How to make A Deluxe Verb Chime?

Keep MV at 10, lower Input Trim to 0.5 (with humbuckers), keep Input Drive low, increase the volume with Amp Level if desired, try the Deluxe Verb Mix cab, or Double Verb Mix, or 1x12 EV 12L.

All of the posts are great info to try but I would recommend that you think about coil tapping the pups. You have a lot more possibilities that become available to your tone pallet.

An oldie from Cliff:

Cliff, 2008 HRI: IMHO, the essence of "chime" is plenty of high-frequency boost and a decent amount of nonlinearity. Now, by non-linearity I don't mean clipping but a transfer function that deviates significantly from a straight line. Power amps with no negative feedback are inherently less linear and that's why they sound chimier. The nonlinearity adds overtones which makes the notes sound more bell-like. The other effect of no negative feedback is increased treble as the impedance curve of the speaker imparts a treble boost due to the coil inductance.

This is an excellent answer!

So, what lowers negative feedback / increases non-linearity in the power amp modeling?

Last edited:
Not exactly what is being asked for, but, I've been playing with a guitarist that uses a deluxe reverb with various pedals. I simply call up the first DR preset in bank one, adjust the tone, and it sounds absolutely as good as the real thing. With a little tweaking, its even better. Blows me away every time!

I absolutely love the Deluxe Verb in the Axe II, it's my go to clean. The only help I can be to the OP is that that single coil pick ups are the key. Nothing will chime like a vintage wound S/C.

it's "damp" i think. the ac30 and buttery sims etc have damp set at zero
Indeed.

Cliff: Another reason is that JCM800s use relatively low amounts of negative feedback (which is why they're so loud). This causes a treble boost in the power amp. Increase the Damping parameter to increase the negative feedback.

/13 & Badger may have zero or low damping too.
Don't forget on 0 Presence becomes a hi-cut.

+
www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?p=11678&sid=21818ddf6a150ce9a9e7716a27a66d72&mforum=axefx#11678
[url]www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=9456143

[/URL]

Last edited:
I LOVE chimey tones. With that said, I haven't had a ton of luck on my amp. I'm using a strat, and have tried the AC top boost + blue 2x12. Getting the right amount of chime, but not sounding too thin or trebley is always my challenge.

I use a humbucker and love the Deluxe model in the Axe-FX.

What I do with it is more a 'grind' than 'chime' in character; but the keys are:

Cab IR. This can NEVER be repeated enough or too emphatically. I use a custom mix that I'll detail in coming weeks when I can. The Mix version of the Fractal collection will get you there.
Amp settings: Input trim is at 0.500; the rest are just to taste. Input Drive is at 7.00; Master is at 10. Bass is 3, middle at 5, treble is 8, Presence is at 7.

*One key that I will detail (in great detail at some point soon) is that you have to dial in the Low Res Freq. I have mine set at 122Hz. I've shied away from publicly discussing the speaker tab for some time now on purpose; for various reasons. But it is of the utmost importance to 'dial it in' like you tune a radio especially with this particular amp model.

Back
Top Bottom