How To Set Up EQs For Certain Guitars?

I don't have an FC controller, but could you set a switch to change the input impedance on the front input?

I would like to set up a global EQ that is activated by a footswitch...
It would be really awesome to have a global guitar input preset function to call up with input level (noise floor), gain/vol, gate and eq.

I have a bunch of polar opposite guitars so I set up entire presets per guitar, such as a Suhr with fishman fluence pickups, an Anderson tele with mojo quiet coils (bright as hell), Ibanez with Bareknuckles for soloing and so on.

As it is now, if I use the opposite personality guitar on a preset, I build a new scene with all the things I need (usually to tame my teles or lower gain for humbuckers) on separate channels for input, gate, eq, etc. Meaning I'm playing in AxeEdit and not my instrument.

Set up input once per guitar, recall, done.

It would be really awesome to have a global guitar input preset function to call up with input level (noise floor), gain/vol, gate and eq.

I have a bunch of polar opposite guitars so I set up entire presets per guitar, such as a Suhr with fishman fluence pickups, an Anderson tele with mojo quiet coils (bright as hell), Ibanez with Bareknuckles for soloing and so on.

As it is now, if I use the opposite personality guitar on a preset, I build a new scene with all the things I need (usually to tame my teles or lower gain for humbuckers) on separate channels for input, gate, eq, etc. Meaning I'm playing in AxeEdit and not my instrument.

Set up input once per guitar, recall, done.

I’m confused. Why purchase guitars that sound different if your goal is for them to all sound the same? Ironically, this was the main complaint about the original modelers such as the Rocktron Chameleon, no matter what you plugged into them, the end result tone was always the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
A paula still remains a paula when you crank the highs and a strat remains a strat when you tame them. Some general tayloring of gain, highs and lows will not change the voice of a guitar. Like you can't change a female voice to a male voice only by cranking some lows.

@luke It's more of a testament to AxeFx's clarity that each guitar fully shines through, sometimes with less than ideal outcomes, hence the use of input filtering, etc.
If you make a preset using a guitar with EMGs, it's going to need something to use with a tele with broadcaster pickups.

I’m confused. Why purchase guitars that sound different if your goal is for them to all sound the same? Ironically, this was the main complaint about the original modelers such as the Rocktron Chameleon, no matter what you plugged into them, the end result tone was always the same.

Adjusting frequencies will not make a strat sound like a les paul.

By ear.
And don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm sitting and go "Ahh I need 2543.2Hz more in my guitar thank you"
It's more like me experimenting with the frequencies, making tons of mistakes and horrid choices and also which is my favorite method "I need that Ahh/Eeee/Oowr/Grht/Hiiisssasasas" and than using the solo method to search that frequency that does exactly it and than boosting or attenuating it.

It sort of like butchering a Ribeye, Remove tha access cap, clean from unnecessary fat and dirt, cut to slice and grill to medium rare.

Here's a scenario: I'm playing an Explorer, second song of the set in front of 750 people, and a string breaks. I have to switch to a Les Paul custom. Still two humbuckers, I know. But different. It also happens to be tuned a half-step down.
I play a preset per song, so I've got about 22-23 songs still to go, about 4-5 of which use the Explorer and 6-7 use the Les Paul.
Wouldn't it be nice if:
1) I had set up a global EQ block the could adjust the eq/input gain of all the presets at once with the push of a button or two, then back.
2) I had set up a global Virtual Capo block that adjusts everything up a half step, until I get to the songs I normally use the Les Paul or my Strat.
There are very good reasons to be able to have one guitar match another in a live situation. I carry three, maybe four guitars to a show. But I can't afford two of everything.
Altering the inherent tone of a guitar to match another isn't what any of us want, ideally, but it IS a real world application.

Here's a scenario: I'm playing an Explorer, second song of the set in front of 750 people, and a string breaks. I have to switch to a Les Paul custom. Still two humbuckers, I know. But different. It also happens to be tuned a half-step down.
I play a preset per song, so I've got about 22-23 songs still to go, about 4-5 of which use the Explorer and 6-7 use the Les Paul.
Wouldn't it be nice if:
1) I had set up a global EQ block the could adjust the eq/input gain of all the presets at once with the push of a button or two, then back.
2) I had set up a global Virtual Capo block that adjusts everything up a half step, until I get to the songs I normally use the Les Paul or my Strat.
There are very good reasons to be able to have one guitar match another in a live situation. I carry three, maybe four guitars to a show. But I can't afford two of everything.
Altering the inherent tone of a guitar to match another isn't what any of us want, ideally, but it IS a real world application.

That is my situation as well, but we have longer set lists. I do not need them to sound the same, but if I need to swap guitars, I want it to work with my presets that were configured with a different guitar.

Wouldn't it be nice if:

I haven’t broken a string in twenty years, to me this so far out the ledge I don’t see it being an issue for the vast majority of users.

More practical, you duplicate the presets one hundred higher and use the tuner hold to hop the hundred in one shot. Then you use another button’s hold to drop a hundred back down.

Let’s say the song is preset 23, now if you are using guitar X, you actually want preset 123.

I haven’t broken a string in twenty years, to me this so far out the ledge I don’t see it being an issue for the vast majority of users.

More practical, you duplicate the presets one hundred higher and use the tuner hold to hop the hundred in one shot. Then you use another button’s hold to drop a hundred back down.
Well, that's the beauty of the Fractal universe. Everyone has different needs.
I only want to use 6-8 amps on the machine, so I don't have any use for new amps. Another guy might need advanced looper functions that you or I don't use.
People break strings all the time. It doesn't happen that often to me, but saying it doesn't happen to you really isn't particularly relevant.
As far as your solution, unfortunately, it won't work for me. I trigger my scene changes through Logic Pro. Skipping up 100 presets makes that important function useless. Thank you, though.

Last edited:

Let’s say the song is preset 23, now if you are using guitar X, you actually want preset 123.

Duplicating the set list will not work. The EQ and level will need to be adjusted.

For our gigs, I organize my presets in order of the show's set list. We do not play the same set list at every show.

The most practical solutions is a Global EQ Block assigned to a Control Switch on the FC6 or FC12.

So you've got one guitar that is always too bright and you're wanting to correct this with a global eq. I'm thinking if the guitar is always too bright, it's the guitar...fix the guitar and bleed some of the highs off with a cap. It'll still sound like itself, just less harsh.

So you've got one guitar that is always too bright and you're wanting to correct this with a global eq. I'm thinking if the guitar is always too bright, it's the guitar...fix the guitar and bleed some of the highs off with a cap. It'll still sound like itself, just less harsh.

The other guitar, Les Paul, sounds fine through my tube amp, Friedman Small Box

My main guitar is my cover band is Tom Anderson Drop Top with a HSS configuration. It is my most versatile guitar. I prefer not to modify my TA.

The other guitar, Les Paul, sounds fine through my tube amp, Friedman Small Box

My main guitar is my cover band is Tom Anderson Drop Top with a HSS configuration. It is my most versatile guitar. I prefer not to modify my TA.

Turning the tone to 8 isn’t good enough?

Back
Top Bottom