• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

How to Make a Clear Sound at Low Volume

jw3571

Inspired
I have my setup in a 8 x 8 room so I obviously can't crank my Yamaha HS80's too much. I problem I have when playing Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Etc is it ends up sounding kind of muddy. The chords don't sound defined. I have Marshall SL5 that I play in another room but still not cranked. You can hear each note on that, is that just the different between a real tube amp and a sim?

tolchocks

Inspired
EQ? Or as i commented on another post, for some reason the axe needs a pre gain bass cut or wont sound as tight as the real counterpart. Apart from that, a bigger room makes things sound better...

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The Axe-Fx acts just like the amps it is modeling. It doesn't need bass cut to sound as tight as the amps it is modeling. There is no truth to that. If you are playing in a small room you will have a ton of low-frequency modes and that will impact the sound.

tolchocks

Inspired
The Axe-Fx acts just like the amps it is modeling. It doesn't need bass cut to sound as tight as the amps it is modeling. There is no truth to that. If you are playing in a small room you will have a ton of low-frequency modes and that will impact the sound.
Then theres something wrong with my unit... Perhaps in the input stage (analog) altough the sound seems normal to me (like a DI)...I thought you couldnt have problems in the firmware but after reading some people who have problems with a specific amp or something I now have doubts...
Im gonna play a simple riff through a mark IV and 108 cab, all in the middle except gain and master vol (7), and post it. The sound is fuzzy as hell if I dont cut A LOT of the bass entering the amp.

jeppekristoffer

Power User
Then theres something wrong with my unit... Perhaps in the input stage (analog) altough the sound seems normal to me (like a DI)...I thought you couldnt have problems in the firmware but after reading some people who have problems with a specific amp or something I now have doubts...
Im gonna play a simple riff through a mark IV and 108 cab, all in the middle except gain and master vol (7), and post it. The sound is fuzzy as hell if I dont cut A LOT of the bass entering the amp.
No disrespect, but have you ever used a real Mesa Boogie Mark amp?
To be able to get a sound with no flub and high gain you normally have to turn the bass knob down to about 8-9 o clock.

tolchocks

Inspired
I own a dual rectifier, and the effect is the same, although in the axes mark is more noticeable... I use the same guitar (Jackson KV USA).. Ive played a mark IV (with another guitar) and yes, it needs tweaking to get it there, but this is just too much.

tolchocks

Inspired
And here it goes... First the DI and then the amp.
Playing: markiv.mp3 - picosong

All at default values except master vol and gain, both at 7. The problem is not the bass itself, the problem is the fuzz... I can get a good (even great) sound but only by cutting LOTS of lows before the amp... In my dual recto at least, i can put everything in the middle and although wont sound great, it does sound decent..

jeppekristoffer

Power User
I own a dual rectifier, and the effect is the same, although in the axes mark is more noticeable... I use the same guitar (Jackson KV USA).. Ive played a mark IV (with another guitar) and yes, it needs tweaking to get it there, but this is just too much.
Ok I see.
One thing that is easy to forget is that the Master Volume settings of the Axe fx and the Master Volume settings of the real amps don't translate.
This is done one purpose, and it is to get a better consistency in loudness between the different models.
This can lead to that it is easier to set a higher Master volume in the Axe model than in the real amp which could lead to unwanted flubbiness.

See here under Amp parameters:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...ters#Amp_parameters:_behavior_of_the_controls

Or Cliffs post #335 here
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-version-12-04-public-beta-17.html#post978667

Last edited:

Semih Yanyali

Power User
Comparing FRFR to real guitar cab confuses most times...i would try to avoid this.
And if you dont hav definition, maybe u should just lower the gain and bass...add some mids...
And as i was in germany last month had to practice for couple of weeks with hs80...i recorded also alot with them back in the time. IMHO its hard to dial in a good sound with them, though good practice, feel like once its sound ok on them sounds better and good on other systems...they are maybe in a way ment to be like the ns10s....not sure about this, just an idea

tolchocks

Inspired
Sry to hijack but this may be the reason of my belief on having to cut the lows... anyone heard the file? Is it normal? The DI part is untouched, so maybe you could even reamp it to compare..

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
Sry to hijack but this may be the reason of my belief on having to cut the lows... anyone heard the file? Is it normal? The DI part is untouched, so maybe you could even reamp it to compare..
I had this problem with most of the amp models prior to FW16.02. After the upgrade, not so much. The boogie models are still unusable for me for the same reason you have. But most everything else sounds pretty good now.

jeppekristoffer

Power User
Ok. I've heard the clip but since I have no idea what tone you are trying to accomplish its hard to help.
Start a thread of your own and I can help.
Try these settings in the meantime, all settings at o clock.
Input drive at 1
Overdrive at 3
Bass at 8
Middle at 11
Treble at 2
Presence at 2
Master volume at 11
Use the graphic eq in the amp block to fine tune, add bass etc..
Everything else at default.

What cab are you using?

Post the preset too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom