How to increase attack of an amp model

MrCrossroads83

Experienced
What is the best way to increase the amp models attack? I am really impressed by Austin Buddys preset of the Dumble ODS 100 clean channel and have already tweaked it a bit but wanna know how to achieve that immediate attack and punch with a low end that punches like a kickdrum.
For example like John Mayers PRS J Mod amplifier (what an expansive amp... My wife would definetly kill me... 🤭 😀) that has that kind of punch.

1. A compressor with a slow attack and fast/medium release will do that bass drum thing. (Compressor block - studio or optical) I like to set the compressor so its a bit overcooked, and then blend just some (50%-75%) of it in parallel (mix). This is a good way to go as the effect varies according to the level of the signal from the pickups, and it's easier to readjust the mix, rather than revisiting the threshold or ratio settings. Compressor before the amp or between amp and cab both give useful results.
2. Turn off Speaker Compression and maybe lower Speaker time constant (amp block - speaker drive) will give a little more bite.
3. You might also mess with the Output compressor (amp block - dynamics) to see if that can do something that suits your fancy.

Last edited:
Hopefully, FAS team will be porting over the Horizon Precision Drive to the FM3. If that happens, it's got attack for days! I just sold my III and was deeply saddened when I didn't see the Precision Drive :(

Back
Top Bottom