How to have option to bypass or enable subwoofer?

Currently my Axe Fx II XL+ is connected to my PC VIA USB and set up as follows:

Axe Fx Output > Subwoofer Input > Subwoofer Output> Monitors Input

The issue is that right now I'm not getting any subwoofer sound, just sound from my monitors. This is good for when playing guitar, but when I want to listen to music or play games on my PC, I want my subwoofer active. Is there an easy way to toggle/bypass the subwoofer? I'm using a set of Focal Alpha 50 monitors and a Yahama HS8S sub.

Last edited:
Check with Yamaha, I'd say. It has nothing to do with the Axe-Fx, right?

Check with Yamaha, I'd say. It has nothing to do with the Axe-Fx, right?
It does, the subwoofer works fine when connected the same way but replacing the Axe Fx II with my JDS Element II headphone DAC/Amp. This is definitely something to do with the Axe Fx.

Axe Fx II Ultra+
No such beast. The Ultra predates the Axe Fx II. I also don't recall ever hearing of an "Ultra+" but since I started with Axe Fx II maybe I'm just not aware.

In any case, how would the Axe Fx have any bearing on this? There's no sub-woofer settings, controls, etc on the Axe Fx.

Maybe there's some sort of signal the sub-woofer detects (or doesn't) that controls it?

No such beast. The Ultra predates the Axe Fx II. I also don't recall ever hearing of an "Ultra+" but since I started with Axe Fx II maybe I'm just not aware.

In any case, how would the Axe Fx have any bearing on this? There's no sub-woofer settings, controls, etc on the Axe Fx.

Maybe there's some sort of signal the sub-woofer detects (or doesn't) that controls it?
Yeah my bad, I meant the XL+. No idea, I just know I have it set up exactly as I described, and now I have no volume from my subwoofer. Looking for any ideas on how I might fix it. I plugged back into my headphones amp/dac and it works fine as before, so it's definitely something with the Axe.

Do you have the low end cut in your Axe-Fx II 'Global EQ'?
Where is this found exactly? Sorry, pretty new to this. I factory reset the unit before using it and haven't changed any EQ, so I doubt it.

If it's under Global > Out 1, then no, it's all at 0.

If configured correctly, the computer USB audio should be entering the Axe-Fx after the preset grid. So the only thing that could affect it's sound would be the Global EQ of whatever Output you are using.

There is no other way that the Fractal could manipulate the sub-woofer's actual output?

If configured correctly, the computer USB audio should be entering the Axe-Fx after the preset grid. So the only thing that could affect it's sound would be the Global EQ of whatever Output you are using.

There is no other way that the Fractal could manipulate the sub-woofer's actual output?
Yeah it's strange. I put my ears up to the sub and absolutely nothing, it's like it is being completely bypassed.

What type, and how exactly do you have the cables connected for the two devices?

And the switches and knobs on the Sub and monitors?

What type and how exactly do you have the cables connected for the two devices?

And the switches and knobs on the Sub and monitors?
Ha, I'm so glad you prompted me to check the dials. I guess somehow during moving all the cables around I knocked the sub volume down to zero... whoops. I guess my question now would be is there a way to bypass the sub when I'm playing guitar, then enable it again when I'm listening to music or gaming on my PC? Obviously I could lean down and turn the dial every time, but that's not ideal.

Ha, I'm so glad you prompted me to check the dials. I guess somehow during moving all the cables around I knocked the sub volume down to zero... whoops. I guess my question now would be is there a way to bypass the sub when I'm playing guitar, then enable it again when I'm listening to music or gaming on my PC? Obviously I could lean down and turn the dial every time, but that's not ideal.
But you said you plugged it back into your headphone amp and it worked... That's confusing :)

Back
Top Bottom