How to hook Axe-Fx III up to computer to act as recording interface?

csacwp

What type of cable do I need to hook up my FX III to my computer to record tracks and to practice along with jam tracks/youtube?

I see the owners manual, but I have no idea what type of cable I need. I've never seen a port like the one on the back of the FX III.

Not everyone is up to speed on everything digital or computer related. It appears the OP knows it's a USB port, just not familiar with the particular style on the Axe-Fx III. It also seems they're just clarifying what they need before buying or trying something. Not knowing their background or experience level makes it hard for me to criticize or feel the need to point out the "obvious". Sometimes what's common sense to us is new information for someone else.

I may be mistaken because I'm not able to find it at the moment, but I thought there was a thread a few months ago about being patient with new users. Let's cut the "new here" people some slack. If you are weary of answering obvious questions, simply click the back button and let someone else help. There's a lot of experienced users here that are able to answer the question.

Not everyone is up to speed on everything digital or computer related. It appears the OP knows it's a USB port, just not familiar with the particular style on the Axe-Fx III. It also seems they're just clarifying what they need before buying or trying something. Not knowing their background or experience level makes it hard for me to criticize or feel the need to point out the "obvious". Sometimes what's common sense to us is new information for someone else.

I may be mistaken because I'm not able to find it at the moment, but I thought there was a thread a few months ago about being patient with new users. Let's cut the "new here" people some slack. If you are weary of answering obvious questions, simply click the back button and let someone else help. There's a lot of experienced users here that are able to answer the question.
He was very vague in both posts and never once mentioned the term USB. I stand by what I said. Sometimes I speak firmly here.

Here’s my thread that you were looking for: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...stomers-and-reminder-to-us-old-timers.150614/

If your able to post a message from a computer or mobile device onto an internet message board I’d think you’d have come across a USB port/cable before.....

I mean, yeah it’s possible your accessing the web via a dial-up modem and your PC still has only serial ports and you’ve never come USB yet.... but seems a little unlikely then you’d be in the market for a flagship guitar modeler?

The type of USB is not named in the manual. Just says USB. I can see someone older or younger being confused. I think 35 is the right age to know every USB cable. All my printers are WiFi network printers so someone younger might not have ever seen the cable to know the USB type.

The type is USB B to A and have some spares ready. Sometimes cheaper ones won't let the axe update properly. I have a 15 foot and 25 foot cable. Past 15' you run risks of bad connection but I've been fine with my 25 footer.

I mean, yeah it’s possible your accessing the web via a dial-up modem and your PC still has only serial ports and you’ve never come USB yet.... but seems a little unlikely then you’d be in the market for a flagship guitar modeler?
If he's got a computer that old, the Axe won't work on it any way.

If your able to post a message from a computer or mobile device onto an internet message board I’d think you’d have come across a USB port/cable before.....

I don't know a single modern motherboard or PC with a USB type B female port like on the Axe Fx or printers. The only things besides printers I commonly see them on are audio interfaces. People today commonly run into whatever cables come with cellphones. USB type C and micro USB on the devices and USB type A on the computers.

Yeah, the Type B connector seems relegated to printers, mostly. If you never had a printer, you might not recognize it. I went from the late '90s to about 2014 without a printer, as I could print what little I needed to using the printers at work....

I suppose it’s totally possible there are people who don’t know what a USB port is, just like people may not know a VHS tape, vacuum tube etc....

That said, I think the percent of people who don’t know what a USB port is AND that buy a $2500 guitar processor is pretty small.

On top of that, if your asking about how to record digital audio on the computer with the Axe, then your no doubt familiar with computers, audio interfaces etc one would assume...

As such, not knowing a USB cable, with regards to high end modeling gear and digital audio, is rather curious.

If one doesn’t know, they don’t know, and now they do, so hey, it happens...... simply kind of rare is all

I don't see anywhere that the OP didn't know what a USB port is, just that they did not recognize the type of port on the Axe. For some reason it seems that blowing things out of proportion or to an extreme is the norm.

I don't see anywhere that the OP didn't know what a USB port is, just that they did not recognize the type of port on the Axe. For some reason it seems that blowing things out of proportion or to an extreme is the norm.
What type of cable do I need to hook up my FX III to my computer to record tracks and to practice along with jam tracks/youtube?
I see the owners manual, but I have no idea what type of cable I need. I've never seen a port like the one on the back of the FX III.
“No idea what type of cable” on his last post. USB is the type.

If he just typed a little more information like “I see it’s USB, but I don’t know what kind it is” or similar, we could help easier.

Until then, we’re guessing what he knows, and we supplied him with the type of cable, per his words.

Back
Top Bottom