How to reduce pick attack noise in 5.0?

I'm not complaining about pick noise, I use the economy Holdsworth style (or try to)
But every nuance is clearly there and naked lately, from string noise to any extraneous hand noise.
It's a good thing!!
It builds character and individuality

Last edited:
Pick attack is really important. You should be happy it's there. Play with some backing tracks and give some time your ears to adjust.

Ok, most of these responses are useless.

I've been playing for 25 years and studied with a professor from NE Conservatory for four. I have an very light picking attack.

My point is simple, prior to 5.0 the sound had less pick attack and now it has more and I'd like to reduce it.

To those that made real suggestions, thank you I will try them out later tonight.

Since usung a Red Bear pick I don't notice it any more.

I picked up a few at different thickness. ie extra heavy, heavy, and medium and definetly noticed (lack of noise) a big difference over the Fender mediums I had been using. But I am a hack and need any help I can get however subtle.

Me too, most every morning.

vinmzp.gif

I started using the Dunlap Jazz style picks (black ones) they're smaller, thicker, and more rounded and I've really been liking the difference in tone... it's definitely a darker tone, but much more round and smooth.... they make them in like 4 or 5 thicknesses, so pick up a pack of each and try 'em out...

I'm not really sure why 5.0 has made this more of an issue... but if you can't EQ/filter it out then try experimenting with some different picks... it's not a very expensive investment and you might be surprised...

My point is simple, prior to 5.0 the sound had less pick attack and now it has more and I'd like to reduce it.

To those that made real suggestions, thank you I will try them out later tonight.

I had a really nice ringmod fuzz plus something I forgot patch, but every once in a while there was a nasty spike in the attack that ruined the sound.
I set up a compressor and was able to dial out the offending spike with the lookahead parameter.

Last edited:
have you tried turning up the Xfrmr match and lowering dynamics. sag also may help.

what you want is more compression from the amp so it squeezes the pick attack.

Last edited:
have you tried turning up the Xfrmr match and lowering dynamics. sag also may help.

what you want is more compression from the amp so it squeezes the pick attack.

DO THIS!!... what Java said. Experiment to taste. Also try the "damping" in the adv. par.

I agree, for (shred) solos i'll max. xformer match and set dynamics near zero and it gets rid of much of the attack.

I observed that the pickattack depends also on the guitar you use. With one of my guitars there is nearly no pick attack noise, with the other one the noise is extreme and it often sounds like a shrill pinch harmonic which hurts in the ears. Maybe its the pick ups, idk....

Try a different balance between preamp overdrive (less dynamics) and poweramp overdrive (more dynamics). Or use an overdrive block for pick attack compression (as opposed to a compressor stomp which can exaggerate pick attack due to its attack time).

Back
Top Bottom