How to simulate less gain and more dynamics on the lower notes only

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
i really like my low notes with less gain. Seems to help with percussive single notes. But the high notes suffer if I turn the gain down too much. Anyway to get this effect with a single amp block (AX8) without a ton of blocks?

I'm guessing there are some advanced parameters in the amp block that will help with this. Maybe the character settings can help bring out what you're looking for in the low notes.

Beyond that, one "hacky" thing you could try is two parallel filter blocks before the amp, one with a high pass and one with a low pass, both set to 4th order and the same frequency. Then place a drive block after the high pass filter, and feed the drive and the low pass filter into the amp block. That creates a poor man's crossover and you'll probably have to tweak the Q and frequency to avoid any potential phase issues.

I haven't tried this on the AX8 but the theory is sound. In my production mixes, I run parallel tracks with extra grit/crunch on just the high frequencies all the time. I do this to drums, vocals, and bass. I've never tried it with guitars.

You can experiment with the Pitch Modifier assigned to the Drive parameter maybe. Adjust the Min and Max knobs in the modifier screen and perhaps the slope. But lower notes will turn the knob down, higher notes up.

This is a unique approach to guitar though. I think most just play lighter on the lower strings to get a bit less gain? Depending on how things are set of course. Interesting concept.

You can experiment with the Pitch Modifier assigned to the Drive parameter maybe. Adjust the Min and Max knobs in the modifier screen and perhaps the slope. But lower notes will turn the knob down, higher notes up.

This is a unique approach to guitar though. I think most just play lighter on the lower strings to get a bit less gain? Depending on how things are set of course. Interesting concept.
Actually that's exactly how I have my drive block at the moment. It works okay but I'm still searching for something more. Playing lighter is not an option, I like to really attack the lower notes to get a percussive bite.. Think Paul Gilbert type picking. It just doesn't come through as well as I'd like.

Two that I can think of right now.......

1...(I haven't tested this) Try a GEQ block placed before the Amp block with the a few of the lower bands tapered off to reduce the level of the low-end interring the Amp, then add some back after the Amp if desired?

2...(My preferred and tested method) Add a modifier to the 'Input Drive' (affects tone) or 'Input Trim' (doesn't affect tone) and set the source to 'Pitch'. Set the 'Minimum' to the desired gain level for the low notes. Set the 'Maximum' to the desired gain level for the higher notes. Play with the 'Mid', 'Slope', 'Scale', and 'Offset' to get the gain to track the notes to give you the extra gain that you want, where you want it as you play higher notes.

Number 2 works great once you get the modifier curve right. Sort of like an automatic 'Rhythm' to 'Lead' switch. This same "Pitch controlled modifier' method has a lot of other uses. I use it quite a bit to automatically control other effects like Harmonies, Chorus, and Delays, etc... Cross fading gradually or suddenly (at a very specific note) between two different IR's, two different Amps, or two completely different signal chains.

I have posted several wishes for some enhancements to the 'Modifiers' to make this type of thing even more powerful.

Man, I type slow:p............Also another thought.

A 'Filter' block placed before the Amp set to 'Peeking'. Frequency set around 750hz to 1000hz. Use the 'Pitch Modifier' method to control the 'Gain' parameter. 'Minimum' at 0.00db, 'Maximum' at 6 to 10db?. Leaves the low notes alone, but adds more gain and fattens up the higher notes.

Actually that's exactly how I have my drive block at the moment. It works okay but I'm still searching for something more. Playing lighter is not an option, I like to really attack the lower notes to get a percussive bite.. Think Paul Gilbert type picking. It just doesn't come through as well as I'd like.
Note that Chris is talking about the Input Drive controls on the Amp block, not the Drive block. Maybe you realize that, but from your reply I wasn't sure.

I'm still interested in playing with this. I've changed to an XL from the ax8 so I'm regrouping but now have some dual amp options to play with as well.

Have you tried the x-over block? Send the higher pitches to the more distorted amp and lower signals to the cleaner amp. You'd have the option of choosing the crossover frequency and the slope of the roll-off at that frequency.

Back
Top Bottom