How to simulate Mesa "Simul-Class?"

vector

I don't know if this has been answered yet. How do you get that chewy Mesa Mark Simul-Class power amp with 16.01? Thanks guys! Also, thank you Cliff for your dedication to making the Axe Fx the best it can be.

I inquired similar back in my Ultra days.

No clear answer as far as I recall.

I thinks it’s “baked in” on some of the USA models?🤷🏻‍♂️

I think I’m feeling it in the sound back then and till now but not sure. The USA sims have always sounded great though.

It would be cool if we could switch in and out a “Simul-Class” sim with other amp sims.

Then again may be insignificant 🤷🏻‍♂️

IIRC, the Mark models are Simul-Class. I find myself turning up Depth from the default value and that gets me closer to the sound I expect/like.

Edit: Yes, the Mark IIC+, at least, is modeled in Simul-Class, and according to Cliff, "If you want the sound of the non-Simul-Class version set Triode 1 Plate Freq to 1350 Hz."

Again, to me, it benefits from an increase in the Depth parameter. YMMV; I play through a single Headrush FRFR--112 or a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M20X headphones.

Last edited:
IIRC, the Mark models are Simul-Class. I find myself turning up Depth from the default value and that gets me closer to the sound I expect/like.

Edit: Yes, the Mark IIC+, at least, is modeled in Simul-Class, and according to Cliff, "If you want the sound of the non-Simul-Class version set Triode 1 Plate Freq to 1350 Hz."

Again, to me, it benefits from an increase in the Depth parameter. YMMV; I play through a single Headrush FRFR--112 or a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M20X headphones.
Thank you! I also use a Headrush when I'm out playing live. What are your go to low cut and hi cut settings for the HR if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you! I also use a Headrush when I'm out playing live. What are your go to low cut and hi cut settings for the HR if you don't mind me asking?

I make maybe a cut at 100 hz if I feel like it. That's about it, but I'm not playing with a band at the moment, just working on chops and exploring tones, and am not concerned with fitting in a mix. I used to think the Headrush sounded a bit off, but I took some advice to keep it off the floor to fight boominess and make sure I wasn't standing too close or directly in front of it to fight harshness, and that's been enough for me so far. With Depth at 2-3.0 (it defaults at 0 on the IIC+), it puts some power amp girth back in it and I'm pretty pleased.

Quick addendum: Because I'm playing at home, I have my Headrush at, like, maybe 1.5 at the most, which is plenty loud for a NYC apartment. At band levels, you may not need any more Depth. Just wanted to clarify that I've yet to have the opportunity to really push the Headrush and don't know how punchy it can actually get on its own.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the old days when i was running a Digitech gsp1101 into a mesa 2:90 simul class and 2 Mesa cabinets. I loved that deep mode. thump right in the chest. It was an addictive setting. man, that poweramp was one effing beast. Heavy as hell.
Agreed...and the reason for my hearing damage 😐 I had a 2101 running into a 2:90 and a 4x12 with EVM-12L’s. That power amp and cabinet were probably 70% of my tone.

I don't know if this has been answered yet. How do you get that chewy Mesa Mark Simul-Class power amp with 16.01? Thanks guys! Also, thank you Cliff for your dedication to making the Axe Fx the best it can be.
Not going to get into it too much -but it’s not running Class A for the EL34s and Class A/B for the 6L6s like they have you believe.
Apparently there were various versions of it too due to the garbage tubes avaliable in the early 90s.

My 86’ Mark III was simply glorious! The tone and sheer power was crazy magical!

From what I understand ....Mesa developed a way to have a class A amp run together with a class AB amp ...simultaneously ...with the class A amp imparting its sound overall. Hence the Simul-Class.

There is a “Half Power” switch that switches between half power with just the class A amp with 2 of the outer tubes only and the full on power position that kicked in the 2 inner tubes for both class A and class AB operation.

The sound and tone was no different but only louder in the full power on position.

So maybe the USA amp sims incorporating simulated class A power amp type equals Simul-Class? ...since no issues with vol power just raise the level?

My '87 Mark III still is :p
I still have mine!

I had Mesa refurbish the head and change out some worn parts ....ie...all thegraphic EQ sliders a couple pots and tubes.

It doesn’t sound the same ...I think it’s the brand tubes....never got to changing and trying out others as that was when I moved to Fractal.

Back
Top Bottom