"How to" preset building question

Billbill

Power User
Hi all. Been awhile lol.
Dusted off my guitar and axefx last night and started picking up where I left off building some patches.
I have a high gain metal preset I'm working on that needs a little reverb on just the low end when palm muting, but retain clear and concise unaffected sound in the fretted notes between muting. Now, I've gotten it close by sticking the reverb block in parallel and adjusting accordingly but when tinkering around in that block I noticed the EQ section in the reverb block has some frequency adjustments/graph. I adjusted the EQ to get what I wanted on the low end palm muting section and it seemed to work a bit I just think it could sound better if I understood the reverb block a little better.
Do these EQ's in the reverb block mean that, for example, if I use a peak EQ in the low end does that mean that that is the area of signal that will be affected by the reverb? If not then how would I go about accomplishing that? An effect that only affects a certain freq range. Thanks

If you want to selectively apply reverb to only part of the original audio frequency spectrum, you should put a filter block in front of the reverb block.

If you want to selectively apply reverb to only part of the original audio frequency spectrum, you should put a filter block in front of the reverb block.
Ok I'll try that. Any recommendation on how to set that filter block so that way only the low end is affected by the reverb block? I think it would be cool to hear some examples of this concept

I'm surprised you want to add reverb to the low end. I find that makes it a bit flubby. I always low cut the reverb in my daw to just give some air to the higher frequencies. Interested in your reasoning.

I'm surprised you want to add reverb to the low end. I find that makes it a bit flubby. I always low cut the reverb in my daw to just give some air to the higher frequencies. Interested in your reasoning.
Yes I agree 110% if used wrecklessly, my own description of my axefx-self lol, any time based effects will make or break a patch, rendering it utterly useless.
My reasoning is really just about the amount of control we have in the axefx and the editor. The ultimate goal is studio quality guitar tone and the typical post-processing already done in the machine. Especially on the low end because most of that is usually post-processing, a workaround to avoid that flubbieness, and clashing of other instruments and their frequencies. Works very well in the right application with very little "tweaking" needed when applied to another.

Back
Top Bottom