How to make 1 guitar sound like 2?

If you're really serious about getting a double tracked sort of feel, try the TC Electronic Mimiq in the loop- makes the stereo image absolutely huge, and because it's in the loop, you can use it wherever you want- insert it before two amp blocks, each panned hard left and right, or pop it in after an amp block and before a stereo cab panned left, right, etc... I use one with my AF3, and it sounds wide as the Mississippi.

VERY interesting, hmmmmmmmmmm

Which way do you prefer...before 2 amp blocks or using 1 amp block then into mimiq into stereo cab? I would like to stick with one amp but if there is a significant difference in spread and size then I would go with two. Found a few used on ebay and thinking of grabbing one.
Thx!
I currently use it between the amp and the cab- but it really does depend on the preset- if you're using it in the loop, then you can easily place the loop wherever you'd like from preset to preset. I like between the cab and the amps- I send stereo straight to the sound system, and I don't necessarily want one side of the stereo field to have a really different tone than the other side, so I use one amp, run through the Mimiq, then into a cab block with the chosen IRs panned hard left and right- if you didn't mind one side sounding really different from the other side, you could use two different amp blocks, but it just isn't my preference.
Since we're on the topic of the Mimiq, I should put it out there that this is really only useful if you're sending stereo- the Mimiq isn't really useable if you're doing everything mono, and it might mess with your sound a bit with phasing stuff if you aren't sending stereo.

Thanks for the info Adman103!!

So my buddy let me borrow his this morning and just tried it. Doing the way you prefer as I do to by using only one amp block (Atomica High) then into mimiq and then into panned stereo cab using YA Zilla V30 on left and H30 creamback on right for IRs.

So..... The one thing I noticed immediately is the fact Im losing the low end from the tone. I can hear the wide spread as it definitely seems to be separating as intended but losing the chuggy meat of the preset.

Is there something possibly wrong that Im doing or should be looking at?

Thanks for the info Adman103!!

So my buddy let me borrow his this morning and just tried it. Doing the way you prefer as I do to by using only one amp block (Atomica High) then into mimiq and then into panned stereo cab using YA Zilla V30 on left and H30 creamback on right for IRs.

So..... The one thing I noticed immediately is the fact Im losing the low end from the tone. I can hear the wide spread as it definitely seems to be separating as intended but losing the chuggy meat of the preset.

Is there something possibly wrong that Im doing or should be looking at?

Maybe you could use a crossover block befor the fx loop. Send the lower freqs straight to the cab or another cab(could even be a mono cab to save processor), send the higher freqs to the Mimiq. this will help with low end loss. I would set the crossover point at about 110hz, then adjust to taste.

hmm, Ive never in all my years used that block....i pulled it up but not sure how to do what you just mentioned. I see the parameters Lo Levels L&R and Pans then the Freq which is where I assume to add 110hz then I see Hi Levels L&R and Pans.... but how do I assign the lower freqs to the cab and let the rest into the mimiq, trying to wrap my brain around this I dont see how.. Thanks for the help BTW

Depending on what you are playing but setting a delay at 500ms and playing the same note over the last works perfectly. You get the different nuances of the note being played differently and they hit at the same time. It can be tricky and will only work for some situations but it does sound exactly like two guitars.

My favourite trick for double-tracking effect is to use a Chorus block between an Amp block and a Cab block in Wet/Dry/Wet configuration. This is actually from Brian May's current chorus settings, and personally I find it the most natural double-tracking effect.
Attached is a sample Preset with my double-tracking effect, so give it a try if interested (make sure your unit has Ares 2.0 firmware. You can try Scene2 and 3, too).

Here's the details:
Connect the blocks as the screenshot below, set the Chorus/Amp effect type in stereo mode, and hard-pan the Cab's two channels against each other. This creates Wet/Dry/Wet configuration.
Then, set the Chorus block as the screenshot below. "Phase reverse" is the key ingredient: reversing one side significantly widens up the sound. To get more width, I recommend LFO Phase to "0.0 deg," Spread to "100%", and High/Low-pass filters in Tone page not engaged. Finally, adjust Depth and Delay Time to your taste. In my preset, Delay Time is set to my "sweet-spot" where maximum width is obtained and low frequencies are not canceled out.

1580057141256.png

Attachments

• Double Tracking Sample (Kyo Gt).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom