How to get this mellow lead tone? (André Antune Chopin Nocturne) Distorted, but pleasant

I'm able to get extremely close to that tone but I think a lot of it is the pickups...
I'm using a Friedman, compressor out front and guitar volume about 7.
I'm using Dimarzio Gravity Storms
But every guitar is a bit different.
I love that tone though. I'm really inspired with it.
Andy Timmons comes to mind as well.

I don't know if I am getting closer or if it is ear fatigue, but it is starting to sound better. I have added a subtle touch of CE2

Preset attached. ODS-100 HRM. Factory1#162 1x12 Bludo 121 D and Legacy#11 Bludo Mix
FW 20.00 Beta 4, using the new DynDst block

Quick&dirty test that I recorded at the loop for tweaking purposes. The final part, with guitar volume up
Ibanez RG with Air Norton S neck

BTW: what presets do you use with the Axis that brings that characteristic tone?

Attachments

• Chopin Test03.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I don't know if I am getting closer or if it is ear fatigue, but it is starting to sound better. I have added a subtle touch of CE2

Preset attached. ODS-100 HRM. Factory1#162 1x12 Bludo 121 D and Legacy#11 Bludo Mix
FW 20.00 Beta 4, using the new DynDst block

Quick&dirty test that I recorded at the loop for tweaking purposes. Ibanez RG with Air Norton S neck

BTW: what presets do you use with the Axis that brings that characteristic tone?

I'd use slightly less gain, and more compression.

I'm starting to enjoy playing with this tone. About time to start practicing the piece and stop tweaking!! No more excuses 😅

Besides learning to play all the notes correctly and on-time (the tempo is floating) there are many nuances to master to make it attractive. This is not rock'n'roll!

This is a very sloppy take, just for testing the tone against the backing track. I have a lot of work ahead if I want to play it with some grace

Enhancements of the preset are welcome.

Attachments

• Chopin Test04.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I just bought the backing track and will try to learn this as well. I think one thing you are up against (now me too!) is that there sounds like a bit of post production work to deal with here. If I had to guess, they performed at least some compression and EQ after the fact.

Thanks for the link. I just bought the backing track and will try to learn this as well. I think one thing you are up against (now me too!) is that there sounds like a bit of post production work to deal with here. If I had to guess, they performed at least some compression and EQ after the fact.

I have found that playing over the original piano interpretation is very educative and rewarding. It is very different to playing with a metronome, as you have to really listen, feel and follow the interpreter's cadence. My favorite version to play through is by Valentina Lisita. Other players have very different moods.

Last edited:
I have found that playing over the original piano interpretation is very educative and rewarding. It is very different to playing with a metronome, as you have to really listen, feel and follow the interpreter's cadence. My favorite version to play through is by Valentina Lisita. Other players have very different moods.

Downloaded, Thank you! Valentina's version is amazing and I love the way she plays piano.

Weird thing about me...I actually can't just play to a metronome or click no matter how hard I try, so every piece or song I learn requires me to first find or create a backing track. As you can imagine, this can sometimes be a huge challenge. Fortunately, over the years I have manage to accumulate a respectable backing track library. The last few months I have been playing more classical (don't all reformed punk rockers eventually Lol), so your thread was timely.

I'll try to lend a hand on the preset for this when I get back in the studio. Recovering from a bout with covid, so my strength hasn't been there.

Last edited:
@Piing I noticed that your cab block is only using mono input (left). Doesn't really matter if you are using Drive Block 1, but if you are bypassing it, then your are reducing your amp (that is in stereo) down to mono. Is this intended?

I'm starting to enjoy playing with this tone. About time to start practicing the piece and stop tweaking!! No more excuses 😅

Besides learning to play all the notes correctly and on-time (the tempo is floating) there are many nuances to master to make it attractive. This is not rock'n'roll!

This is a very sloppy take, just for testing the tone against the backing track. I have a lot of work ahead if I want to play it with some grace

Enhancements of the preset are welcome.

BTW, sounds like this was recorded with the ODS? I think you are pretty darn close!

@Piing I noticed that your cab block is only using mono input (left). Doesn't really matter if you are using Drive Block 1, but if you are bypassing it, then your are reducing your amp (that is in stereo) down to mono. Is this intended?

Amp blocks are mono

Not sure this preset is any better (actually it's not), but I like the sound of it and have been using it while I learn. I added in a MZ-38 with some some Ownhammer IR's and an AITR channel. The IRs are Blue & Gold mixes from their 212 VXT collection.

Attachments

• Chopin [HB-N] R0.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 6
My first attempt to perform the whole piece.

I've discarded about going after André's tone, and I've tweaked a tone that was pleasant for me to play.

A Klone Chirrión into a Carol-Ann Triptik Clean

My favorite tone was with the RG550LTD Dimarzio Blusbucker neck pickup in single coil mode. It is the one that captured more playing nuances. More than the others I've tried: Tom Anderson DropTop (SD1), j.custom (Air Norton), S540FM (IBZ F1) and Strat (EMG SA).

Guitar vol at 10 all the time. Switch to bridge pickup (Suhr Aldrich) for the accentuated section

Preset attached. Scene 4.
User CAB: LRSV VT Mix 1 from https://livereadysound.com/product/vinai-t-ir-pack/

Attachments

• Chopin Nocturne 2020.08.03.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom