How to make Dumble Steel String Singer Preset

Yes -- Snoop, I would suggest you turn the input trim down to maybe 0.5 and see how you like that, and to turn OFF the PEQ block in front of the amp off - it's not needed with humbuckers, as they put out mids.

Then tinker with B/M/Treble to get the last mile based on your guitar and its pickups. Let us know how that worked for you, and what else you might do to make it work in a way you like!

Hi Austin, I spend some time to play your preset and tweaked it a bit. Learned a lot during the process:
- for some reason I thought, I had already Q8.02 on my axe. When trying to load your preset, I discovered I was still on 7.02. The update alone brought quite a change to the positive (across all presets) ;-)
- from past experiments, I remembered that I liked the Skyliner dark better than the Skyliner. So I throwed that in without even trying the Skyliner. Big mistake - with the Humbuckers the dark is ... well.... too dark
- Lowered input trim and left gain and master volume as suggested. Again - big improvement
- Took out the PreEQ as suggested. Indeed, better like this
- Experimented with a drive block and found the FET to fit in nicely. Set gain to "0" and tone to 7.5. That make a huge improvement.
- Experimented with the compressor, but did not come to a final verdict yet . Further research needed.

Overall, I like what I'm hearing so far quite a lot, but still need to work on this to be totally happy. One thing to consider though is, that (indeed) the preset benefits a lot from being played loud. This I couldn't do at home. just played at bedroom level, which doesn' t help.

Thanks for inspiring me to work on this preset. Without your thread, I would never have started with a bass amp, and would not have experimented with the tonestack.

Cheers - Snoop

Hi Austin, I spend some time to play your preset and tweaked it a bit. Learned a lot during the process:
- for some reason I thought, I had already Q8.02 on my axe. When trying to load your preset, I discovered I was still on 7.02. The update alone brought quite a change to the positive (across all presets) ;-)
- from past experiments, I remembered that I liked the Skyliner dark better than the Skyliner. So I throwed that in without even trying the Skyliner. Big mistake - with the Humbuckers the dark is ... well.... too dark
- Lowered input trim and left gain and master volume as suggested. Again - big improvement
- Took out the PreEQ as suggested. Indeed, better like this
- Experimented with a drive block and found the FET to fit in nicely. Set gain to "0" and tone to 7.5. That make a huge improvement.
- Experimented with the compressor, but did not come to a final verdict yet . Further research needed.

Overall, I like what I'm hearing so far quite a lot, but still need to work on this to be totally happy. One thing to consider though is, that (indeed) the preset benefits a lot from being played loud. This I couldn't do at home. just played at bedroom level, which doesn' t help.

Thanks for inspiring me to work on this preset. Without your thread, I would never have started with a bass amp, and would not have experimented with the tonestack.

Cheers - Snoop
Thanks for the feedback Snoop. Sometimes I use the MIX (by the level) control on the stereo compressor, to dial it to 50% or so, which gives me the best of both words - you still get the sustain, but it does not make the signal as squashed sounding.

It's all about finding out what works for your ears and makes you happy!

Thanks for the feedback Snoop. Sometimes I use the MIX (by the level) control on the stereo compressor, to dial it to 50% or so, which gives me the best of both words - you still get the sustain, but it does not make the signal as squashed sounding.

It's all about finding out what works for your ears and makes you happy!

Wow, that's another interesting hint that I will investigate - never really payed attention to the MIX control on the stereo compressor. But your suggestions immediately makes sense to me. Will give it a try.

i will try this preset when my Axe III will arrive.
Thanks for sharing

I must say that I'm a little skeptical about this type of preset. Replicating the Dumble sound, whether it's an Ods or an SSS like in the case of SRV) is really difficult, if not impossible. First of all for the "live" tone, which changes every instant depending on the playing, then for the many harmonics produced and finally, in the case of the SSS, for the infinite sustain that no other clean amp has, like the sustain of a gain tone.
I tried many simulations, on Kemper, on Fractal Ax8 and Ax II, no really close (as for other type of amp), imho

:)

i will try this preset when my Axe III will arrive.
Thanks for sharing

I must say that I'm a little skeptical about this type of preset. Replicating the Dumble sound, whether it's an Ods or an SSS like in the case of SRV) is really difficult, if not impossible. First of all for the "live" tone, which changes every instant depending on the playing, then for the many harmonics produced and finally, in the case of the SSS, for the infinite sustain that no other clean amp has, like the sustain of a gain tone.
I tried many simulations, on Kemper, on Fractal Ax8 and Ax II, no really close (as for other type of amp), imho

Hey tilt, I agree that the D-Style tone is challenging in the virtual world, but @austinbuddy s SSS is pretty nice, although it remains to be seen (and fully explained by FAS AFAIK) what the level of compatibility is between II and III presets....

Hey tilt, I agree that the D-Style tone is challenging in the virtual world, but @austinbuddy s SSS is pretty nice, although it remains to be seen (and fully explained by FAS AFAIK) what the level of compatibility is between II and III presets....

to avoid misunderstandings I do not doubt that the @austinbuddy preset can be very nice, I just wanted to underline what I think is a limitation of the digital, against the Dumble world :)

to avoid misunderstandings I do not doubt that the @austinbuddy preset can be very nice, I just wanted to underline what I think is a limitation of the digital, against the Dumble world :)
Understood and agreed...I too have owned all the major players in modeling, and TBH, the closest I’ve heard to date are some MBritt Fuchs and Dumble profiles in his D style Kemper pack..you ever hear them?
Sadly, we may have missed our opportunity for the holy Grail of
Fractal .dumblization....there has been a forum member (name rhymes with Sex Fax) who is seriously Dumble-obsessed and filled many pages on this forum rambling about his alleged dissections , sales , litigations and other (mis)adventures with all manner of amp makers and famed D-users and models...
His eccentricities and sometimes badly inappropriate forum behavior got him banned before he could share what he claimed was the unlocked secret preset of that tone..whether it exists or not is probably never going to be answered....but I miss his rants (before they turned toxic....)

Understood and agreed...I too have owned all the major players in modeling, and TBH, the closest I’ve heard to date are some MBritt Fuchs and Dumble profiles in his D style Kemper pack..you ever hear them?
Sadly, we may have missed our opportunity for the holy Grail of
Fractal .dumblization....there has been a forum member (name rhymes with Sex Fax) who is seriously Dumble-obsessed and filled many pages on this forum rambling about his alleged dissections , sales , litigations and other (mis)adventures with all manner of amp makers and famed D-users and models...
His eccentricities and sometimes badly inappropriate forum behavior got him banned before he could share what he claimed was the unlocked secret preset of that tone..whether it exists or not is probably never going to be answered....but I miss his rants (before they turned toxic....)

Yes, I had Britt's D-Pack, nice but not the holy grail, as you say.
Instead about the user you described (and banned?), as I read your description it almost seemed that you spoke of Mr Alexander Howard Dumble in person! ahahahah

We could ask moderators to re-enter him in the forum :grimacing:

Replicating the Dumble sound, whether it's an Ods or an SSS like in the case of SRV) is really difficult, if not impossible....in the case of the SSS, for the infinite sustain that no other clean amp has, like the sustain of a gain tone.
You can’t replicate that sustain without room volume, because that’s where it comes from. Gain from the amp (whether clean or distorted), loss from the speaker (because its a passive element and will always deliver a signal loss) , loss from the transfer of acoustic energy from the speaker to the guitar, loss from guitar vibrations to the pickups, loss through the guitar cable back to the amp...

If the sum of those gains is zero dB or greater, you’ll get infinite sustain. If it’s less than zero dB, you won’t. All amps are subject to the same rule. Heck, back in the day, I could get infinite clean sustain from my little Kalamazoo Model One and my Gretsch New Yorker.

You can’t replicate that sustain without room volume, because that’s where it comes from. Gain from the amp (whether clean or distorted), loss from the speaker (because its a passive element and will always deliver a signal loss) , loss from the transfer of acoustic energy from the speaker to the guitar, loss from guitar vibrations to the pickups, loss through the guitar cable back to the amp...

If the sum of those gains is zero dB or greater, you’ll get infinite sustain. If it’s less than zero dB, you won’t. All amps are subject to the same rule. Heck, back in the day, I could get infinite clean sustain from my little Kalamazoo Model One and my Gretsch New Yorker.

thank you for your precious and technical thought. It would be nice if the math was enough to recreate the fantastic clean stamp of an SSS, or its sustain, but I fear it is not enough. Welagen, Bludotone, to give two examples, have approached the "real thing" in my opinion, in the digital world I hope that Cliff will find "the secret formula" as soon as possible!

there has been a forum member (name rhymes with Sex Fax) who is seriously Dumble-obsessed and filled many pages on this forum rambling about his alleged dissections , sales , litigations and other (mis)adventures with all manner of amp makers and famed D-users and models...
His eccentricities and sometimes badly inappropriate forum behavior got him banned
Would have been much more fun if his name was Sex Fax! Great band name :)

I must have missed the banning... I wondered where he'd gone.

Ramble on...

Would have been much more fun if his name was Sex Fax! Great band name :)

I must have missed the banning... I wondered where he'd gone.

Ramble on...
He was banned(or left of his own volition, unsure) once some months ago, returned recently under a new username, but was immediately recognized by myself and yek ( his prose style is pretty memorable).. his thread turned very ugly and I fear he is gone for good...

He was banned once some months ago, returned recently under a new username, but was immediately recognized by myself and yek ( his prose style is pretty memorable).. his thread turned very ugly and I fear he is gone for good...
Yeah... I must have missed that one, too. Odd, as I'm pretty active and usually read the D-style threads.

Definitely a distinctive style of posting ;)

Yeah, he was definitely a wealth of knowledge, I always enjoyed reading his posts, and the few conversations I had had with him. Hopefully he’ll be allowed back if indeed he was banned.
He is a man of great passion for his craft, and as such is prone to be a victim of himself.

I recently acquired a G&L Comanche and used this preset last night. O. M. Fn. G!. What a great, great sound. I don't know one way or the other if it's authentic or not, as I've got no prior experience to use for comparison, but I certainly had a Beavis and Butthead moment.

upload_2018-9-14_8-57-32.jpeg

Im trying to make this preset on AXE III, but i cannot find Preamp Dynamics parameter. Has it changed? Only similar thing i see is Input Dynamics in Output comp settings of amp block. Is this the same parameter?

Im trying to make this preset on AXE III, but i cannot find Preamp Dynamics parameter. Has it changed? Only similar thing i see is Input Dynamics in Output comp settings of amp block. Is this the same parameter?
Can you share this preset? I had a Welagen SSS that was amazing, and have been searching for a great model or profile of the SSS.

Back
Top Bottom