How to simulate modern pick ups?

The 5th fret harmonic has a fundamental at 160Hz. Actually, it's lower than that.

When you play a 5th fret harmonic on the low E, the lowest frequency produced is 330 Hz. It's the same pitch as the open high E.

What do you think the fundamental frequency of the open low E string is?

When you play a 5th fret harmonic on the low E, the lowest frequency produced is 330 Hz. It's the same pitch as the open high E.

The following is the FR of the 5th fret harmonic of the low E. The fundamental is not 330Hz:

5th%20Fret%20Harmonic.jpg

Looks like approx. 80Hz., 160Hz, 240Hz., and 320Hz. - the frequency content of a low E string with normal integer harmonics.
However the frequency we hear with a 5th fret harmonic on 6th string is going to be 320Hz.. right?

The fundamentals are not the same, no. The high E is, in fact, 330Hz. That's correct. However, the low E's 5th fret harmonic is approx. 83Hz.

Didn't you just say it was 340 Hz in the previous post?

The low E fundamental is ~82.4 Hz. When you play a 5th fret harmonic on the low E you suppress the fundamental and 1st octave harmonic (165 Hz) leaving ~330 Hz as the lowest frequency. That's the same note as the open high E string. 340 Hz would be about halfway between E and F.

Didn't you just say it was 340 Hz in the previous post?

That was in the context of the high E string's 5th fret harmonic, which is what I originally thought BillyZeppa was referring to. However, after re-reading his comment, it's apparent he's referring to the low E.

The low E fundamental is ~82.4 Hz. When you play a 5th fret harmonic on the low E you suppress the fundamental and 1st octave harmonic (165 Hz) leaving ~330 Hz as the lowest frequency.

Look at the image I posted of the low E's 5th fret harmonic spectrum. The fundamental is not 330Hz. The 82.41Hz fundamental doesn't look suppressed to my eyes. Try it yourself.

Last edited:
Was that the spectrum of a processed tone? My only guesses are that you ether used the wrong clip/image, or didn't get a very clear harmonic.

It's tough to lift from the string after sounding a harmonic and not generate some visible lower frequencies. Those are 50-70 dB below the 330 Hz level when that happens on the harmonic here. I don't know why your example has them at equal or higher levels.

FhPa3Fd.jpg

Spectrum reproduced using the DI of the same harmonic:

5th%20Fret%20Harmonic%202.jpg
Your plot shows the root, 2nd and 3rd harmonic all at the same level, and higher than anything else in the spectrum. That's the signature of an open low-E string, not a fifth-fret harmonic.

Your plot shows the root, 2nd and 3rd harmonic all at the same level, and higher than anything else in the spectrum. That's the signature of an open low-E string, not a fifth-fret harmonic.

Or possibly taken from the instant of picking or immediately after. It basically looks like white noise with slight bumps at open string fundamental/harmonics, like the (mostly) solid vertical red line when the harmonic is picked in my image. For example, why is the content at 40 Hz only about 5 dB lower than the highest peaks?

No, this is the signature of the open E on my end:

Open%20E.jpg

No, this is the signature of the open E on my end:

Open%20E.jpg
Exactly. The root, second and third harmonic are all at the same level, and higher than anything else in the spectrum, just like in your previous plot that you said was of the fifth-fret harmonic.

Exactly. The root, second and third harmonic are all at the same level, and higher than anything else in the spectrum.

Which is independent of the fact that the first image is a capture of the 5th harmonic and the one above is the spectrum of an open E. There's an obvious difference between the two in terms of depth of valleys and shape of peaks.

Yes, which is independent of the fact that the first image is of the 5th harmonic and the one above is of an open E.
But they both have the same spectrum, so they must sound the same.

A 5th-fret harmonic is clearly two octaves above the open string. You can hear the difference easily. But you've posted two plots which have essentially the same frequency content.

Last edited:
But they both have the same spectrum, so they must sound the same.

If you think an open E sounds like a 5th fret harmonic of the low E string, sure. No, obviously they don't sound the same, nor does the graph show an exact match. Superimpose both images on top of one another.

Post the recording of this DI if possible. I'll check it out in Reaper like the earlier example.

I think you're using too small of a window too close to the moment of picking the string. Look at the image I posted. There's nothing significant sustaining below 330 Hz after the harmonic is picked.

Back
Top Bottom