How to replicate a Dookie/Golub modded Marshall? (ie Green Day)

asclafani

Trying to make a Green Day preset.
Billie uses 2 100w Plexis, so I'm using the PLEXI 100W 70 since that should be the same amp. His amps are both modded- the top one is the famous Dookie/Martin Golub mod, which "cascades the front end and adds a master volume". What does cascading mean, is it the same thing as jumpering inputs? There's no specifics of what the Dookie mod actually is or how to do it, so all I know is it basically changed the amp circuit to a JCM800 by adding gain and modding the tone stack. The bottom amp has an SE lead mod, which adds a tube for more gain.

So if I'm using a PLEXI 100W 70 as my amp in AFx, how can I replicate the mods? Do I just increase the input trim to add more gain than the amp would normally have? Do I turn the saturation switch on? In the actual amp circuit, how does a JCM800 differ from a 70s Super Lead reissue?

Hehe.

I give you a clue.
A wrist. 😅

I love finding tone from records since forever, sometimes don’t spend that much time trying to duplicate the exact same gear he had. Because you don’t have his cab capture, micing method Ir or whatever. In studio the tracks are overdubbed, doubled , quadrupled … use your ears !
playing the song well, in whatever tone quest is more than important. The gear will never replace the playing. The settings are the final thing

Last edited:
Trying to make a Green Day preset.
Billie uses 2 100w Plexis, so I'm using the PLEXI 100W 70 since that should be the same amp. His amps are both modded- the top one is the famous Dookie/Martin Golub mod, which "cascades the front end and adds a master volume". What does cascading mean, is it the same thing as jumpering inputs? There's no specifics of what the Dookie mod actually is or how to do it, so all I know is it basically changed the amp circuit to a JCM800 by adding gain and modding the tone stack. The bottom amp has an SE lead mod, which adds a tube for more gain.

So if I'm using a PLEXI 100W 70 as my amp in AFx, how can I replicate the mods? Do I just increase the input trim to add more gain than the amp would normally have? Do I turn the saturation switch on? In the actual amp circuit, how does a JCM800 differ from a 70s Super Lead reissue?

Cascading means that another triode is added to the preamp chain. Either by actually adding a tube or rearranging the triodes already installed. If the amp has a normal and bright channel the chances are good that the input triode of the normal channel was used to add a stage to the bright channel. Jumpering means the guitar is input to both channels, not a cascading thing. The JCM800 came from cascading the original plexis more or less and it sounds like his amp is close to that. There are so many variables available to us that you should be able to get close. The saturation I believe is diode clipping added to the tube preamp. Try it out and see how it sounds. From what you said it doesn’t sound like the mod is diode clipping though. Amp boost is also good. The tone stack can be changed and its frequency can be adjusted. You can also adjust the preamp bias. Just run a loop and play with settings and use your ears. Best luck man.

As I understand it, one of the heads has more gain, one less gain and more clarity / definition. Then they are blended together. Try a dual amp setup with a JCM 800 ish setting and a plexi that isn’t as gained up, then blend. He uses a lot less gain than you’d expect, and plays with an aggressive pick hand. Recordings have multiple layered guitar tracks.

Back in the day when they played in my friend’s garage, he ran one gallien krueger head…

As I understand it, one of the heads has more gain, one less gain and more clarity / definition. Then they are blended together. Try a dual amp setup with a JCM 800 ish setting and a plexi that isn’t as gained up, then blend. He uses a lot less gain than you’d expect, and plays with an aggressive pick hand. Recordings have multiple layered guitar tracks.

Back in the day when they played in my friend’s garage, he ran one gallien krueger head…
I was on his street a few years back, allegedly the most expensive "development" in california.

If you're a bit creative with how you dial it in and the exact choice of model (depending on which era Green Day we're talking about) - a Recto Vintage will actually come extremely close to the desired tone. You can also try one of the Friedmans for the more crunchy Marshally sounding songs but I usually find they're a little too thick sounding.

try a plexi 100w not the 70s one and use the saturation switch and turn it up
as others said also try a jcm800

I've heard a rumour he recorded everything with a junior (P90) even back then. That would have an effect as well if it's true. If it isn't, someone please let me know haha.

I made some dookie tones, using his amp (1959SLP) settings, but since they're modded you might need to use boosts and tweak the gain staging/structure on the amps, and some vintage 1960B 30IRs or greenbacks if you need more high/cut. But yeah, multi-tracking is a big secret to "album tones" and the mixture of guitar and bass does a lot more for sound Than you'd think, google blue album (weezer) guitars solo'd and you'd be surprised what they sound like vs what you hear. Really pay attention to his muting because that's the sound you're after and too much gain will kill that.

He is said to have used either p90s or a Duncan JB SH-4 pickups (in either a lpjr or that Fernandez strat he had) depending on what source you read.

More specific about the cab and the mics: "Billie Joe used his iconic Mexican Fernandez Strat (tuned down a half-step, of course) to play the rhythm parts from the control room. There was a Marshall cabinet set up in the live room, with a Shure SM57 and a Sennheiser 421 a few inches from the cones, and a Neumann U87 about 15 feet back." source.

There's also a Helix setting that is one of the modded JCM800s that sounds dead on greenday tone. My friend showed it to me once, so you may want to play with those amps at the same settings above with the same type of cab... I have had decent results that way as well?

See Also:

https://nomashop.bigcartel.com/product/n-k-p-artist-pack-vol-5-for-axe-fx-3

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom