How to record guitar with backing track at the same time?

oldstar1975

Inspired
Hi everyone!
I'm jamming with youtube backing tracks, is it possible to record the whole session - guitar AND backing track? Right now I have only guitar recorded. Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you're talking about - but - I'll try and help. I have my computer going into the Axe Fx via USB and use Out 4 to record. If I link the USB to Out 1, I can record the YouTube audio into Logic on a track, and then jam along to it on a second separate track. For example (from Axe Edit III)
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.05.30 PM.png

After I have the audio track from YouTube in Logic I remove the cable between In USB and Out 1.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about - but - I'll try and help. I have my computer going into the Axe Fx via USB and use Out 4 to record. If I link the USB to Out 1, I can record the YouTube audio into Logic on a track, and then jam along to it on a second separate track. For example (from Axe Edit III)
View attachment 65869

After I have the audio track from YouTube in Logic I remove the cable between In USB and Out 1.
Just tried, but I can't put the youtube sound to the Logic, USB input block does nothing, no any sound from it. Its strange, cause I can hear the youtube sound via Axe, and it going to output 1.

I re-read your initial post about what you want to do - a little later today I should be able to do this and could give you a clearer idea of what worked.

Just tried, but I can't put the youtube sound to the Logic, USB input block does nothing, no any sound from it. Its strange, cause I can hear the youtube sound via Axe, and it going to output 1.

A quicker way is to use https://ymp4.download/ or another site for a YouTube downloader as an MP3 form, then load the MP3 into your DAW as you record.

Yes? That's at least how I lay down tracks remotely right now on a few collabs with some local musicians.

But such powerful tool as Axe III definitely must do it much easier, as I think

Potentially. By the USB Input block was mainly designed for Reamping & more general use USB/MIDI type interfaces. Check the wiki:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB

MP3 download and import to DAW seems the path of least resistance. Perfect opportunity for you to design the method for this though and create a tutorial! In the meantime, YT downloader is a real blast ;)

yes, you right. But for example - making a stream or video using QuickTime Player, it can use the Axe sound. But only a guitar, not drums for example.
I use garageband.. Guitar out goes into a mixer then into mac, import backing into garageband and create and mix both/all tracks.

Record video (live or not) then mix/sync video and track in iMovie. Saves/exports to quicktime player....

New to this so ill have a look at YT downloader also..

yes, that's the way... But such powerful tool as Axe III definitely must do it much easier, as I think
The Axe is powerful but wasn’t designed to route audio out of your computer then back into it at the same time. That’s a very unique situation. It’s like saying a corvette is powerful and should be able to cook a burger too. It’s just not the goal of the gear.

You need something like Audio Hijack:https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

Or just take the headphone out of the computer into an Axe Input and send that to your DAW as well.

I agree it’s better to download the track and put it in the DAW.

Last edited:
I've been struggling to do this for a while with my Mac. I tried audiohijack and it started to get flaky for me for some reason. I found a free version of its predecessor which worked great for a time, but now I can't seem to get it to work again I got so frustrated I more or less gave up.

So I'm really interested to hear I could just take the headphone out from the computer and put it into the Axe. Which input would I use for that? Do I need to route it through a basically empty signal path in Axe edit?

I have had luck using this. But I think it may only work on Windows:
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

@Renderman
It could be any of the Axe-Fx inputs. For example, I have a 1/4 stereo Y cable. On one end, I plug the L/R into the Axe-Fx IN2 L/R. The other end I have a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and I will plug that into my iPhone/iPad or in your case, the computer headphone jack.

On the Axe-Edit grid. You would add an IN2 block and that would have the stereo audio coming from your phone/computer/etc... You can then route it back out to OUT1/2/3/4 just by connecting IN2 to OUT1/2/3/4. The DAW should be able to record this signal also if I'm not mistaken. This is a good setup to have at hand as if you are without a computer, you can get backing tracks/practice tracks etc... into the Axe-Fx easily and mix it with your guitar signal for practicing, or live tracks if needed. No mixer required.

Here is a cable that would work. I have the same one but instead of 1/8 it has 1/4 and I use a converter.
Amazon product ASIN B005HGM1D6

Back
Top Bottom