How to know the percentage of the Output Levels on front?

My band uses this to keep consistent input levels to our in-ears.

We dial in with specific values at rehearsal and use the same ones live.
You're mixing your in-ears by adjusting levels on individual equipment? I feel for you, brother.

You obviously see the benefit of repeatability and accuracy, so what could be more repeatable and accurate than an exact value? I mean, one can make the "it's worked fine for 70 years" argument about many solutions provided in the box - doesn't make them bad ;)
But "it's worked fine for 70 years" is only part of the message. The full message is, "It's worked fine for 70 years, the new method adds complexity and takes more time, and I don't see that it adds any value."

I keep my FOH feed at noon. That adds exactly one second to my load-in time. No menu diving, no reading numbers. And consistent? There's a venue that hasn't touched my board channel in years.

A knob position can visually appear different depending on viewing angle, etc...
True, but we guitarists figured out parallax long ago. :)

Granted this assumes presets are not getting tweaked, etc...
That's not how my world works. :p

Bottom line: when I parallel-park my car, I don't need to know that I would have done a more perfect job if my car was half an inch farther forward, because it makes no practical difference. And numeric display of the Output knob values is already there for those who just have to know a number. Try it, and see how long it takes to dial in a desired number.

Gonna quickly beg for a rack mountable unit loaded with fully assignable rotary encoders w/scribble strips. ..and beer tap.

We've already mixed the in-ears. Sending the exact same levels as when we mixed (at rehearsal) means one less thing to deal with when we get to the gig. ;)
If you don't have to adjust your ear mix for different venues (e.g., different drum location or proximity), that's great. Still, it's achievable with a piece of tape and a tick mark, to within the human ear's ability to discriminate.

I didn't say, "Abandon the request." I said, "I don't get it." I still don't.
I'm with you on this one, finding a position of the knob that's easily, accurately repeatable really isn't that difficult. Becoming much ado about nothing. Not that the request is invalid, just seems like people are blowing the "need" way out of proportion.

I don’t get it. People have been playing live electric guitar for 70 years. Turning a knob to a favorite position has been the method of choice. It’s wonderfully repeatable, unbeatably fast, and as precise as you’ll ever need. What’s the benefit of “I always run my output knob at exactly 73%, and I need to know if I screwed up and set it to 72%.”?
First this is a digital unit that does anything, so the request is definitely doable. Second you are right with old tube amps and knobs, but the typically had some markers across the circular path telling you where you are.....Axe Fx III has nothing. Part of having digital is so you can get detailed and get super repeatable. This feature is missing and I would love for them to implement.

Side note....long given up on inverse color for screens in FC's, but I digress.

To clarify, those who want this feature have been having a tough time keeping output consistent?

A use case for repeatable OUT 1 value, and an annecdote in support of viewing numerical values...

I play in a DIY duo (keys, guitar, vocals against backing tracks) occasionally playing small-time events like parties or small rooms where it's always our own PA. DIY means... no FOH engineer or even anyone to listen to us at a gig and yell "your mix sucks!"

We've therefore invested a lot of time 'pre-mixing' our repertoire using critique recordings, adding MIDI gain automation, and performing virtual sound checks with the PA (record/listen/adjust/repeat). We do a virtual sound check before a gig for any site-specific EQ adjustments, where we walk around the area listening to a previously captured multitrack recording of ourselves, making sure it matches what we expect. Once playing we can thus be reasonably confident that the mix is as good as can be expected without someone actively running FOH.

For this to work, we have to make sure every gain stage is set as it was when we implemented all our pre-mixing & automation.

So for me it is important to have OUT 1 set to the same value for every gig, and the tape mark (in post 4) does that job accurately enough.

The numerical OUT 1 value became useful when I decided to increase a downstream mixer stage gain for guitar by +3dB, and wanted to reduce the Axe output by a corresponding -3dB to maintain the same overall relative band mix. I determined 11% delta translates to about 3dB in this range of OUT 1 knob travel (see post). Thus it was easy to back OUT 1 from a previous (and arbitrary) 84% to new 73% for the -3dB cut, without having to repeat hours of re-mixing to dial it back in. The 73% annotation on my post 4 is just to remember that number in case I ever want to verify it in Utilities. I don't care about or need 1% precision, but that doesn't reduce the usefulness of numeric values.

(I do wish OUT 1 expressed relative dB, e.g. maybe 0dB at max, to make adjustments like this easier.)

I do this on my FM3 as well. Running 4CM I have the levels set exactly and I want that exactly when I move from rehearsal room to stage, or every rehearsal after using the FM3 at home with modeling for silent practice.

I really love this ability, but Yes it's a couple button presses and would love to have the digital readout on the performance page.

Last edited:
A quick onscreen pop up window that shows for a couple seconds anytime the output knobs are moved would be a great way to handle this. Wouldn't take up any screen real estate anywhere else and would always be available on any screen. Just give the knob a quick wiggle to make the pop up show up and verify it's value.

If you don't have to adjust your ear mix for different venues (e.g., different drum location or proximity), that's great. Still, it's achievable with a piece of tape and a tick mark, to within the human ear's ability to discriminate.
Correct. We are a 100% direct band with a silent stage...

Many things can be done the old school way. That doesn't mean there's not a better or different way. Case in point, the Axe Fx ;)

All our in-ear mixes and FOH mix has been dialled in at rehearsal, we operate without a sound guy, so if I mess up my send level, I mess up everybody's mix.
Exactly this!

On a related note, I have a CC coming in from a slider on my keyboard and attached to the Axefx's "Output 1 Volume" in Setup/MidiRemote/Other. Works great for a quick and easy volume control in slider format, HOWEVER, I've found no place in Axefx (visual or physical) where I can see how this volume is currently set (maybe its there and I missed it?) - got caught really scratching my head a few times with no sound from Axefx but no output levels are turned down anywhere from looking at fp or AE (forgot I had turned it down with keyboard slider).

On a related note, I have a CC coming in from a slider on my keyboard and attached to the Axefx's "Output 1 Volume" in Setup/MidiRemote/Other. Works great for a quick and easy volume control in slider format, HOWEVER, I've found no place in Axefx (visual or physical) where I can see how this volume is currently set (maybe its there and I missed it?) - got caught really scratching my head a few times with no sound from Axefx but no output levels are turned down anywhere from looking at fp or AE (forgot I had turned it down with keyboard slider).
Can you configure the Global Performance Page to include Output 1 Level? Mine is configured to show that, though I attached a controller directly to the Level control in the Out 1 block rather than use the Setup/MidiRemote/Other option; not sure if these two methods are equivalent.

Can you configure the Global Performance Page to include Output 1 Level? Mine is configured to show that, though I attached a controller directly to the Level control in the Out 1 block rather than use the Setup/MidiRemote/Other option; not sure if these two methods are equivalent.
Output1 Level can be added to the performance page, but, if there's a CC attached to it in the setup/midi/other page, changes resulting from CCs will not be reflected in the displayed value either on the perform page if you have it there, or directly in the output block. I don't have an issue with it really - more of a heads up that, if you put a CC on there (in setup/midi/other) and it gets turned down unnoticed, you have no way to see that it is turned down by looking at any value in the Front Panel or AxeEdit menus as far as I can see - betcha some of the past "omg! - no sound from my Axefx" posts might have been caused by this.

Last edited:
...I do not paint the names of my kids on their foreheads - This is ugly to look at.
Fortunately, children can be quickly identified without labels. If it were not so, I would forego paint in favor of a tattoo. :p:cool:

Back
Top Bottom