how to mix impulse responce?

redbud

Inspired
i am a total IRidiot. so please excuse the stupid question. I downloaded the free Ir's from red wire and will be getting more because they sound great but.....

How do i make a impulse response mix. i want to mix 3 or 4 ir's into 1 user slot can i do that?

I have both Redwirez and Ownhammer IR libraries and I find them useful when trying to achieve specific results that the stock IR's in the Ultra won't cover. I was unaware that there were tools available to mix and save IR's until reading this thread. I think I'll give IR Lab a trial run this coming week. :)

Using the guide posted posted by Andrew Simon I'm now able to mix IR's and save them as .syx IR's. I've only made one so far using three Redwirez Basketweave 4x12 G12H30 IR's. The result sounds fantastic! I'll be doing more of this. :)

Using the guide posted posted by Andrew Simon I'm now able to mix IR's and save them as .syx IR's. I've only made one so far using three Redwirez Basketweave 4x12 G12H30 IR's. The result sounds fantastic! I'll be doing more of this. :)

Cool. Now that you have something you like, don't forget you can share it with the Redwirez community. You can upload your mixes on your My Stuff page, then hit the "share" link to post it to the community. Or, you can just post it here and I'll do it :)

Cool. Now that you have something you like, don't forget you can share it with the Redwirez community. You can upload your mixes on your My Stuff page, then hit the "share" link to post it to the community. Or, you can just post it here and I'll do it :)

I definitely plan to share 'recipes' I've mixed that I find appealing. My first one was just an experiment that yielded a surprisingly good result. I have the project saved in Sonar and I'll use it as a template to mix others. Last nights quick mix still needs some tweaking to get it right but it's closer to the desired result than I expected - much closer. Cool stuff!

Ok - I worked with the DAW approach using Sonar 8 quite a bit yesterday and produced some really great sounding results. I noticed something that concerns me about the quality of the resulting .wav file. There's a tiny bit of noise after the completed filtered 'trigger' pulse (the output .wav file - newly mixed IR) where the audio should be blank. I went back and looked at how gains were staged at various points in the DAW project. The audio track containing the 'trigger.wav' audio is set to 0dB for the sends to each bus. With the output of four buses set to 0dB I have to set the output gain in each instance of the PerfectSpace convolution plugin to anywhere from +6dB to +12dB to reach a signal level of -0.1dB at the master output where the buses are summed. I'm assuming that I'm amplifying noise from somewhere as with all levels set to 0dB the blank space after the impulse on the new IR wave shows flat blank audio. I'll go back and look for an assigned audio input somewhere to see if there's a source for the noise.

Any other ideas from others using this process? This may be a non issue but I do wonder if the noise is having more than a negligible effect on the resulting impulse audio. I'm probably over-thinking this but I'm new to the IR thing altogether and I don't want to burn too much time with a bad process. Any thoughts, ideas, or advice is welcome.

Thanks! :)

Ok - I worked with the DAW approach using Sonar 8 quite a bit yesterday and produced some really great sounding results. I noticed something that concerns me about the quality of the resulting .wav file. There's a tiny bit of noise after the completed filtered 'trigger' pulse (the output .wav file - newly mixed IR) where the audio should be blank. I went back and looked at how gains were staged at various points in the DAW project. The audio track containing the 'trigger.wav' audio is set to 0dB for the sends to each bus. With the output of four buses set to 0dB I have to set the output gain in each instance of the PerfectSpace convolution plugin to anywhere from +6dB to +12dB to reach a signal level of -0.1dB at the master output where the buses are summed. I'm assuming that I'm amplifying noise from somewhere as with all levels set to 0dB the blank space after the impulse on the new IR wave shows flat blank audio. I'll go back and look for an assigned audio input somewhere to see if there's a source for the noise.

Any other ideas from others using this process? This may be a non issue but I do wonder if the noise is having more than a negligible effect on the resulting impulse audio. I'm probably over-thinking this but I'm new to the IR thing altogether and I don't want to burn too much time with a bad process. Any thoughts, ideas, or advice is welcome.

i have no idea what u are talking about lol.

i just want to play guitar and after messing with some redwire irs they do sound good but it leaves my head spinning.

i have built alot of my previous guitar rigs from scratch so i am not an electronics idiot but 500 different choices from one impulse response? I have a family, 2 dogs, a full time job, a part time job and a garden to take care of.(thats should make everyone laugh) that leaves little time for digging through 500 files to find a good cab. so what do i do. just go back to real cabs?

sorry to sound ungrateful to you redwire because what u have done for the community is awesome i am very impressed with your irs they sound really good.

however is there anyway redwire that u can just have 1 great sounding ir mix in all the irs u have for sale? just plug and play to give us an idea of where to start digging in deeper. then us irdiots will be able to get a better start.

i am totally full of shit because i know that the only way is to dig in and learn what works for me lol guess im looking for instant gratification. like line 6 stuff but there stuff is like instant 25% gratification. i make no sense so im going to bed!

That's one reason why we started the recipe sharing part of the site. There are a lot of people who actually like exploring the tonal possibilities. So, why not piggyback on their efforts. It's not really being used too much yet, but mixes are starting to appear.

But, we know that's not for everyone. And you don't have to mix, necessarily. One mic will do it in many cases. We have some pretty good starting points on the tutorial page, too. Lot's of time these starting points will be just the ticket. But, if they don't quite work, we feel it's important to give our users the ability to tweak.

There is no reason why you should need to go through 500 IRs to find the best one for your situation. I think we need to do a better job of explaining that.

Basically, you just pick a starting point. Here are some pretty good ones:

R121 - Cap 1-2"
SM57 - Cap Edge 0-1", CapEdgeOffAxis 0"
TAB57 - Cap Edge 0", CapEdgeOffAxis 0"
U87 - Cap Edge 2-3"
421 - CapEdge 0", CapOffAxis 0", Cone 3"
C414 - CapEdge 2-3"
M160 - Cap 0-2", CapEdge 0-2"
i5 - Cone 0"
RE20 - CapEdge 0"
KM84 - CapEdge 2-3"
M7 - CapEdge 1-2"
M8 - CapEdge 1"

Or, if you need one general rule for all mics then you should probably start on the CapEdge at 1".

Then dial it:

* Move the mic closer for more proximity effect and thus more low-end. This will balance out the highs you get from being closer to the cap or overwhelm them in some cases and skew the balance.

* Move the mic farther away to thin it out and hear more of the room. This works well for clean guitars & "bassy" amps.

* Move the mic towards the cap for more high end, or "definition" if it sounds too muddy

* Move the mic out towards the edge of the cone if you're getting too much high end or it sounds too harsh.

* If it sounds too bright, sometimes it'll work to leave the mic where it is and just flip it off axis. It will roll-off the highs and depending on the mic give it "grainy-er" sound.

If you make the decision to stick to one mic for your main tone, it's not as time consuming as you might think.

If you're the type of person who likes to mix, then you have the freedom to do so. If you're not, you can plug and play other folks' mixes, or just go the instant gratification route with one of the above starting points and maybe a few tweaks to dial it in and leave it at that.

Basically, you just pick a starting point. Here are some pretty good ones:

R121 - Cap 1-2"
SM57 - Cap Edge 0-1", CapEdgeOffAxis 0"
TAB57 - Cap Edge 0", CapEdgeOffAxis 0"
U87 - Cap Edge 2-3"
421 - CapEdge 0", CapOffAxis 0", Cone 3"
C414 - CapEdge 2-3"
M160 - Cap 0-2", CapEdge 0-2"
i5 - Cone 0"
RE20 - CapEdge 0"
KM84 - CapEdge 2-3"
M7 - CapEdge 1-2"
M8 - CapEdge 1"

Or, if you need one general rule for all mics then you should probably start on the CapEdge at 1".

Then dial it:

* Move the mic closer for more proximity effect and thus more low-end. This will balance out the highs you get from being closer to the cap or overwhelm them in some cases and skew the balance.

* Move the mic farther away to thin it out and hear more of the room. This works well for clean guitars & "bassy" amps.

* Move the mic towards the cap for more high end, or "definition" if it sounds too muddy

* Move the mic out towards the edge of the cone if you're getting too much high end or it sounds too harsh.

* If it sounds too bright, sometimes it'll work to leave the mic where it is and just flip it off axis. It will roll-off the highs and depending on the mic give it "grainy-er" sound.

If you make the decision to stick to one mic for your main tone, it's not as time consuming as you might think.

If you're the type of person who likes to mix, then you have the freedom to do so. If you're not, you can plug and play other folks' mixes, or just go the instant gratification route with one of the above starting points and maybe a few tweaks to dial it in and leave it at that.

This is the golden ticket right here. Mods, Can make a sticky with this info?

wow! great info and quick response! that is the kind of attitude that will grow your company thank you so much i will defiantly be purchasing more from you in the future.

i feel like an idiot because i didn't even know you had a tutorial. that will be great help.

only 1 suggestion......maybe you should put a link to the tutorial on your home page so that people that download the free ir can find it easier and read about it. i think that would sell more for your company. then the dip shits like me will not bug you.lol

thanks again!

How 'bout a link on every page of the site that says, "Help" :) We probably should write up a guide and put it in the downloads. I think I'll do that. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom