How to get the most out of changing power tube types

stm113

Power User
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, a lot by me but has anyone here cracked the secrets of getting the most effect from changing power tube types in the Axe FX?

I know that power tubes are flat in tone and all but the fact remains that in the amp world when you change tube types you get a different tone. I know this is due to what the tubes work with and not the tubes themselves. I am just looking to get more bang out to the change in my AF2.

thanks all!!!

Power tubes simply amplify, though how the circuit and iron reacts to their differences is what makes the different tubes create different tones.

No magic, try them out and use what you like etc. You should consider tweaking the power amp bias and possibly the power supply params when changing tubes, as they're all related in the real world., but in the end it's just what you prefer.

Would be great if FAS had an option to copy the Power or Pre Amp model only from one model to another!

Essentially you can do that by taking screen shots of the various params in Axe Edit, and then finding your preamp and punching in the power amp params of your desired power amp.

I use my Axe II as a tube power amp sim/cab sim/FX with tube preamps, and that's how I create the tube power amp sims.

I never played with these for the first two years setting up patches. I just could not tell the difference enough to bother with it. That has changed because my ears have changed. I have trained my hearing to hear a big difference now and they are a powerful tool to use I now find. Not sure if it's also Ares 2.0 making it more noticeable as well but I do know I have trained my ears to recognize almost every parameter in that box and know how to get what I am looking for fast now by ear.

Essentially you can do that by taking screen shots of the various params in Axe Edit, and then finding your preamp and punching in the power amp params of your desired power amp.

I use my Axe II as a tube power amp sim/cab sim/FX with tube preamps, and that's how I create the tube power amp sims.

What parameters do you look at? The only 2 I’ve seen that seem to change are the Power Amp Hardness & Dynamic Damping, are there any others?

thanks!

What parameters do you look at? The only 2 I’ve seen that seem to change are the Power Amp Hardness & Dynamic Damping, are there any others?

thanks!

Hi, all of them, power amp, power supply, speaker, and dynamics sometimes (check).

If using as a tube power amp sim then you can't decouple the preamp so it's params in part as well, but not needed if you're using the modeled preamps obviously.

If on Ares use the Axe III manual for amp block stuff as they never made a Axe II Ares manual.

Back
Top Bottom