How to output to mono

wembley

Inspired
I usually go direct with two amps panned l/r, and stereo delys, chorus etc. I'm facing a couple of gigs where I might have to go mono. How do I do this in a simple manner, using my existing patches?

wembley said:
I usually go direct with two amps panned l/r, and stereo delys, chorus etc. I'm facing a couple of gigs where I might have to go mono. How do I do this in a simple manner, using my existing patches?

you can do this by setting your output mode in the IO menu to sum l+r or copy L->R

However, if your patches may not sound very good collapsed to mono. copy l->r will eliminate phase cancellation but you will not get the right signal mixed in. It just copies the left signal to the right.

javajunkie said:
wembley said:

you can do this by setting your output mode in the IO menu to sum l+r or copy L->R

However, if your patches may not sound very good collapsed to mono. copy l->r will eliminate phase cancellation but you will not get the right signal mixed in. It just copies the left signal to the right.

Thanks. Are there any rules of thumb as to what kind of effects might cause trouble going from stereo to mono? I usually use two amps hard panned l/r -> two cabinets panned hard l/r -> rotary -> stereo delay (sometimes with heavy chorusing on the dly taps) -> verb.

wembley said:
javajunkie said:
wembley said:

Thanks. Are there any rules of thumb as to what kind of effects might cause trouble going from stereo to mono? I usually use two amps hard panned l/r -> two cabinets panned hard l/r -> rotary -> stereo delay (sometimes with heavy chorusing on the dly taps) -> verb.

Well sometimes to amps that sound great in stereo, sound like crap(mud or shrill) when collapsed to mono. However, some combinations sound good.
You will have to test that.

Stereo delay can change substantially depending on the spread and phase. A wide spread will make them sound like separate delays, collapse that to mono and it can sound like a faster delay. If you have phase reverse settings on effects you can experience phase cancellation that can negate the effect or just do strange things.

You may be better off just making mono patches.

I've been lucky with using stereo patches in a mono environment.

What I do is first try with setting the output mode in the IO menu to "sum l+r". Then I audition all the patches I plan on using, and look carefully for any phasing issues. Any patches that do have some phasing issues are either checked off my list of usable ones, or I quickly edit the patch to "fix" it for proper mono use (get rid of any phase reversals, etc.).

If I'm really stuck, I will try setting the output mode in the IO menu to "copy l->r", but I prefer NOT to use this (because you completely lose the right channel, including any stereo ping-pong delays that are panned right). In that setting, many of my patches have delay times that are double the usual (because the repeat on the right side is missing altogether). So I seriously try to avoid it.

Like I said, using "sum l+r" and careful auditioning, I can usually get away with it.

Oh, and like Java said, some dual amp settings don't work well once collapsed to mono. In my case, I never use two amps at once (most of my patches have two amp blocks, but I only use one *or* the other, not both at the same time), so I'm ok.

Don't give up, it's workable.

Daniel

I use a mono p.a.(bose) so am always in this mode, but run L & R out of Axe into two channels on mixer and alter e.q. slightly between the two, and also rev. level on desk. sound is mega' :)

Back
Top Bottom