How To Go Direct Into Church PA

I am brand new to this forum & hope to be the first to get an AxeFx 11 with the MFC-101 in the Cincinnati Ohio area. I play in a church worship band & only have one input into the PA. If I go out of the AxeFX11 via the XLR out will I need a DI? Is the left XLR output a summed mono signal? I do not use any on stage monitor. We have an Aviom system that I am able to dial in my own mix. Also, does a CatV cable & USB cable come with these units? If not any recommedations.

just send the xlr to the input of the sound board, set your gain and eq to taste. It's what I do and it sounds killer!

Correct me if I am wrong.

You should be able to connect directory into the system via XLR. You will no longer need a DI.

If you use the XLR's no DI is needed. FWIW - this has not changed from the Std/Ultra capability, and is not Axe-II specific.

Thanks guys, I didn't know since the output is still line level. Do you need to pad the input on the mixing board? Or are you good to go straight in?

XLR outs are NOT line level. Should work just like any other mic connection.

XLR outputs ARE line level and should not be input to a mic strip unless that strip has a pad or line-level switch.

I do this at my Church - just run the 1/4" out from Output 1 into the input a preamp in back that feeds the snake. If your Church uses a snake and no preamp input from the stage, then they will need to put you into a line level input (and you use your XLR output in that case).

If all they have is a mic channel input for you, you can use a DI to pad your signal down to the snake.

I have my patches set up as stereo, but run just the left out to the board. Works fine.

wow, i think i've been misunderstanding this set up the whole time now! i typically go straight out of my axe xlr into a xlr input on the back of my k10. should i have a DI in between?

Thanks Cliff & Scott. I suspected that I would need a DI still as all I have is an XLR on stage. I just now read in the manual that I can configure the output to mono. Also, thanks Scott for all of your great posts. I have been reading / listening a lot. I really appreciate all of the effort you put into this. You are extremly talented & I value your opinion on this forum greatly. As a side note, I ordered the two part magnetic stickers upon your favorable review. You have the grunge metal. I ordered the space labels. Thanks again you are the best.

I send output 1 to the house and output 2 for monitoring. That way I can adjust output 2 at any time without changing anything for others.

wow, i think i've been misunderstanding this set up the whole time now! i typically go straight out of my axe xlr into a xlr input on the back of my k10. should i have a DI in between?

No, you don't need a DI between the AxeFX and the K10.

The K10 has two inputs, "A" and "B". "A" can accept either mic or line level signals, and there is a switch beside it that needs to match what you are connecting. "B" only accepts line level signals. You can plug the AxeFX into "B" and you're set (no fuss). You can also use "A", just be sure to set the level switch (mic/line) to "line".

Terry.

If I go from the ii to the snake via a di will I still have to have a pad on the di to attenuate the signal or is it cool since I'm going line via the 1/4 on the ii??

Ps our churn snake does have line & mic inputs but it's to far of a run for my length of 1/4...... Easier to run an xlr to snake.

If I go from the ii to the snake via a di will I still have to have a pad on the di to attenuate the signal or is it cool since I'm going line via the 1/4 on the ii??

Ps our churn snake does have line & mic inputs but it's to far of a run for my length of 1/4...... Easier to run an xlr to snake.

I ran the Axe-2 output 1 XLR direct to the snake XLR yesterday; no DI or padding necessary.

If the board has a pad on it the should use that to pad. Our board doesn't have a pad but switchable 1/4" line ins. I use an XLR to 1/4" balanced cable on the board side.

And I guess the reason I [assumed] that the XLR outs were not line level is that my bands board has switchable mic/line inputs, as does church board. Haven't checked how soundguys set them up, but assume they adjust trim/gain accordingly. I connect XLR L/R into 2 channels on snake and that's it. No DI's.

I ran the Axe-2 output 1 XLR direct to the snake XLR yesterday; no DI or padding necessary.

Did they pad ur signal at the board or it wasn't needed? Our board doesn't have a pad but it does have mic or line inputs. Also our snake has chan 1-24 xlr, 25-28 1/4.

I know this is noobish just trying to set it up prior to the launch.

Back
Top Bottom