How To Set Up EQs For Certain Guitars?

4406cuda

Inspired
I have one guitar that is much brighter than my other guitars and would like to just activate an eq to make it work with my existing patches.

I would like to set up a global EQ that is activated by a footswitch on my FC6. Once activated, I want it to stay active for all my presets until I turn it off. I would also like to see on my FC6 whether the eq is active or bypassed.

Is it possible and how do I set that up?

Thanks!

You're talking about a global input EQ? That'd be awesome. This would be a great wish for the wishlist. I've just been using a parametric eq block at the beginning of the chain in my patches to do the same thing (to compensate between humbucker and single-coil guitars). I'm sure that would be a bit of an annoyance if all of your patches have no space at the beginning of the chain.

I just use an old Joyo EQ that I had lying around. Guitar into that and then EQ into the Fractal. I turn it on to boost the highs a bit and take out some lows when I use a humbucker.

Could you add a graphic block at the beginning of the signal chain and have it generally off per preset, and then have latching control switch to keep it on in all scenes?

An obvious other choice is to just create copied presets starting at 101 with the EQ baked in.

1-100 for hb, 101+ for sc.

23 and 123 would be the same except that EQ being on.

You're talking about a global input EQ? That'd be awesome. This would be a great wish for the wishlist. I've just been using a parametric eq block at the beginning of the chain in my patches to do the same thing (to compensate between humbucker and single-coil guitars). I'm sure that would be a bit of an annoyance if all of your patches have no space at the beginning of the chain.

That would work, but I would need to add for every preset and assign a footswitch for every preset.

Thank you

Excuse my ignorance, but why?
Isn't the point of having multiple guitars, to have multiple voices? If you make one guitar sound like the other, what's the point in having both? I'd say use the guitars for what they are good for.
I have 2 scenes for my basic amps one for my Tele and one for my SG. Both use the same amp just different Gain and BMT settings and possibly a different mic of the same speaker IR.

Could you add a graphic block at the beginning of the signal chain and have it generally off per preset, and then have latching control switch to keep it on in all scenes?

An obvious other choice is to just create copied presets starting at 101 with the EQ baked in.

That would work, but I would need to add for every preset and assign a footswitch for every preset.

Thank you

1-100 for hb, 101+ for sc.

23 and 123 would be the same except that EQ being on.

That would work when the set list was defined, so I would be jumping around presets.

Excuse my ignorance, but why?
Isn't the point of having multiple guitars, to have multiple voices? If you make one guitar sound like the other, what's the point in having both? I'd say use the guitars for what they are good for.
I have 2 scenes for my basic amps one for my Tele and one for my SG. Both use the same amp just different Gain and BMT settings and possibly a different mic of the same speaker IR.

I play in a cover and tribute band. I use a different preset for every song. I am not trying to make my single coil guitar sound like a humbucker or make my Tom Anderson sound like my Les Paul. I would like to set up a global EQ to tame some of the high end when needed.

You could use an external switch tied to the block and then not have program a CS for every preset I believe. You still need to add it per preset but you’d do that via block library to speed it up.

What I would do:
Put an EQ block right after the input block. Assign a modifier with an ecternal controller to the bypass parameter, like external #16. Link the block as a global block.
Now copy that block with it's modifier into all of your presets, copying is the fastest way.
External controls have a start up value when no pedal is connected and that start value takes effect at once whenever you edit it. When you turn the value for external control #16 higher then 64 your EQs turn on.
When you want to change something and save it, it gets changed in all of your presets because it's a globally assigned block.

You could use an external switch tied to the block and then not have program a CS for every preset I believe. You still need to add it per preset but you’d do that via block library to speed it up.

Sounds good, but I would like to use the top right switch on my FC6.

What I would do:
Put an EQ block right after the input block. Assign a modifier with an ecternal controller to the bypass parameter, like external #16. Link the block as a global block.
Now copy that block with it's modifier into all of your presets, copying is the fastest way.
External controls have a start up value when no pedal is connected and that start value takes effect at once whenever you edit it. When you turn the value for external control #16 higher then 64 your EQs turn on.
When you want to change something and save it, it gets changed in all of your presets because it's a globally assigned block.

That sounds great, I will use the global block feature. I would like to dedicate one of my switches on the FC6 to turn the block on and off.

Thanks

I play in a cover and tribute band. I use a different preset for every song. I am not trying to make my single coil guitar sound like a humbucker or make my Tom Anderson sound like my Les Paul. I would like to set up a global EQ to tame some of the high end when needed.

Ok, I always hate when someone ignores the point of my question and gives me an alternative. But I'm gonna be that guy, just this once, I promise... Why not just roll off the tone knob a bit on the shrilly guitar then?

Ok, I always hate when someone ignores the point of my question and gives me an alternative. But I'm gonna be that guy, just this once, I promise... Why not just roll off the tone knob a bit on the shrilly guitar then?

Using a parametric EQ or a Graphic EQ will be more effective and also provide a volume control on the block, if needed.

You don't even need a switch... Assign the Bypass to an unused External Controller.

Use the Global menu to change the Init Value for that controller from 0-100% or vice versa to enable or bypass.
How do I control values of the external controller? Do I need to connect an expression pedal?

You can connect a pedal or footswitch. But you don't need to. When you change the guitar from song to song a switch is better. When you change it not that often and you have enough time to dive into a submenu, you don't need a switch.

How do I control values of the external controller? Do I need to connect an expression pedal?

An external controller lets you manipulate effect parameters with a pedal, switch, dial, etc.

Examples: Wah pedal, Whammy pedal, changing the rate of an effect with a rotary dial, engaging the Hold function of a Reverb with an external switch.

The Axe-Fx III and FM3 provide 16 external controllers.

It seems the external controller needs to be connected to something that will change the value.

You can connect a pedal or footswitch. But you don't need to. When you change the guitar from song to song a switch is better. When you change it not that often and you have enough time to dive into a submenu, you don't need a switch.

Thank you

You can edit the start value of external controllers, so you can use them without any footswitch.
That's important, so you can leave your footboard in the rehearse room and still use your presets at home.

Back
Top Bottom