How To: Loading IR's using Sysex Librarian

Hi All,

I know that this is already covered to some degree in the Wiki, but while recently trying to answer, in greater detail, another forum member's question about how to load a custom IR into the Axe-Fx using Sysex Librarian, it occurred to me that in couldn't hurt to have some additional explanation available for those getting started in this process. In light of this, I thought it might be worth sharing that dialogue here to help others. If anyone sees anything here that I may have stated that is incorrect or could be explained in an easier way, please feel free to correct me or add to this explanation. Before going forward I'd like to stop and say "thank you" to all who who have helped me to understand the little bit that I do thus far and to everyone who has put so much time and energy into helping us all to make better use out of this excellent functionality in the Axe-Fx.

:arrow: Loading IR's is pretty straightforward with Sysex Librarian. If the IR's are alread in .syx format (not in raw .wav or .aiff or some other audio format), then the only trick is getting them to load in the User IR slot that you wish. Most are set up to load in User IR Slot 1. If the IR's are in an audio format, then they need to first be converted to .syx (using something like AlbertA's utility, available here http://guitarlogic.org/index.php?topic=6630.0).

To load an IR is .syx format, simply open it in Sysex Librarian, as you would with any other file (firmware, etc). Highlight the file, and press play. You do not need to do anything at the Axe-Fx end ahead of time to prepare it for the data like you do with firmware. It should automatically load to the appropriate place (directions for where to load are embedded in the sysex code of the file). These files are very small in comparison to something like a firmware update, so the data transfers very quickly. On a related note, for those experiencing transfer difficulties with Sysex Librarian, try setting the transfer speed to 25%.

In order to choose where a User IR loads, you'll need to change the 7th bit in the IR sysex code with a Hex Editor. This sounds complicated, but is in fact very quick and simple (you highlight two numbers... say 00, and change them to another two numbers... say, 01), then save the file. Basically, when you view the IR in a hexidecimal editor, you will see a very long string of two digit numbers. Each of these two digit numbers represents one bit of information. To explain this further, each bit is comprised of two digits (01, A0, etc) and there is a space between each bit (01 00 A0 D2, etc). The 7th one (after a bit that is always A0) is the one you'll need to edit. This bit tells the Axe-Fx which User IR Slot to load the IR in. The number system here follows a zero based counting system so IR Slot 1 = 00, Slot 2=01, Slot 3, = 02, etc.

I use HexEdit to do this (free download from the web), but I was told that you can use Sysex Librarian (someone said that you should press either Command I or Control I, I can't remember which, to bring up the editing function). With HexEdit, be sure to highlight the bit you are editing, rather than simply move the cursor to the spot before the bit and type, as you may accidentally insert an extra bit into the string and shift everything over one slot. It is wise to take a mental picture of the bits starting the next couple of lines of code and confirm that nothing moved at the end of the edit, and that only the 7th bit changed. As mentioned, this info is also briefly explained in the Wiki, which makes a great reference for coming back to.

Keep in mind that this procedure is for normal sized IR's (not the 1024 IR's talked about in the forum, which are double sized and use two IR slots which need to be used together to form the whole IR). To use these higher resolution IR's, the procedure for loading them into the Axe-Fx is the same, but there are additional instructions for properly connecting each half of thew 1024 IR together in your presets that will need to be followed to put them to use (see the information explaining this the forum here http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=255). Also, another point to be aware of is that Clawfinger's IR's (which are very popular due to their excellent quality) are also normalized differently in their creation process, so are about 6dB louder than the stock IR's. When working with these, you can simply turn the cab level down 6dB to make these the same level as the stock cabs if you want to be consistent or combine with stock IR's for your presets.

Hope this helps!
-Matt

Back
Top Bottom