabs with v30's in and do the mid boost before the amp, not after. use an 808 with drive low and level high, or a peq/geq with a mid hump and level up a bit. the standard 800 sounds great right out of the box with no tweaks to anything when it's set up like this, but the sound i like is probably very different from what you're after. there's a rig rundown on youtube where you can see kfk's amp settings

Last edited:
i found some eq settings. 10-band geq, in front of the amp...

31Hz= +3db
62Hz= +3db
125Hz= +3db
250Hz= +5db
500Hz= +9db
1kHz= +8db
2kHz= +6db
4kHz= +4db
8kHz= +2db
16kHz= +0db

level = +4db

no idea how accurate these are, or how it sounds, imo

What 'Marshall IRs' exactly are you using?

As said- those Marshall's will tear your head off!!

So likely it's an appropriate cab you need....try something with V30s just like Simeon said. He also mentioned using the eq before the amp which I agree with.

I'd also try the bright switch and if it's still not enough, adjust the bright cap...but usually just some adjustments to the presence and treble should be plenty bite.....

Are you using the amps together at once?

Lastly, what are you using for listening? Studio monitors, headphones, power amp and cab?

here's a patch. listening to isolated slayer guitars on youtube, I hear some very different tones. some are quite middly and soft and others are quite scooped, so I dunno what you're after.

Attachments

• Brit 800 KK EQ.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
i also got a decent sound using the 808 mod drive, or the fas boost instead of the eq. drive on zero, level on 10. not sure if it would be scooped enough though...

i think the right cabs will make a huge difference.

Yikes, the 800 models are the last amps that I'd describe as having a blanket on them. Are you sure you have things setup properly?

finally got the patch sorry been busy. maybe someone can give me some insight as to how to tweak it a bit better

Attachments

• SLAYER.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 10
here's a patch. listening to isolated slayer guitars on youtube, I hear some very different tones. some are quite middly and soft and others are quite scooped, so I dunno what you're after.
definitely a mids sound guy. not sure what FW the patch you provided is but sounds quite clippy on my end.

like i said not looking for more in the highs or anything just like more in your face i guess? hard to describe exactly what it is.

Did you try the brit mod amp? That gets you a slayer kinda sound real quick.....every time I play that amp it reminds me of slayer lol it's one of the meanest amps in the box

Not at home to look at the preset yet, but that with a tube screamer mod drive in front to dive the amp gets you there with little effort.

Back
Top Bottom