How to pan amps hard left and right ?

Hey guys,

i'm having a hard time figuring out how to pan my stereo amp setup (one cab) hard left and right. When i adjust the balance knob, the amp just becomes noticeably quiter.

What am I doing wrong ?

yes, use a stereo cab block and make sure you pan each cab hard left and right and that input select is set to stereo. you can load the same cab IR into both slots. alternatively, give each amp it's own cab block and pan the cabs hard left and right (not the amps)

Hey guys,

i'm having a hard time figuring out how to pan my stereo amp setup (one cab) hard left and right. When i adjust the balance knob, the amp just becomes noticeably quiter.

What am I doing wrong ?

Imagine this in real life. If you would input two amps into a single (most likely mono) cab, you wouldn't feel the stereo image, you'd hear a volume difference only.

I've had the best luck splitting the signal of a single amp to two different Hi or Ultra Res cabs, then panning the cabs hard left and right using the "balance" on each.

You'll get an even bigger sound, though, if you use two different, but similarly voiced amps through two different cabs and then pan them hard left and right.

Imagine this in real life. If you would input two amps into a single (most likely mono) cab, you wouldn't feel the stereo image, you'd hear a volume difference only.
This hits the nail squarely on the head

This is the way to use and visualize your AXE-FX always. So many see it as a box with secret codes and thousands of things to know and learn. Always try to "Imagine this in real life" try to visualize what you would do with real equipment. Only look at one block at a time, the way you would if you were hands on. It is just a series of simple blocks. Don't worry about the deeper setting. Only look at what you are familiar with. Treat it like real world components one at a time and you will see it in a new, simpler light.

stereo cab works ! thanks guys.

My line of thought was that if something like a ping pong delay didn't need a stereo cab, perhaps I could pan the dual amp setup stereo too without a stereo cab. my bad !

stereo cab works ! thanks guys.

My line of thought was that if something like a ping pong delay didn't need a stereo cab, perhaps I could pan the dual amp setup stereo too without a stereo cab. my bad !

There is no "My bad" in experimenting and asking for help. The most fun you can have with this new box is to try, fail, try, fail again, try again and totally succeed. That's how it works sometimes. Other times you can find a killer sound pretty much by accident. Uses you ears more than your eyes and just have fun.

This hits the nail squarely on the head

This is the way to use and visualize your AXE-FX always. So many see it as a box with secret codes and thousands of things to know and learn. Always try to "Imagine this in real life" try to visualize what you would do with real equipment. Only look at one block at a time, the way you would if you were hands on. It is just a series of simple blocks. Don't worry about the deeper setting. Only look at what you are familiar with. Treat it like real world components one at a time and you will see it in a new, simpler light.

I think that is good advice, but at the same time, I think its good to think outside the box, so to speak lol, with what you can do "in the box".

A lot of times I see people trying to set up FX in the order of their hardware pedals, and then always using that for each patch. In hardware, generally that is what you need to do, but in the Axe, you can totally change stuff around, putting a reverb before the amp in one patch, after in another.

There is so much you can do, on a patch by patch basis, that would be difficult in hardware, either due to cost, routing issues etc. I often didn't run stereo effects with hardware simply because I didn't have a second amp/cab to hook up to my delay or chorus pedals most of my life lol

Likewise, just because a hardware pedal might not offer such control, don't feel you can't assign modifiers and CC's to whatever you'd like in the Axe. I love adding envelope control to my FX, blending FX with an expression pedal etc.

Generally if you can imagine it, you can do it in the Axe, which is part of what makes the box so fun and inspiring

Back
Top Bottom