How to get the Firth of Fifth/Genesis/Steve Hackett Tone

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
I saw a video of someone getting very close to Steve Hackett's tone on the Genesis song, Firth of Fifth, using a Kemper. Has anyone replicated this sound on an Axe-FX 3? FYI, I don't think it is really documented how he got this tone to begin with, my understanding is that he used 3 different drive pedals on the record and live at the time, and decades later he was using a Fernandes to get this endless sustain.

Any ideas, or exiting presets, to get this tone?

Nowadays, Steve uses a SansAmp GT2 for his overdrive sound (at least live). On Selling England, he used an HH solid State amp (or his Hiwatt that he used on Nursery Cryme).

Pedals - a Shaftesbury Duo-Tone (which is a Univox Fuzz - two settings) and Marshall SupaFuzz - Tonebender Somehow, I was able to find the Shaftesbury as well as the Apollo (same pedal). I also got a reissue Colorsound Steve Hackett model)

Here is a great website - http://www.lileighwhite.com/steve-hackett-equipment-list-lamb-era-vs-gr2-tour-era.html

I would a great Hackett and Steve Howe (Yessongs) patch.

Great link and info. Here is the youtube video, pretty much nailing the tone with a Kemper. Sorry if posting that is a faux pas on this forum! I'll bet there is an even better way to replicate this tone on an Axe 3.

I have one in my "Fremen's picks" pack. I'm not trying to copy his tone though, but have something "in the ballpark" to play that song and that suits me.

I may tweak it to come closer, specially the delay/reverb settings, it may need to be more wet compared the live versions available on Youtube

Back
Top Bottom