How to reduce pick attack?

Hi sauro_on_guitar, double checked my suggestion ... no improvement. Sorry for the irritation. Only wanted to help :coldsweat:

Hi unix-guy, looking at the complete ADSR, you are right! I only wanted to set focus on attack ... sorry. My wrong suggestion - reg. Input Level - I already excused.

Turn down the various Bias Excursion parameters.
Bias excursion parameters shmias excursion parameters.
in my opinion this is the biggest weakness in the unit the pick attack is very harsh
with 46 years as a studio and touring musician, producer, engineer and 7 years mastering house duties I believe the harsh
attack is a reasonable issue to examine it is apparent on every preset out of the box
even the fuzz selections suffer due to this issue
looking for analog tubey sounds while replicating some well know solos shouldn’t be this difficult
for example I defy anyone to produce an authentic Blues Sareceno solo tone like you would find on Hairpick for example
also I see a decent homage the Pink Floyd in the pres but sometimes the notes you hear on record bleed off or breath out of the instrument instead of a pop and a click
nocking back the guitar tone knob helps but no quite there and it changes the sound to drastically.
‘most pres both clean and hot sound very good with the factory attack but when you want it to cry you want to control that level of pick sound with your hands and plectrum and I’m not finding that with my axe fx 3 mkii, maybe this is why Cooper Carter is searching for “the elusive edge of breakup tone” on his master class because it’s not so hard to find on most of my combos and I gots me lots of combos
being completely digital and this advanced I honestly thought I would find global adsr controls

Steve Lukather's tone from the late 90s featured a very prominent pick attack and pick scrape in it. This is achieved by a big midrange boost before distortion. So it stands to reason that reducing midrange content before distortion should reduce pick attack and scrape.

I’m doing a cover of an A7X solo (buried alive), and trying to even remotely sound like Gates’ studio recording during the tremolo picking part is proving to be quite difficult.

Everything I have tried thus far hasn’t really given me the result I am looking for…even using a compressor plug-in on the DI before sending it to the AXE3 doesn’t do much…compressor before amp block, compressor after amp block — not doing much either…there’s always that annoying picking sound frequencies coming through, instead of it being nice and choppy (without the annoying pick sounds).

I’ve tried different picks, changing the angle, etc…but the one thing I did not try is the suggestion I just read above about turning the volume knob on the guitar down a little.

Fingers crossed, that this will hopefully have some good results.

Last edited:
in my opinion this is the biggest weakness in the unit the pick attack is very harsh
with 46 years as a studio and touring musician, producer, engineer and 7 years mastering house duties I believe the harsh
attack is a reasonable issue to examine it is apparent on every preset out of the box
even the fuzz selections suffer due to this issue
looking for analog tubey sounds while replicating some well know solos shouldn’t be this difficult
for example I defy anyone to produce an authentic Blues Sareceno solo tone like you would find on Hairpick for example
also I see a decent homage the Pink Floyd in the pres but sometimes the notes you hear on record bleed off or breath out of the instrument instead of a pop and a click
nocking back the guitar tone knob helps but no quite there and it changes the sound to drastically.
‘most pres both clean and hot sound very good with the factory attack but when you want it to cry you want to control that level of pick sound with your hands and plectrum and I’m not finding that with my axe fx 3 mkii, maybe this is why Cooper Carter is searching for “the elusive edge of breakup tone” on his master class because it’s not so hard to find on most of my combos and I gots me lots of combos
being completely digital and this advanced I honestly thought I would find global adsr controls
I would have to agree with a lot of what you are saying. I would like to have the option to have n ADSR type control available to do the last of the tweaks necessary. My Axe II was really harsh in the pick attack and that’s why I stopped using it. Cygnus is much better IMO but it would be nice to have just that little bit more control over the attack.

Maybe someone could gift/loan Fractal the whole Mojave amp line and all the Dirty boy pedals so cliff could work on achieving the perfect playing with balogna no pick attach sound.

Try this:

1) Use the looper to record a short clip of your playing.

2) Use a PEQ to Sweep through the frequencies. +10 dB high q until you find the offensive frequency.

3) Cut offensive frequency.

Alternatively, you may have success just by turning the tone knob on your guitar down. Hope this helps!
Well finally a useful reply, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom