How to get the Maxon OD-808 sound in AF2?

stm113

Power User
As the title says. Anyone had any luck recreating this?

***edit***
The "this" being the OD 808.

Last edited:
Agreed - FAS Boost is hot! I haven't had an OD808 in ages, but this reminds me of that. Whatever - it just sounds great where I put it.

As the title says. Anyone had any luck recreating this?

***edit***
The "this" being the OD 808.

The FAS Boost will get pretty close, but it won't quite compress the right way and there's something a little funky about the high frequencies.

Best solution? Buy an 808 and run that into your AFX.

I've matched the tone of my Ibanez TS-10 (supposedly close to the Maxon circuit) with the 808 in the Axe FX. I ended up bumping up the low mids a bit in the Drive block EQ section, around 4db in the 600hz range, to get it to match.

So I broke down an bought an OD808 and did a tone match with FAS Boost. Here are my settings for FAS Boost to have a similar tonality to the OD808 set with drive at 9:00, tone at 1:30, balance dimed.

Drive: 2
Tone: 7
Level: 10
Low cut 330
High cut 1550
Bass -2
Mid +5
Mid Freq: 350.1
Treble +2

The OD808 has a subbass bump that I can't replicate within the drive block with FAS Boost, but it's really not necessary to get the tonality correct. Compression characteristics are not the same between the two, the OD808 sounds more compressed, but I'm going to play around with TS808 and TS808 Mod and compare it to the OD808 and see if I can get closer. At any rate, these settings for FAS Boost sound really good with the Recto and 5150 presets I have currently setup.

So I broke down an bought an OD808 and did a tone match with FAS Boost. Here are my settings for FAS Boost to have a similar tonality to the OD808 set with drive at 9:00, tone at 1:30, balance dimed.

Drive: 2
Level: 10
Low cut 330
High cut 1550
Bass -2
Mid +5
Mid Freq: 350.1
Treble +2

The OD808 has a subbass bump that I can't replicate within the drive block with FAS Boost, but it's really not necessary to get the tonality correct. Compression characteristics are not the same between the two, the OD808 sounds more compressed, but I'm going to play around with TS808 and TS808 Mod and compare it to the OD808 and see if I can get closer. At any rate, these settings for FAS Boost sound really good with the Recto and 5150 presets I have currently setup.

...if you've got an 808, why kill yourself trying to get the AFX to sound like it? Just use the 808?

Also, in my experience, the actual 808 sounded less compressed. I was using a different amp model though so who knows?

...if you've got an 808, why kill yourself trying to get the AFX to sound like it? Just use the 808?

Because I don't want to have to fool with switching my MFC-101 as well as the 808 when going from distortion to clean, which I do often. I could buy an RJM Mini Effects Gizmo to automate the switching, but it's really not worth it to me. Using the FX Loop to put the 808 in isn't an option either, as I use the FX Loop to drive my power amp and 4x12 cab and run line level with cab sim on output 1 to FOH.

Also, in my experience, the actual 808 sounded less compressed. I was using a different amp model though so who knows?

I don't know if is also the case of psycle_1, but for me the main purpose of getting a modeler like AFX2 is to leave the real things behind, carry less stuff and save my back while still seeking for "the tone". I still have my analog stuff for references, but I try (really hard) to get them as much as possible into the virtual world.

Unfortunately I do always behave in cycles...
Get tired of carrying tons of gear :(, break in to a simple setup :), then start adding a single pedal here for this ;), then another one for that :D, then... then... o_O damn... I need to start over... :mad:

It happens over and over again. It's ridiculous... haha.

Because I don't want to have to fool with switching my MFC-101 as well as the 808 when going from distortion to clean, which I do often. I could buy an RJM Mini Effects Gizmo to automate the switching, but it's really not worth it to me. Using the FX Loop to put the 808 in isn't an option either, as I use the FX Loop to drive my power amp and 4x12 cab and run line level with cab sim on output 1 to FOH.

Oh right. I forget that there are people in this world who turn their Tubescreamer off.

Hi Guys,

i had good results with editing the ts808 to match my maxon od 808
First of all change the Chip to 4558 chip.
Second match the low and high cut.
lowcut around 600 highcut around 1000.

I matched this by ear switching between the real thing and the fractal od.

Cheers

Oh and i was listening to my poweramp real cab setup and ir loaded sound over studio monitors.

To fit my Maxon OD 808 with the following settings:
Drive: 0
Tone: 3 o'clock
Balance: Full

AX8:
FAS Boost
Locut: 480Hz
Hicut: 1100Hz
4558/Diode
Bass: -2
MidFrequ: 520Hz
Mid: +5
Treble: +7
Level: 6

Ampsim used for Comparison:
EVH 5130III 100W Blue
Input Dive: 3.5
Master: 2.8
Boost: On
Depth: 4.2
Presence 7.72
Rest Default

Last edited:
I spent some time tone matching using a pink noise generator in cubase reamped into the Maxon and then FX8 (I used fabfilter pro-q to view the spectrum).

The TS-808 OD was already extremely close.
Here's what I ended up with. The two sprectrums were nearly identical other than just a little bit of 13k-14k missing in the FX8.

Maxon;
Tone: 12 o'clock
Balance: Full

TS-808 OD;
Tone: 5
Level: 8
Clipping: 4558
Treble: 2

That's it. Bass end and mid-hump were already spot on.

To match the tone sweep of the Maxon I had to boost the treble and mid in the TS-808 OD along with the tone. The maxon's tone is focused lower.
Maxon;
Tone: 2 o'clock

TS-808 OD;
Tone: 8
Treble: 3
Mid: 1
Mid frequency 1000hz (could be + or - in this area)

Maxon made the original Ibanez tube screamers. Maxon 808 and Ibanez 808 should be same thing depending on production year. Does it not sound like the 808's in the fractal?

Back
Top Bottom