How to make BPMs show up in the display of the LF Pro?

Hi - I go the tap tempo to work, but unfortunately it doesn't say how many BPMs you have just tapped in. Is there a way of getting the BPMs to show up in the display of the LF Pro when you are using tap tempo? Thanks!

690MBCOMMANDO said:
Hi - I go the tap tempo to work, but unfortunately it doesn't say how many BPMs you have just tapped in. Is there a way of getting the BPMs to show up in the display of the LF Pro when you are using tap tempo? Thanks!
With the LittleGiant, you can have a nice big BPM value shown on the display. It calculates and shows the BPM of an incoming MIDI Clock, or of a local metronome, or of the local taptempo function.
So an LG user could use the built-in taptempo functionality, have the BPM displayed, and let the LG send a CC message or MIDI clock to control the tempo of the Axe-FX.
I recently found out about this Axe-FX sysex sent out on each taptempo tick. Maybe I could process this signal too, and display a flashing LED and a calculated BPM from it, but that seems like a big detour to have the same result. Using proprietary sysex is not the optimal way to handle time critical events (although it's causing far less overload than using the standard MIDI Clock. So it was probably the best choice here)

ossandust said:
With the LittleGiant, you can have a nice big BPM value shown on the display. It calculates and shows the BPM of an incoming MIDI Clock, or of a local metronome, or of the local taptempo function.
So an LG user could use the built-in taptempo functionality, have the BPM displayed, and let the LG send a CC message or MIDI clock to control the tempo of the Axe-FX.
I recently found out about this Axe-FX sysex sent out on each taptempo tick. Maybe I could process this signal too, and display a flashing LED and a calculated BPM from it, but that seems like a big detour to have the same result. Using proprietary sysex is not the optimal way to handle time critical events (although it's causing far less overload than using the standard MIDI Clock. So it was probably the best choice here)
Actually, while looking at the source code, I discovered another cool feature (I believe). I completely forgot about this, so I guess most LG users don't know it neither. You can program a fixed BPM (per preset) to control the AxeFX tempo, or you can "tap" the tempo. But after that you can also make slight changes to the tempo by turning the scroll weel, instead of re-tapping. While doing so, of course the BPM value is displayed, so you can set the tempo accurately.

ossandust said:
690MBCOMMANDO said:

He has a liquid foot pro, not a little giant.

To the Original poster. No, it doesn't display the BPM in a numeric format but there is a tempo light that will pulse to the tempo you just tapped in. You may want to ask Jeff about the possiblity of adding the feature.

javajunkie said:
ossandust said:
690MBCOMMANDO said:

He has a liquid foot pro, not a little giant.

To the Original poster. No, it doesn't display the BPM in a numeric format but there is a tempo light that will pulse to the tempo you just tapped in. You may want to ask Jeff about the possiblity of adding the feature.

Yeppers. Thanks!

ossandust said:
I recently found out about this Axe-FX sysex sent out on each taptempo tick. Maybe I could process this signal too, and display a flashing LED

Would be a nice feature but I found for the moment the MIDI in LED already serves that purpose for me as it already blinks on each tempo tick ;-)

S.R.

srooijens said:
ossandust said:
I recently found out about this Axe-FX sysex sent out on each taptempo tick. Maybe I could process this signal too, and display a flashing LED

Would be a nice feature but I found for the moment the MIDI in LED already serves that purpose for me as it already blinks on each tempo tick ;-)

S.R.

Yeah - the blinking tempo is the main thing but it's nice (for me) to have the bpm initially flash up when running a complex delay. My timefactor has it.

srooijens said:
ossandust said:

S.R.

You should really turn that feature OFF on the axe-fx(set the send realtime sysex to tuner only). Having that on has the potential to make the LF do unintended things.

You can program the LF to blink to the tap tempo you put in or have it set per preset or song.

690MBCOMMANDO said:
U2JustMe said:
will add it so it briefly shows the BPM and MS after the tapping is done... next firmware I guess.

did this make it into the most recent update? thanks!

AFAIK no. totally silence from Liquid Foot at the moment

I heard from Fractal and they said that the AxeFx DOES transmit BPM data via midi by default.

Anyone know how to setup the LFPRO so that it shows up on the led of the LFPRO?

Can't seem to get a response from liquid foot.

Well I heard back from Fractal as well as Liquid Foot and there still doesn't appear to be any way to make this happen :oops: :oops: :oops:

I use the Eventide Timefactor and when I tap, the BPM#'s show up in the display in addition to the flashing light. Very useful when running complex delays, especially at the opening of a song.

I asked for both Fractal and Liquid Foot to please include this capability in the next update. Hopefully this will be added to the list and materialize.

Post here if you want it and maybe we can make a small voice to both places!

690MBCOMMANDO said:
I use the Eventide Timefactor and when I tap, the BPM#'s show up in the display in addition to the flashing light. Very useful when running complex delays, especially at the opening of a song.
If you want extact bpm values for the openings you can use the T-Tempo special command.

In every other situation knowing the number of bpm's is meaningless, because the most important thing is being in time with the band.

GiRa said:
690MBCOMMANDO said:
If you want extact bpm values for the openings you can use the T-Tempo special command.

In every other situation knowing the number of bpm's is meaningless, because the most important thing is being in time with the band.

Yes it's mainly for the openings (arguably the most important situation when playing live. Tell me more about the T-Tempo special command.

LFP Manual said:
SENDING A SPECIFIC TEMPO TO AN EXTERNAL DEVICE USING NORMAL TAP?TEMPO PROCESS

There are times when you will want the Liquid?Foot to simulate the “tapping” of a tempo based on a specific BPM. Enter the BPM value into the 2: Data parameter. For instance, if 129 was entered as the BPM, then this function will send a first tap?tempo message at time 0, and will again send a tap tempo CC message at time to lock in exactly 129 BPM. This function pretends a user was tapping an IA switch. This function does NOT rely on SYSEX messages, and therefore is a real?time function. It will take exactly the tempo length in time prior to moving to the next command of the Preset or IA switch. Keep in mind that this will cause a delay in processing and may appear as a “hiccup” in processing of your presets or IA switches. This is normal functioning.

If you program it in the song's MIDI messages it works fine.

GiRa said:
LFP Manual said:
SENDING A SPECIFIC TEMPO TO AN EXTERNAL DEVICE USING NORMAL TAP?TEMPO PROCESS

There are times when you will want the Liquid?Foot to simulate the “tapping” of a tempo based on a specific BPM. Enter the BPM value into the 2: Data parameter. For instance, if 129 was entered as the BPM, then this function will send a first tap?tempo message at time 0, and will again send a tap tempo CC message at time to lock in exactly 129 BPM. This function pretends a user was tapping an IA switch. This function does NOT rely on SYSEX messages, and therefore is a real?time function. It will take exactly the tempo length in time prior to moving to the next command of the Preset or IA switch. Keep in mind that this will cause a delay in processing and may appear as a “hiccup” in processing of your presets or IA switches. This is normal functioning.

If you program it in the song's MIDI messages it works fine.

Hi - Thanks I'm aware of having a preset BPM and how to do that. In a live setting I like to be able to tap in on the fly and quickly have the BPM value appear in the screen like it does with many higher end delay pedals. Fractal says it's really easy to do and they will be adding it as a feature request.

A flashing led is way more useful than a BPM value. And you can tap whatever tempo you want after the T-Tempo command.

Back
Top Bottom