how to hook Suhr Reactive Load up to axe fx?

Just got an axe fx iii and I'm trying to hook up my Suhr RL into it so I can also play my tube amps through it. I have the Suhr connected to input 3 routed like this:
1618085972768.png

I have my guitar plugged into the input of the amp which is plugged into the Suhr which is connected to input 3 L on the Axe Fx. Not getting any sound though. Is there way to do it like this, am I just getting something slightly wrong, or do I have just this completely setup wrong?

Not getting sound where? You're sending to Output 2... Do you have the Output 2 knob turned up? What's connected to Output 2?

You might also want to try 4CM... Check the manual for connection setup.

No sound out of my monitor speakers. Yeah I have output 2 turned up. Tried it like this into output 1 as well with no sound:
1618089385697.png

Output 1 definitely works when I'm just using the amp models in the Axe

On the front panel, go into the Grid and page over to the Meters view. You should be able to see if the levels are stopping somewhere before the Output.

I run my tube amp / reactive load setup like this:

Guitar > Axe-Fx input 1 > out 3 > amp input > amp speaker out to Fryette Power Load > Power Load output > Axe-Fx input 3 L > out 1 > Monitors

I have the input 3 set for mono input mode and I keep output 3 turned up to maximum.

Ok got sound now, I had the cab block set to stereo with with just the right cab turned on(the suhr is connected to the left input of input 3).

Although it sounds really brittle and more fizzy then it should. Doesn't sound like a raw amp signal though I don't think, pretty sure it's using the IR in the cab block, but something definitely doesn't sound right.

Make sure that you’re aren’t running an IR on the Suhr as well. An IR into another IR doesn’t usually sound good.

@OrganicZed Same as me but I also have i/o 4 going to my amp fx loop, using the Waza TAE as load.
I don't know why I bother though, since post amp fx in stereo sound nicer.

Ok got sound now, I had the cab block set to stereo with with just the right cab turned on(the suhr is connected to the left input of input 3).

Although it sounds really brittle and more fizzy then it should. Doesn't sound like a raw amp signal though I don't think, pretty sure it's using the IR in the cab block, but something definitely doesn't sound right.
Are you monitoring it fairly quietly or sitting near the amp and RL? I know it sounds strange, but the amp’s output transformer and the load box will make a buzzy sound that follows your playing when you have the amp cranked. You just normally don’t hear it if you’re playing with any volume.

Are you monitoring it fairly quietly or sitting near the amp and RL? I know it sounds strange, but the amp’s output transformer and the load box will make a buzzy sound that follows your playing when you have the amp cranked. You just normally don’t hear it if you’re playing with any volume.
Don't think it's that. I used to have the Suhr connected through a focusrite interface and it sounded good.

Do you have the "air" parameter in the cab block turned up? From my understanding, that allows direct pass through of unprocessed signal in parallel with the IR processed signal. Can you post your preset so that we can have a full look at the parameters you've got going?

Do you have the "air" parameter in the cab block turned up? From my understanding, that allows direct pass through of unprocessed signal in parallel with the IR processed signal. Can you post your preset so that we can have a full look at the parameters you've got going?
I don't think the air parameter is turned up. Also thanks for helping me out with this.

Attachments

• suhr rl_20210411_185808.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
I don’t like putting more than one instance of AD/DA conversion in the chain so when I use my Suhr Reactive Load, it looks like this:

Guitar -> pedalboard -> tube amp -> Suhr RL -> Axe Input 4

[Grid]
Input 4 -> effects...
... -> Output 1 (FoH)
... -> Output 2 (Monitors)
... -> Cab block -> Output 3 (SS poweramp and cab)
[/Grid]

I always place the Cab block right before Output 1 and 2, so it’s easy to bypass the Cab block with Output 3.

If I did want to use the Axe-Fx for pre effects, I’d route it like this:

Guitar -> Axe Input 1

[Grid]
Input 1 -> effects -> Output 4
[/Grid]

Axe Output 4 -> tube amp -> Suhr RL -> Axe Input 4

[Grid]
Input 4 -> post effects...
... -> Output 1 (FoH)
... -> Output 2 (Monitors)
... -> Cab block -> Output 3 (SS poweramp and cab)
[/Grid]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom