How to get warm round high end

Keith Loch

Hello all, I had this problem with my AXE FX XL+, but it seems to be worse with my new 3, which I just bought new last moth. The more I turn it up the harsher the high end gets. I know about the fletcher munson curve and all that. Never had this problem with anything else I have ever owned from ADA-MP1, JMP1, Rocktron Prophesy or Digitech 2101 thru 2120. Yes, allways been a rack gear guy. No matter what I do, with any amp mode, the highs are just too harsh and sharp. By comparison, I have an old Johnson Millennium that I use for small gigs and I am able to get a real nice warm round sound when soloing.

So far I have tried it direct through the PA, also tried with the FRFR Oraginc Timbre speakers and have also tried it turning off the cab sims and used my Mesa Recto with V30s and list night gigged with a Marshall 2/12 with GT12-75s. I have cut back 8k and above on the global eq and last night had do really dial back the high, "super high -forgot what this is really called" and the presence to 2 on the amp models. I also have para eq blocking the hights after the amp block. I just cannot seem to figure out how to get a rounder warm high end creamy lead sound. It is just so bright, harsh. I have not tired an eq or para eq in front of the amp block but will be doing that later today. Maybe that is the trick.

Yes I know the terms, harsh, bright, warm round, etc are all subjective. Thanks advance for the tips.

Got a tone example of what your looking for ? Clean ? Hi-Gain ? ....

"warm & round' mean different things to different 'ears' !

Then turn the highs down even more. EQ is EQ. If there’s too much highs, cut them. Are you limiting yourself to how much you reduce the high cut?

I just got my axe 3, and so far I've only tweaked presets a tiny amount. None of them are what I'd term overly bright.

Start with cab sims first, eq second.
What are you using for speakers? Direct to pa or a FRFR cab?
Got a tone example of what your looking for ? Clean ? Hi-Gain ? ....

"warm & round' mean different things to different 'ears' !
Yes they are. Perhaps I need to provide sound clips. I have carprel tunnel so I play with a very light touch. I typically use the 5153 blue or the Splawn Qrod with gain around 4 or 5.

Then turn the highs down even more. EQ is EQ. If there’s too much highs, cut them. Are you limiting yourself to how much you reduce the high cut?
I have the highs cut way way back along with the presence. Global eq with a massive cuts from 8k up.

I have the highs cut way way back along with the presence. Global eq with a massive cuts from 8k up.
I’d leave the Global alone and try to solve this at the preset level for now.

There is a High Cut parameter in the cab block when going full range. Reduce this all the way. Is there still too much high end? Add some back a bit at a time till it sounds good. Repeat for all Presets you use.

Chris, I have seen you make many comments to users since I have been on this form, so I assume you know a thing or 2 about the Axe. We all need treble, I am not trying to get rid of it, I am trying to smooth and round it. I have carpel tunnel so I play with a very light touch. I can't really dig into the strings, just don't have the finger strenght to make the highs round out through pressure, it that makes any sense?

Yes they are. Perhaps I need to provide sound clips. I have carprel tunnel so I play with a very light touch. I typically use the 5153 blue or the Splawn Qrod with gain around 4 or 5.
None of that gives an example of what you are trying to achieve...

Chris, I have seen you make many comments to users since I have been on this form, so I assume you know a thing or 2 about the Axe. We all need treble, I am not trying to get rid of it, I am trying to smooth and round it. I have carpel tunnel so I play with a very light touch. I can't really dig into the strings, just don't have the finger strenght to make the highs round out through pressure, it that makes any sense?
When people say warm they usually mean "less bright". That means less Treble.

Until you post an example of what you mean by "warm" we are just guessing.

I can't really dig into the strings, just don't have the finger strenght to make the highs round out through pressure, it that makes any sense?
No idea what this means. Playing harder usually gives more treble in my experience.

As I mentioned EQ is EQ. at this point we need a preset of yours uploaded or an audio example of what it sounds like now.

Yes they are. Perhaps I need to provide sound clips. I have carpal tunnel so I play with a very light touch. I typically use the 5153 blue or the Splawn Qrod with gain around 4 or 5.

Also, are there any particular guitarist that you are trying to emulate ? That would be helpful also !

Yes, you are. ;)

“Smooth round highs” means less treble.
yeah it sounds like he's self-imposing a limit on how much treble to dump, either visually (i can't put that number THAT low) or something else.

Warm is subjective and can mean different things to different people. Can you post an example of what you're referring to?

Try a darker sim
For Marshall try Freidman
For hi gain The XTC red

Reduce the Hi treble in the amp block

For cabs change to a Royer 121 ribbon play with the hi cut there as well

Note if you play w/ a band you will probably want some of the treble bite back or in a recorded mix

Back
Top Bottom