How to lower some of the interface audio?

chrisjnyc

Power User
For the longest time I have recorded into a Focusrite interface, but find using the the Axe III as my audio interface to be a lot quieter. The only issue is monitoring the output. I have the guitar in input 1\output 1, and the speakers connected to output 1, with a 2nd (dry) amp going to output 2. How do I lower the guitar volume going to the speaker without lowered the DAW volume. I could move my guitar use output 3, but then I would need to update every patch.

Still seems to lower the recorded audio on output 1

Maybe something changed, because I don't think it affected the SPDIF output when I borrowed an Axe III about a year ago. Looking at the manual again, it seems to claim two completely different things in consecutive paragraphs:

"GLOBAL SETTINGS: OUT 1 EQ & OUT 2 EQ PAGES

...These EQs affect ONLY the Analog outputs. AES/SPDIF/USB are not affected.

Output 1 Global EQ settings apply to all instances of the Output 1 mix signal, including the Output 1 balanced jacks, unbalanced jacks, headphones jack, and signal which might be routed to USB or digital outs."

Any other ideas on how to lowered the guitar audio without lowered the recorded audio?

I have started to record from output 2, with Output 1 levels set a lot lower (in a series with Output 2). Which throws a wrench into my two amps recorded at the same to different tracks options. Looking at re-amping options also...

fyi, the dry signal can be found in USB input 5. There's no need to use the AxeFX output 2 to record your DI. That's one of the advantages of using USB for your I/O.

As far as lowering the guitar level without affecting the computer audio, I'd suggest putting Output Level 1 on a global performance page. That gives you a physical knob on the front panel you can use to control the guitar level independently of the computer audio. You can also use the USB input level control to adjust the computer level independently of the guitar.

Last edited:
fyi, the dry signal can be found in USB input 5. There's no need to use the AxeFX output 2 to record your DI. That's one of the advantages of using USB for your I/O.

As far as lowering the guitar level without affecting the computer audio, I'd suggest putting Output Level 1 on a global performance page. That gives you a physical knob on the front panel you can use to control the guitar level independently of the computer audio. You can also use the USB input level control to adjust the computer level independently of the guitar.

I don't think this addresses what chrisjnyc is trying to do. It sounds like he's recording a dry (e.g. no additional effects) signal from a second amp block on Output 2, not an unprocessed DI.

Turning down the level in the Output 1 block will also reduce the recorded level from USB channels 1/2, which I believe OP is trying to avoid. Still, that sounds like it might be the best/only option for now.

I'd wait and see if FAS comments on those conflicting manual paragraphs. If it worked the first way (as it once did IIRC) then the global EQ gain would be a solution.

I don't think this addresses what chrisjnyc is trying to do. It sounds like he's recording a dry (e.g. no additional effects) signal from a second amp block on Output 2, not an unprocessed DI.

hmmm, maybe you're right. Do you think he's monitoring only the wet guitar? I wonder if he's recording one or both guitars? It's hard to say how best to proceed without knowing the answers to those questions or learning why he wants to turn the guitar down. But, yes, the Global EQ affects only the analog signal, but it only has 12dB of attenuation.

If he's trying to balance the guitar with the computer audio, probably the way to go is unix-guy's suggestion and control the computer audio, not the guitar audio.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay... I missed this one

At this point I have changed my recording patches a bit.. but I initially recorded 2 separate tracks at a time

Guitar into input 1, amp\cab, fx, verb, to output 1 (which is also where the studio monitors are connected)
Also, have a parallel path with the same amp\cab, but no fx going to output 2

I am not using a DI track, but am thinking to add this on some tracks.

As unix-guy mentioned above, you can adjust the level of the audio returning from your computer with the USB level control(s) on the I/O page. Use that to balance the audio level coming from your computer without mucking with the guitar level.

Last edited:
You can adjust the level of the audio returning from your computer with the USB level control(s) on the I/O page. Use that to balance the audio level coming from your computer without mucking with the guitar level.
I mentioned that early on... ;)

Why not just increase the daw output (master bus) temporarily? If it's lower than what's coming out of the axe there's probably enough headroom to do it

I mentioned that early on... ;)

I tired this, but its lowering all the audio coming out of the daw (drums, bass and keys). I need to bring down just the level of the guitar that is going thru the Axe, without bringing down the recorded level of the guitar.

Without knowing what you're trying to accomplish, it's hard to say how to solve your problem. But, assuming you're trying to balance the monitored guitar with the monitored computer audio, you can use the USB level control, as unix-guy suggested, to turn the computer audio up or down until it is balanced the way you want with the guitar audio. Then use the output knob to adjust the overall volume.

I think the best option is to just remove output 1 from Axe Edit and this way I can listen and record from output 2 in the DAW. I can turn the guitar way down if needed without turning the DAW down or have to turn the DAW mix way up to match the guitar volume

Back
Top Bottom