How to set Looper to play loop dry, then solo wet?

Krakadon

Inspired
I recently got a foot controller and started messing around with the looper. I tried to set my loop on a dry scene for a rhythm, then switch to a wet scene to solo, but the loop also switches to the wet scene and gets all smeared. How can I keep my loop dry then switch to heavy fx for soloing or doing crazy swells and so forth? Thanks.

Place the looper late in the fx chain? Then toggle scenes perhaps? (Not a looper user yet ... waiting on FCx)

Have you looked at the manual?

I recently got a foot controller and started messing around with the looper. I tried to set my loop on a dry scene for a rhythm, then switch to a wet scene to solo, but the loop also switches to the wet scene and gets all smeared. How can I keep my loop dry then switch to heavy fx for soloing or doing crazy swells and so forth? Thanks.
the looper records the blocks before it (to the left) and it plays through the blocks after it (to the right).

if the looper is before your amp block, then it will play into the amp block. that's why it changes tones when you change tones.

move the looper to the end.

I have had luck putting the looper in the row below my main blocks into the amp/cabinet and the tying it back into the main row after the effects. It takes more CPU to run an amp/cab for each row but keeps things clean IMO.

I have had luck putting the looper in the row below my main blocks into the amp/cabinet and the tying it back into the main row after the effects. It takes more CPU to run an amp/cab for each row but keeps things clean IMO.
just put it in the same row after the amp block. should accomplish the exact same thing. the looper just records whatever is before it and plays into what's after it, as if you were playing. no need to double up on blocks.

Chris - if you have time, you put a same patch on the exchange or post the signal chaiin or is it simply put the looper as the last block, play a diff, then switch scenes or presets to play over the riff?

I've never used a looper but will start RTFM.

Place the looper at the beginning and create a scenes bypassing the effects that you don't want.
That’s kind of the opposite of what he’s trying to do. He wants to loop a certain sound, then play another sound over the top of that. To do that, the Looper has to be after the amp, the Cab, and any effects that will be toggled on or off.

I have a looper in every patch prior to the output. That way when I change patches while I am looping, the looper still plays. I can navigate away from the looper controls and change patches for lead over a nice soft loop rhythm. You can also change scenes to give you whichever lead you have an any scene you have saved.

Thanks all for your inputs. Like most things with the Axe-FX, I think there is more than one way to skin a cat ("WTF did you just say?!?!?", said the cat). The statement "the looper just records whatever is before it and plays into what's after it" is the key.

I ended up putting it at the end. Attached is a complicated preset that started with Scene 1 as a clean tone. (C-7 is my Schecter C-7 multi-scale elite, G2 Mono means it is dialed in to play through my Mission Engineering Gemini 2 set to mono) Expression 1 is a tone control to increase the high end and presence, and Expression 2 increases the amount of wet signal. Then I created Scene 2 as a dry scene to capture the dry clean rhythm with the looper. Then I switched back to Scene 1 to solo. Then I created Scene 3 which is an even wetter version of Scene 1 (for soloing). Then I added Scene 4 to switch to a high gain tone (for soloing). In this Scene and Scene 6, Expression 1 is disabled. Then I added Scene 5 which added a wah to Scene 4 controlled with Expression 1. Then I added Scenes 6 and 7 which are even wetter versions of Scene 4 and 5 respectively.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6818

Attachments

• C-7 Clean G2 Mono 20190223.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom