How to set up patches for guitar cab + unpowered monitor

The title basically explains what I need.

I'm sorry if this is a very newbie question to ask but I usually only gig with my Orange 4x12 but we are playing a large venue and my drummer has requested a separate monitor close to his kit so he can hear me better.

I'm running my AFX through a two channel Mesa power amp and I need to run one channel without cab sims to my Orange cab and another with cab sims to the speaker for my drummer to monitor me with.

Thanks in advance dudes!

Download one of the preset a day...this month are all FOH and a cab. They do great sounding presets.

Download one of the preset a day...this month are all FOH and a cab. They do great sounding presets.

Sorry, but I already have my presets dialed in to our songs..

Are you suggesting that I download the presets for reference in terms of routing?

Furthermore, I will not need a FOH out as both of my outs will be powered by my power amp.

Output 1 from AxeFX to channel 1 of Mesa.

Output 2 from AxeFX to channel 2 of Mesa.

Output 2 Echo set to NONE.

Branch off your main signal chain onto a parallel chain. On the parallel chain, add a cab block, then the FXLoop block after the cab block. FXLoop will send the cab sim signal to Mesa Channel 2, to (hopefully full range) unpowered monitor.

Channel 1 of Mesa to your 4x12.

Output 1 from AxeFX to channel 1 of Mesa.

Output 2 from AxeFX to channel 2 of Mesa.

Output 2 Echo set to NONE.

Branch off your main signal chain onto a parallel chain. On the parallel chain, add a cab block, then the FXLoop block after the cab block. FXLoop will send the cab sim signal to Mesa Channel 2, to (hopefully full range) unpowered monitor.

Channel 1 of Mesa to your 4x12.

Just a couple questions for clarification;

1. Does it matter where I make this branch? My patches are typically: drive-->comp-->amp-->cab-->reverb
2. Where do I set this echo to none? (sorry if this is newbie of me to ask)

The monitor is just an old speaker I have laying around.. It's just meant for reference so the tone isn't a huge deal.

Thanks a lot for the info!!

Where you put the branch will depend on how much you want to send to the drummer's monitor. Anything before the branch will go both to your cab and the monitor. Anything after the branch will go exclusively to the drummer.

The Echo parameter is in the I/O menu on the front panel. Page to the Audio tab, scroll down to OUTPUT 2 ECHO.

edit: For clarification, anything after the branch on the parallel chain will go exclusively to Output 2 (the drummer); anything after the branch on your main chain will go exclusively to Output 1.

Edit 2: I'm assuming you're not running a cab sim through your 4x12.

Where you put the branch will depend on how much you want to send to the drummer's monitor. Anything before the branch will go both to your cab and the monitor. Anything after the branch will go exclusively to the drummer.

The Echo parameter is in the I/O menu on the front panel. Page to the Audio tab, scroll down to OUTPUT 2 ECHO.

edit: For clarification, anything after the branch on the parallel chain will go exclusively to Output 2 (the drummer); anything after the branch on your main chain will go exclusively to Output 1.

Edit 2: I'm assuming you're not running a cab sim through your 4x12.

So if I just put the branch at the very end of the chain and put the FXLoop block, do I even need to insert another cab block.. Or is my logic backwards..?

Sorry, I'm kinda confused by what you mean by "after the branch on parallel" and "after the branch on my main chain"

From your explanation, If I insert the branch at the end of my chain, I'll have the exact same sounds coming from both my cab and monitor..with the addition of a cab block to the branched chain that is..

Last edited:
Yes. The branched chain has the cab block. That's the only difference.

There shouldn't be a cab block in your main chain because you're using a real 4x12.

Yes. The branched chain has the cab block. That's the only difference.

There shouldn't be a cab block in your main chain because you're using a real 4x12.

I still have cab blocks on my main chain because for home practice I use my monitors, so I just have to disable them from my main chain..

So that means that I'll still have cab modeling active on the global settings, correct?

I still have cab blocks on my main chain because for home practice I use my monitors, so I just have to disable them from my main chain..
Yup. Just bypass the cab block in the main chain when using your 4x12. Alternately, just for live use, you could make a duplicate of that preset, and just remove the cab block from the main chain.

So that means that I'll still have cab modeling active on the global settings, correct?
Yup. ;)

Make sure that the cab block Bypass setting is set to 'thru' not 'mute' otherwise it, er, mutes the signal!! (bottom right in cab block).

Thanks me later!

Back
Top Bottom