How to get that bite in your tone..

Tosin video

so look at this video at about 0:14 - 0:22

I think everyone here has a good enough ear to know what im talking about when i say that bite... when he palm mutes those chords they really really bite well... how the hell do i get this on my ultra? i have been trying and trying for awhile now... im kinda close but i cant figure out how to emphasize that sound anymore in my patches... the closest i got was with a FAS modern (with bright on) with ts808 in front and a cali cab.. plus that filter trick in the wiki.

but how the hell can he get that much bite in his patches.. there has to be something im missing.

Im not hearing big time attack or bite. Take away the string noise (audible because he is playing low volume) and it would sound quite dull. If you are talking about the bloom after the inital attack id say scale length and string guage has quite and effect on that. What guitar and guage strings are you using?

What pickups are you using? I think actives tend to give more of the sound you are looking for.

Cron said:
Im not hearing big time attack or bite. Take away the string noise (audible because he is playing low volume) and it would sound quite dull. If you are talking about the bloom after the inital attack id say scale length and string guage has quite and effect on that. What guitar and guage strings are you using?

What pickups are you using? I think actives tend to give more of the sound you are looking for.

I'm on an Agile maple neck 8 string with a 28.625 scale... meaning my scale length is longer than tosin's here the rg2228 is a 27.5 I believe. Also my gauges are 9-12-15-22-30-40-54-72 (la bella hrs crazy eights). Pickups are the agile stock Cepheus pups. They sound good as far as I can tell but I don't have any other 8 string pups to test it a against.. but everyone on the seven string forum likes them.. I'm putting warpigs in my custom guitar tho but I really don't see it making a big difference.

Pickups make a huge difference IMO...but if you want bite use a bitier amp model like the Recto New is one of my faves. Pick hard too :p

ENDITOL said:
Pickups make a huge difference IMO...but if you want bite use a bitier amp model like the Recto New is one of my faves. Pick hard too :p

I know how to physically djent and i have a better djent tone than a lot of people but i still want to push it even further... but trust me its the tone not my playing perhaps the pickups will change a lot tho.. i dunno. the recto new has way to much fizz for me i play with almost no added distortion.. i mean i still get a bit of distortion but i turn it almost all the way off on the amp and on the ts808 i dont use any distortion.

Just a suggestion to try,

I find I get a bitier tone when boosting the amp block with the 'boost' on.

You many toggle this state by selecting the TYPE control and pressing ENTER in the AMP block.

From here, I turn the drive down, but it definitely has a different tone than throwing a boosted drive block in front of the amp.

Worth a try...

TimmyM

Speaking of boosting the amp block...does anyone know if there is a way to assign a controller to turn this boost on and off..>I don't think there is but sure could use the help if anyone has any ideas...or perhaps it should be on the wish list? Hmmmm

Week 4 with my Ultra and LOVING IT!! My Triaxis has become my backup after 17 years! NICE!

Jeff

JeffinSoCal said:
Speaking of boosting the amp block...does anyone know if there is a way to assign a controller to turn this boost on and off..>I don't think there is but sure could use the help if anyone has any ideas...or perhaps it should be on the wish list? Hmmmm

Week 4 with my Ultra and LOVING IT!! My Triaxis has become my backup after 17 years! NICE!

Jeff

If you use a Null Filter block before the amp at 10 db, it is the same as the boost function. You can then assign a CC to this to turn it on and off.

Back
Top Bottom