How to get the Tremolo in sync?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I am working on some songs which need a synced tremolo sound from the tremolo block. But I have a hard time syncing it to the beat. When you hit a note the effect doesn't start on the beat but where it accidentally is in the cycle of the tremolo at that moment. So we need a RUN parameter/function or something so that it automatically starts the cycle when you hit the string (like with a delay pedal). Otherwise it is very hard to get a 1/8 note chopped tremolo sound in sync with the metronome or song for example. Also when you want to combine it with a synced tempo delay it is impossible to do this and be in sync right now.

Is that possible the way it is now? How do I set this up?

Last edited:
ok thanks. But at default the start phase is set to 180. Does that mean it starts on the beat with that setting? Or do I have to set it to 0?
When trying to sync a 1/4 note with square wave it doesn't work as expected. The first trem note (repeat so to say) is always too fast when you play with a metronome.

I have tried all start phase settings.

Start Phase determines where the wave starts when you engage the effect block, not when you hit the strings.

To sync the Tremolo itself to the tempo, set Rate to a tempo divison.

Last edited:
Yes that I know of course.

Lets ask it another way: I want to sync a square wave tremolo to 100 BPM and have 1 'repeat' per beat. Then I set the subdivision to 1/4 and tempo to 100. And then start phase to 180 (middle position).
I had that setting but it doesn't sync to the metronome when I hit a note exactly on the beat. Any settings I miss?

Last edited:
I don't know if this is possible, just hypothesizing, but maybe you can put an Envelope modifier on the Bypass state of the Tremolo block. When you strike a chord and meet the volume threshold, the Tremolo effect turns on and starts at the beginning of the wave shape phase. Maybe set a long decay so that it doesn't turn off quickly.

You might have better luck using a VOL block controlled by the sequencer. The sequencer lets you reset the starting point so every time you stop/start it it starts from the beginning of the pattern again.

Ok, so it is not possible with the tremolo block you think?
Shouldn't be too hard to restart the wave in sync with the time division that you have chosen at the moment when you first hit the string I thought. I wonder why this is not implemented. It makes sense musically.

Anyway, that would make it a wish for a future update for me.

You might have better luck using a VOL block controlled by the sequencer. The sequencer lets you reset the starting point so every time you stop/start it it starts from the beginning of the pattern again.
This.... I used to cover "land of confusion" and we didnt play to a click. For the chorus I set up a sequencer for the electronic part behind the guitar and then used an expression pedal to restart it on each measure. Worked well for us.you could also set up with an IA stomp easily enough.

Ok I will try that. Too bad the tremolo can’t do that. I had made a nice chopped tremolo sound with a triangle wave and low duty setting. But it’s a bit useless if you can’t get it in sync with the beat.

I guess the tremolo block works fine for normal faster sine wave stuff which don’t need sync. But for more experimental or modern rhythmic stuff you need this sync. Its a bit illogical to me that it doesn’t do that already by default.

I am talking about sounds like 4:20 in the video here. But basically rhythm 1 with different gate times:

Last edited:
I am working on some songs which need a synced tremolo sound from the tremolo block. But I have a hard time syncing it to the beat. When you hit a note the effect doesn't start on the beat but where it accidentally is in the cycle of the tremolo at that moment. So we need a RUN parameter/function or something so that it automatically starts the cycle when you hit the string (like with a delay pedal). Otherwise it is very hard to get a 1/8 note chopped tremolo sound in sync with the metronome or song for example. Also when you want to combine it with a synced tempo delay it is impossible to do this and be in sync right now.

Is that possible the way it is now? How do I set this up?

No, that can't be done with the AxeFX Tremolo. You'l find the same problem with the LFO. As was mentioned, the workaround is to use the sequencer, which has an midi-controllable Run parameter to trigger the sequence. The lack of a trigger does seem like an odd omission, but what would be an even better way to solve this problem would be to add support to the AxeFX for midi time code. That way rhythmic effects could be synchronized with the song.

Last edited:
Been experimenting with this some more. I now used a sequencer attached to a volume block and the sequencer is triggered by an envelope. You can get the same rhythms as in the Empress 2 video above this way. Only thing I miss in the sequencer is an option to set the gate time to create shorter choppier notes like a square wave. Any idea how to get that?

Came up with this sound and made a very quick video. It's a volume block rhythm combined with a rhythmic pitch shifter (preset is attached below, see also post #25):

Attachments

• Sequencer song BT.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Been experimenting with this some more. I now used a sequencer attached to a volume block and the sequencer is triggered by an envelope. You can get the same rhythms as in the Empress 2 video above this way. Only thing I miss in the sequencer is an option to set the gate time to create shorter choppier notes like a square wave. Any idea how to get that?

Came up with this sound and made a very quick video. It's a volume block rhythm combined with a rhythmic pitch shifter:

What if you make more steps in the sequence, but leave their volume off?

So, for example, if you have 8 steps go to 16... Now you have more "granular" steps - you can have a "short" note of 1 step or a "long" note of 2 steps.

Of course I might be not understanding your request :)

The tremolo starts when you engage the block so you need to engage the block on the beat and set the phase accordingly. If I'm using a daw I engage the block via a midi message to get it bang on the beat - It drifts out though eventually which is annoying.

This whole mechanism is also massively annoying because you can't spontaneously switch to the preset and have the tremolo in sync. (like when you want a sudden quick change in a tune). I really hope its sorted on the axe fx III because it's a huge gripe of mine that the axe Fx II doesn't align tempo-based effects to the downbeat, or better still have the option to sync it or not for every time based effect individually ;) which for me primarily includes phasers and flangers as well as the tremolo. Drives me up the wall because I like electronic music styles and the axe fx is almost the perfect tool.

Last edited:
By the way you can use the LFO to volume or pan and do what I said by triggering the waveform "Run" on the beat also, but again, tempo drift is inevitable.

What if you make more steps in the sequence, but leave their volume off?

So, for example, if you have 8 steps go to 16... Now you have more "granular" steps - you can have a "short" note of 1 step or a "long" note of 2 steps.

Of course I might be not understanding your request :)

Yes I thought about doing this too. Will try that tomorrow. It's a bit cumbersome though. If we could set the gate time/ step length that would be better and much more flexible.

The tremolo starts when you engage the block so you need to engage the block on the beat and set the phase accordingly. If I'm using a daw I engage the block via a midi message to get it bang on the beat - It drifts out though eventually which is annoying.

This whole mechanism is also massively annoying because you can't spontaneously switch to the preset and have the tremolo in sync. (like when you want a sudden quick change in a tune). I really hope its sorted on the axe fx III because it's a huge gripe of mine that the axe Fx II doesn't align tempo-based effects to the downbeat, or better still have the option to sync it or not for every time based effect individually ;) which for me primarily includes phasers and flangers as well as the tremolo. Drives me up the wall because I like electronic music styles and the axe fx is almost the perfect tool.

Yes I find it also a bit frustrating. If you want to do these tempo based effects the Axe fx runs a bit short. Especially if you see the huge potential that is in the box.

What I don't understand is why not all these tempo based effects start on the beat by default? Same goes for the sequencer and arpeggiator. Why would you want to start somewhere in the middle of the sequence pattern or wave cycle? That would make it less difficult and cumbersome to create these kind of patches. It doesn't sound good when not synced to the beat.

Last edited:

Came up with this sound and made a very quick video. It's a volume block rhythm combined with a rhythmic pitch shifter:

Wow...this is cool...would you be so kind as to share the preset?

Back
Top Bottom