How to set WAH to BYPASS, when pedal is not connected

Icarusuki

This is probably obvious, but I cannot seem to find the setting that will automatically set the WAH block to BYPASS when there is no pedal connected to the FM9. I have somehow set this correctly on my Axe FX III, my Axe FX II, and my AX8, but not my FM9.

Does anyone out there know where to set this? I feel silly not having found it already.

Thanks!

I auto-enable with wah position, above 95% turns it off. This sets it to work like a standard wah but without a switch. Allows for cocked-wah, for example. Just checked, and it stays off when I unplug the EXP pedal.Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 9.48.27 AM.png

Look into mapping your exp pedals to “external controllers”. Then you can set an “initial value” per external controller which it will use when it’s not plugged in.
^ he’s right. It’s set to 100% by default, you need 0% for heel down (= off) pedals

Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible!), I would assume this should work?

External Control mapped to PEDAL 1
Initial Value set to 0%
WAH Block control set to External Control 1

1669663668747.png1669663709997.png1669663472898.png

As can be seen above, the initial value is still at 100%. Perhaps this is a bug?

Who/where would I report this?

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help. I'm still hoping I'm doing it wrong and I can get this setup. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks!

I have seen that happen too confusingly. It’s happened to me a few times and I haven’t been able to reproduce it. I only use external mapping so have seen it a few times. Try saving/ leaving the order and/or returning. You should be able to get it back.

Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible!), I would assume this should work?

External Control mapped to PEDAL 1
Initial Value set to 0%
WAH Block control set to External Control 1

View attachment 111798View attachment 111799View attachment 111797

As can be seen above, the initial value is still at 100%. Perhaps this is a bug?

Who/where would I report this?

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help. I'm still hoping I'm doing it wrong and I can get this setup. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks!
After setting Initial Value, turn off your FM9, and then turn it back on. Now it will read the initial value.

Thanks, this is super helpful to know! I did note that my Wah was already mapped to ext con #1, and it doesn't seem to matter if I set the initial value to 0% or 100% when it's unplugged - it is bypassed either way.

Seems like all 3 of my pedals default to the same value - toe down, regardless of whether they are plugged in or not, and regardless of how the initial value is set. This is true both with the control element set as PEDAL x, and also with the pedals mapped to external controllers and the controller set to that external controller.

Do you have PC Reset set to ON in the modifier?

Set it to ON, put your pedal heel down and then save the preset.

See if that helps.

After setting Initial Value, turn off your FM9, and then turn it back on. Now it will read the initial value.
Those pictures were after a fresh restart.

I have done all of the steps outlined thus far. PC Reset ON, saved heel down/WAH off, rebooted, etc.

The WAH block is set to ON, no matter what I do, when the pedal is unplugged.

This is probably obvious, but I cannot seem to find the setting that will automatically set the WAH block to BYPASS when there is no pedal connected to the FM9. I have somehow set this correctly on my Axe FX III, my Axe FX II, and my AX8, but not my FM9.

Does anyone out there know where to set this? I feel silly not having found it already.

Thanks!

Check out both Auto engage and PC Reset in the modifier screen. From the manual:
Auto-Engage works with Off Value to make the entire block turn ON or OFF automatically whenever the source controller is moved. This is typically used with a Wah pedal so you don’t need a toe switch. (Follow the example on p. 62 and set AUTO-ENGAGE to “SLOW POS” to try it out!) Find more about Auto-Engage on p. 66.

PC Reset sets the value for an external source when a preset first loads. This allows you to override the actual position of an external controller until it is moved or updated. To set the default value: after applying the modifier, exit to the Edit page. Notice that the value of that parameter can be edited as usual. If PC Reset is ON, the value you set and then save will be used from preset load until the source is changed (i.e. the pedal has been moved).

I think the combination of the two will do the trick. Set Auto-Engage to 0% and PC-Reset to On, and the initial value to 0.

The plot thickens. Through all of these suggestions, at some point it started sort of working. At power up, but first preset will have the wah block on (with no pedal connected), but if I change presets (up and back down to my initial preset), it will default to off.

It seems to be a fine work around, but I'm pretty sure it is a bug, as mentioned in that other thread..

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I've wondered this for years. Thanks for everyone's input! I'm guessing the initial value trick won't work if the cable is unplugged during a show. That happened to me a few times this summer due to a less-than-perfect pedalboard setup.

I've wondered this for years. Thanks for everyone's input! I'm guessing the initial value trick won't work if the cable is unplugged during a show. That happened to me a few times this summer due to a less-than-perfect pedalboard setup.

most likely the FM9 design ran out of DIO or AD inputs on the processor so they had to make tough decisions. don't think Cliff easily gave up in that feature.

Initial value is about boot up so won't help mid gig unless you restart.

Back
Top Bottom