How To Modify Global Volume?

quark

Experienced
The manual on pg 120 gives a clear explanation on how to modify the response of a volume/pan block to an external pedal.

You right mouse click on the volume parameter and assign a controller to it - say Ext 1 which might be assigned to a pedal - and then you adjust the modifiers to get a more useful taper to the motion of the pedal.

Is it possible to do this with Output1 Volume (CC ##11)? I thought I could do this with the Output Mixer by assigning a controller to the main output level but this parameter is not controllable. And this wouldn't be global either but would have to be assigned per preset.

I'm just looking for a way to control volume globally with a controller and modifiers without having to put a dedicated volume/pan block into each preset. It's easy to assign a controller to Output Volume 1 but I don't see how I can modify it to control taper? Any thoughts?

Thanks ...

hmm, i think you can't do it. the vol/pan block is the way to go, and yes you have to put it in each patch.

but, you can turn the guitar volume down but leave the delay and reverb trails going if you place it in the right spot in the patch. that's the only reason i don't use the output 1 or 2 control. i turn down the entire signal and i lose all trails and sound.

Thanks, Chris, you may be right ... I was just looking for something relatively simple that would allow me to adjust overall volume depending on how loud others in the group might be playing. Being able to put a modifier on Output1 would allow a little more control over how sensitive Output1 would be to slight pedal motions. I use a lot of stock presets with just slight modification, so not having to add a volume/pan block would have been a plus.

if you have 2 switches to spare, you can assign one to Volume INCR (CTRL #35) and another to Volume DECR (#36). i think these control the "Main" volume slider on the Output tab of the Layout page. Yes, it'd be per patch, but you could still use this to adjust volume on the fly. Best thing is you don't have to press save when you press the switch. It will increase or decrease the volume (I forgot by how much exactly) each time and save it for you.

in fact... lemme try that now.

edit - haha woah that's cool! i just added it to switch 4 & 5, so i have to use the reveal function on the mfc.

But it changes the main volume on output-layout page by 1 db.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you want to do. What foot controller do you use? If you assign the exp pedal to CC#11 you will have control of the master volume globally. To my knowledge you can't modify the sweep like in the modifier section but it will control your master output heel down being off and toe down being on and everything in between

I don't understand what you want to do .... To my knowledge you can't modify the sweep like in the modifier section

That's exactly what he wants to do. He realizes that you can control the output volume with CC#11, but it's hard to turn it down or up "just a little" using an expression pedal. Probably wants to adjust the slope so there is less change with bigger movement of the pedal.

That's exactly what he wants to do. He realizes that you can control the output volume with CC#11, but it's hard to turn it down or up "just a little" using an expression pedal. Probably wants to adjust the slope so there is less change with bigger movement of the pedal.

Exactly right, Chris.

Your Volume Incr/Decr using CC 35, 36 is a good idea ... just have to realize that you'll be resaving your preset with not only the new main output volume but also any other changes you may have made in the states of other blocks. May or may not be a problem ...

That's what I would like to do as well. My H & K Zentera lets you set the min & max levels of the master volume so you can have for example, heel at 80% volume, toe at 100% so you have easier control over small adjustments.

may be worth putting it on the wish list. The ability to tweak the response curve of the expresssion pedal for master out put 1 and 2 and or being able to set a min max for it would prob be pretty cool.

I have been controlling Vol 1 output since my Std , years ago. Doing it now with my II-Is that what you mean? Works o0n every preset auto.
OK didn't see the second part about controlling the slope. I am very use to mine the way it is and I can get very small increases-guess I just have a sensitive foot :)

may be worth putting it on the wish list. The ability to tweak the response curve of the expresssion pedal for master out put 1 and 2 and or being able to set a min max for it would prob be pretty cool.
+1 for this... I use my pedal for 0-12dB of attenuation... I find full scale to be way too sensitive. I just use a null filter at the end of each patch, but it would have been nice to do globally.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried setting the Expression Pedals Mix/Max values on the midi controller (MFC in my case) in order to "limit" the full sweep of the pedal? I'm trying to do exactly what the OP is getting at, which is minimizing the full effect of the volume sweep. I'm trying to globally control volume quickly and easily without volume blocks in each preset. I don't care about reverb/delay trails as this isn't meant for swells and such. I just need to control my overall output volume, just as if I was reaching over and turning the "Output 1" knob. Problem with the full sweep is the small adjustments are too much. I'm thinking of setting the "Min" value to 100 and "Max" to 127. Just not sure if this will work with the whole sweep of the pedal? Either it will allow a gentle sweep of volume, or it will just render the first 80% of my pedal useless. Does anyone know how this might work?

Your Volume Incr/Decr using CC 35, 36 is a good idea ... just have to realize that you'll be resaving your preset with not only the new main output volume but also any other changes you may have made in the states of other blocks. May or may not be a problem ...
When I make a change to volume and save it on the Axe, as was said it will of course save the preset with the current state of the FX. Will this affect my MFC presets? I'm going to be using it in non-Axe (IA Switch) mode so I can have various states of a single preset available on switches 1-5. I think the MFC preset "overrides" what's stored in the patch on the Axe but I'm not sure. I don't want the MFC to decide that switch 1 now has all the fx enabled if it shouldn't...

Has anyone tried setting the Expression Pedals Mix/Max values on the midi controller (MFC in my case) in order to "limit" the full sweep of the pedal? I'm trying to do exactly what the OP is getting at, which is minimizing the full effect of the volume sweep. I'm trying to globally control volume quickly and easily without volume blocks in each preset. I don't care about reverb/delay trails as this isn't meant for swells and such. I just need to control my overall output volume, just as if I was reaching over and turning the "Output 1" knob. Problem with the full sweep is the small adjustments are too much. I'm thinking of setting the "Min" value to 100 and "Max" to 127. Just not sure if this will work with the whole sweep of the pedal? Either it will allow a gentle sweep of volume, or it will just render the first 80% of my pedal useless. Does anyone know how this might work?

Okay, so I'm quoting my own post... but I tried setting the Global Expression pedal min/max value from about MIN 90 MAX 127 and it worked. I've now got a slow smooth volume adjustment that is probably like a -10db up to 0db. I'm guessing on those values, but it's enough to bring down the overall volume to a talking level, then I can bring it back up slowly to full volume. It's nice!!

I don't like to use CC#11 for different volume because I have a looper in each preset and this will make my loops switch to different volume as I switch presets.
I've inserted a volume block before delay and reverb to keep the tails when I back down the volume.
You can save a volume block with the slope you like in Axe-Edit, this way it will take you no time to insert it in each of your preset. Save and you're done.

Back
Top Bottom