How to know the percentage of the Output Levels on front?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Live I must know where I am at, and not just a guesstimation. Most times like I think I had it at roughly 11:30 before break???? This should be selectable to show a percentage on screen, if this in fact not already doable.

Live I must know where I am at, and not just a guesstimation. Most times like I think I had it at roughly 11:30 before break???? This should be selectable to show a percentage on screen, if this in fact not already doable.
THE UTILITIES MENU
UTILITY: ADC LEVELS
Shows Analog-to-Digital Converter levels for the four front panel Level knobs and rear panel Expression jacks for
troubleshooting. You can set the output level here at an exact percentage.

THE UTILITIES MENU
UTILITY: ADC LEVELS
Shows Analog-to-Digital Converter levels for the four front panel Level knobs and rear panel Expression jacks for
troubleshooting. You can set the output level here at an exact percentage.
Thank you. But do you have to go to this every time, or can you set it to main screen somewhere always?

Is that not what the output knob is already showing via the white marker in the pic posted?

I get it and this kind of works. But this def should be added. Who would not want that?
I don't disagree with you at all... But I've found that even moving things like this to the Performance Page (if you could) still shows numeric values in text too small for my eyes for a check during a gig, so I resort to primitive methods.

Yes, I would also love to have the percentage show up on the main screen. It would be enough if it only showed up while adjusting the knob.
Yes. It could even take over the screen while the knobs are being turned.

It would be nice if there was a setting to lock the output levels, but since the output controls seem to be pots and not encoders that might not be possible. Using gaffer’s tape over the knob would be the low-tech solution.

Last edited:
I solve this repeatability issue by having the output knob to FOH set at 100%. Haven't come across a mixer yet that couldn't handle it. And you could always change the output setting of that output to -10 dBV if you need it a bit lower.

However. I agree. It would be cool if it could be in the 'Performance' screen, or all four output knob positions could just temporarily pop up on the screen when one is adjusted.

I solve this repeatability issue by having the output knob to FOH set at 100%. Haven't come across a mixer yet that couldn't handle it. And you could always change the output setting of that output to -10 dBV if you need it a bit lower.

However. I agree. It would be cool if it could be in the 'Performance' screen, or all four output knob positions could just temporarily pop up on the screen when one is adjusted.
I used to do that, but then you actually lose headroom. I used to run at 100% and -10 dBV, but then some of my acoustic sim patches would clip the output. Now I'm back at +4dBu with Out 1 knob at 60%. It gives me roughly the same output, but I have no clipping issues anymore.

Edit: here is my post where I prove the statement above https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...out-levels-iii-fm3.168584/page-2#post-2026199

Not strictly necessary, but would be nice to see output levels on a main screen. For my Sunday gig, I have to check it Sunday morning to make sure the knob didn’t get bumped in transport after Thursday rehearsal.

Im still trying to wrap my head around how seeing a percentage on the screen differs from looking at the output knob? Set to noon/max and make sure its there next gig?

This is actually a good suggestion. For us live players, it’s a big deal.
I don’t get it. People have been playing live electric guitar for 70 years. Turning a knob to a favorite position has been the method of choice. It’s wonderfully repeatable, unbeatably fast, and as precise as you’ll ever need. What’s the benefit of “I always run my output knob at exactly 73%, and I need to know if I screwed up and set it to 72%.”?

It's only repeatable of you choose to paint on your AxeFX. I prefer not to.

Damn, how'd I do it without painting on my JCM800 then lol.

Noon or dimed are very easy to pinpoint. If they arent, painters tape is available at many stores and you'd need a very small piece to get the job done.

Cue recto owners hahaha

I don’t get it. People have been playing live electric guitar for 70 years. Turning a knob to a favorite position has been the method of choice. It’s wonderfully repeatable, unbeatably fast, and as precise as you’ll ever need. What’s the benefit of “I always run my output knob at exactly 73%, and I need to know if I screwed up and set it to 72%.”?
My band uses this to keep consistent input levels to our in-ears.

We dial in with specific values at rehearsal and use the same ones live.

It makes everything else much less fiddly...

You obviously see the benefit of repeatability and accuracy, so what could be more repeatable and accurate than an exact value?

A knob position can visually appear different depending on viewing angle, etc...

Take 3 Axe Fx units (like our case) and all off by 1-2% in either direction and it adds up.

Granted this assumes presets are not getting tweaked, etc... And it is definitely a first world problem, but it still can be quite useful.

I mean, one can make the "it's worked fine for 70 years" argument about many solutions provided in the box - doesn't make them bad ;)

When it comes to level setting in particular, I like to have very accurate metering to keeps things predictable and consistent, and I very much appreciate the request. And while it shouldn't need saying, one person not needing the precision and accuracy is hardly cause for another person to abandon their feature request. And @Tremonti, thanks for bringing it up.

As it's handy to have the tuner visible whether it's fully accessed or not, so too do I see utility in being able to have levels available to me in a similar manner.

Back
Top Bottom