How to get the cleanest signal for VST plugins?

rich2k4

Inspired
I would like to play around with Jam Origin's Midi Guitar, and was wondering what the best way to get a clean direct signal from the Axe? Tube Pre model without a cab?

If you are using USB to your computer, USB Inputs 3 and 4 are the direct guitar input with no processing as well.

What do I have to do to just hear the VST instruments from Midi Guitar? It seems like I am hearing the signal from the Axe as well,so it is mixed.

Are you using the Axe as interface?

If you leave the grid empty (no shunts) the Axe won't output any guitar sound on its own. DI signal will available on USB inputs 3/4.

Or if you want to increase the DI level (I don't know what settings Midi Guitar has to deal w/ various input levels) you could route input to FX Loop block and boost level in FXL or an earlier volume/filter block. In that case set (I/O: Audio menu) USB/Digi Out Source to Output 2 and choose USB channel 1 for Midi Guitar.

Yes I am using the Axe Fx as an interface.

Doesn't seem like you can choose specific channels in midi guitar standalone. If I use just all shunts, I get no signal at all from Midi Guitar. If I use the Tube Pre, I get a signal but like I said, I can hear the clean guitar mixed with the Synth plugins I am using, which defeats the whole purpose.

If someone can download the software (its free) and mess around with it and help me out that would be great. http://www.jamorigin.com/download/

Maybe this type of stuff is designed for a dedicated audio interface unit, but I don't see what the difference would be between that and using the Axe.

I found one workaround which works but is not ideal.

I set Midi Guitar Input to Axe Fx, and the output to my built in iMac speakers. I then turn the output level knob on the Axe off completely. This way I hear no signal from the Axe, but its still being sent to the software. The only unfortunate thing is the processed VST sound comes out of my iMac speakers.

The only other thing I can think of is buying a standalone audio interface. Plugging my monitors into that. Then having BOTH the interface AND the AXE plugged in through USB. To do a similar thing as I did above, but having the output be the standalone interface going out to my monitors.

Seems to complex. I believe I remember interfaces such as the focus rites have a button to monitor the direct signal. I'm guessing Axe doesn't have this because not monitoring the signal from the Axe would defeat the whole purpose of having the Axe.

I found one workaround which works but is not ideal.

I set Midi Guitar Input to Axe Fx, and the output to my built in iMac speakers. I then turn the output level knob on the Axe off completely. This way I hear no signal from the Axe, but its still being sent to the software. The only unfortunate thing is the processed VST sound comes out of my iMac speakers.

The only other thing I can think of is buying a standalone audio interface. Plugging my monitors into that. Then having BOTH the interface AND the AXE plugged in through USB. To do a similar thing as I did above, but having the output be the standalone interface going out to my monitors.

Seems to complex. I believe I remember interfaces such as the focus rites have a button to monitor the direct signal. I'm guessing Axe doesn't have this because not monitoring the signal from the Axe would defeat the whole purpose of having the Axe.

it is well worth it to incorporate a master interface especially if using plugins and Logic, etc, maybe I'm stating the obvious, MIDI Guitar in particular reacts better to to a strong clean analog signal that I usually provide from OUT 2' sourced from ECHO INPUT 1.

Doesn't seem like you can choose specific channels in midi guitar standalone.

I see a list of input channels here w/ the latest demo version, just below where you select the audio device.

It looks like it may be useful to get a higher input level than what's typical for USB 3/4, but I didn't really see what effect the MG velocity parameters had.

You can use the method in the last paragraph of post #5 to get a louder input signal. Route input block to FX Loop block, not the end of grid. Set USB/Digi Out Source to Output 2, then choose input channel 1 in Midi Guitar. Increase the row or main level in FX Loop block to boost level going to MG.

Back
Top Bottom