How to keep guitar from sliding?

jma

Inspired
I am looking for a non-slip material that will help keep guitars from sliding off my lap. I am very concerned about not damaging the finish so I am hesitant to try anything unless someone has already used it and can confirm it will not damage the finish. I have several guitars with a nitrocellulose finish which is notorious for staining easily.

Defo a guitar strap. Get one that is easy to adjust so you can shorten it for when you are sitting, and easily lengthen it when you are standing.

I have rotator cuff tendonitis and bursitis so that may not work for me but I'll try it when I get home.

Foam rubber trousers can be practical and inspirational .... and not just where guitar playing is concerned.

Nah .... a simple old guitar strap set up for sitting down position is the way to go.

I'm just in the last stages of recovering from left shoulder tendonitis and I didn't even pick up a guitar for about 6 or 7 weeks so it may be an idea to just try and get the body right first instead of aggravating your injury.

I have rotator cuff tendonitis and bursitis so that may not work for me but I'll try it when I get home.

You might want to look for a very wide strap then that spreads the load rather than a thin one that will potentially hurt you a bit more. That said, I am fortunate to not have those injuries (yet) so I am not speaking from any experience.

Is it a flying V by any chance?

If so allow the inner part if the V to rest on your right leg.

Puts the guitar in almost a classical type position.

Nitro guitars are tough to keep looking perfect, that's why you easily get the working-guitar look on them within a year of use. But yes, if you want to keep them pristine it's a challenge. Scratches happen so easily.

I've been using these for at least 10 years. They are wide and cushioning, and don't slip.

http://comfortstrapp.com/

Otherwise, there are numerous options for interesting dual (and other) straps that relieve or move the pressure from the shoulder.

Wide leather straps (2.5 - 3) is what I prefer to use. They are comfortable and keep guitars from slipping. I set them up so that the guitar is at the same height whether I am sitting or standing.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm intrigued by the harness straps. I'll follow up when I find something that works for me.

Back
Top Bottom