How to start on Logic, Superior drummer, or getting my own songs done from scratch.

TakaraGold

Experienced
Hi guys,

I was just wondering whats the right way to start creating my own projects, I have tons of recorded guitar tracks, and basic ideas for songs. A little more than a month ago, I got a new laptop, this time I switchwd from pc to a Macbook pro, so its all really new to me. I have the fasttrack pro interface, which sounds pretty decent, and I also record the Axe through Usb sometimes. So I started getting some good programs to start recording and making drum tracks. I downloaded cracked vesions (to start learning and not coughing up a lot of dough in trying software) of Logic, Protools, Superior Drummer and EZ drummer.
Protools looks great, but it doesnt allow me to select the fasttrack interface to record or playback sounds (maybe this card is not supported my Protools?). Logic works fin, havent recorded a thing yet though.
I installed Superior drummer, and Ez drummer, installation was fine according to the installer, but I have no idea whatsoever about how to start using these programs. Do I load them through Logic? How do I record drum tracks with them? what is the easiest and best recording software for use with Mac?
Im starting on something really new to me, and would really appreciate any help I can get.
Can I use my m-Audio Axiom midi keyboard to control drumsounds and make the drumtracks a little quicker?
Got tons of music all I need is to learn how to make decent drum tracks, how and which program shall I use to record them with, and which way is better to record the Axe2, usb? Regular instrument output to interface, or xlr to interface?

Thanks I really appreciate!

Leo Z.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Logic is the easiest DAW to get your head around, also, it'll support your interfaces too! ProTools requires an iLok which may be why it won't see your peripherals.

Yes, you can use your keyboard to program in drum sounds.

Try messing about with some of the preset sounds and watch some youtube videos on getting a nice drum sound both within Superior Drummer and by routing it out and using Logic's own plug-ins or any others you decide to get!

Have fun :)

Thanks man! I was thinking the ilok might be the issue. Erasing protools as soon as I get back home. Does Logic allow for some mastering? And do I load Superior as a vst on Logic?

Yupp, Logic allows for that easily. Maybe start with EZ Drummer, it's easier to get sounding good and will give you great fundamental knowledge when you decide to go to superior! You open it on a software instrument track, as either vst or Audio Unit.

Hey man, you may also want to check out Studio One by Presonus. They have a free trial version that you can download. I have used several different DAWs, including the current version of Logic Pro, and I now won't consider using anything else. It is far more intuitive and easy to ramp up on than anything else I have ever used, and it's drag and drop approach to most things make it easy to get things done quickly. In addition, if you get the Pro version of it, it has a built in mastering suite. With there being an official free version to try, you really have nothing to lose by checking it out.

Logic is the easiest DAW to get your head around, also, it'll support your interfaces too! ProTools requires an iLok which may be why it won't see your peripherals.

Yes, you can use your keyboard to program in drum sounds.

Try messing about with some of the preset sounds and watch some youtube videos on getting a nice drum sound both within Superior Drummer and by routing it out and using Logic's own plug-ins or any others you decide to get!

Have fun :)

I hate to say this, but the above is absurd: different people think different ways, and have different hemispheres of the brain dominant. Logic may be such for the Mr. Grant - but it's not for me. It's all a matter a of taste. I like the combo of Addictive drums (the best sounding, to my ear) and Samplitude (also the best sounding, to my ear - an DO NOT beleive the hype that since they're all 'digital' and all 'software' that all DAWs sound the same - there are many different ways to write a summing algorithm, for example.

I hate to say this, but the above is absurd: different people think different ways, and have different hemispheres of the brain dominant. Logic may be such for the Mr. Grant - but it's not for me. It's all a matter a of taste. I like the combo of Addictive drums (the best sounding, to my ear) and Samplitude (also the best sounding, to my ear - an DO NOT beleive the hype that since they're all 'digital' and all 'software' that all DAWs sound the same - there are many different ways to write a summing algorithm, for example.

I do agree with you to an extent, but given the choice between Logic and Pro Tools for programming any midi, logic wins out as the easiest for a complete beginner to grasp due to gestures on the MacBook and sheer intuitiveness. Taken out of context, yes, it may be absurd but, in the context of the OP, it's a sensible and thought out answer.

I've heard many people describe editing midi in Pro Tools as "Trying to eat soup with a knife" and I'd agree.

Great response guys,thanks a bunch! Will dig into Logic a bit more. Theres another thing. Im running a little short on ports. The mcbook I bought comes with 2 usb ports, one thunderbolt and one firewire. How can I make the best out of them? My current interface is usb, the AxeFx2 is usb as well, and I have 2 hard dives, one of 1tb capacity, for work and recoding, one of 500gb cap. which I use to store my itunes library. Would a powered usb hub work safely for the hard drives? Because Id rather have one port for the Interface, and one for the harddrives. Switching between the interface and the AxeFx2 if needed. Thanks again!

Great response guys,thanks a bunch! Will dig into Logic a bit more. Theres another thing. Im running a little short on ports. The mcbook I bought comes with 2 usb ports, one thunderbolt and one firewire. How can I make the best out of them? My current interface is usb, the AxeFx2 is usb as well, and I have 2 hard dives, one of 1tb capacity, for work and recoding, one of 500gb cap. which I use to store my itunes library. Would a powered usb hub work safely for the hard drives? Because Id rather have one port for the Interface, and one for the harddrives. Switching between the interface and the AxeFx2 if needed. Thanks again!

Just use the Axe-Fx as your audio interface, I do this and it works fine with Logic. Be sure to turn software monitoring off in your audio preferences though, and if you find there is any latency use the "Low-Latency" button down on the bottom right hand side!

Also, why not subscribe to iTunes match? It'd free up a hard drive and a space for USB! I can't shed any light on Hubs as I don't use or own one.

Back
Top Bottom