How To Get IR Cabs From VST To Axe FX III

LucasLeCompte

Experienced
I got asked about this so I made a video about it. I know a lot of us here may already know to do this but for those who dont, this will help. Sometimes we want cabs but they are in a VST and we have to export them out of the VST to get them on to the Axe Fx. It is actually pretty simple. Most important thing to know is you have to export the IRs from a mono track, meaning putting the VST on a mono track. After exporting, you just have to load it on the axe fx. Video explains it in better detail. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I know you left a question about exporting mono - I found if I convert from WAV to SYX using Cab Lite 3 from Fractal, I get a L/R syx file and then it looks like this in Axe Edit. Cab Lite 3 automatically appended the L and R to the files.

I haven't experimented enough but it's possible I'm getting the exact same IR in L and R since I think most of these presets from GGD are not stereo - except for one. I say this because the "Align" wave for the L/R are the same in most of these.
1633969762048.png

I think you may be right as it may be just exporting the same IR Twice! If it works and sounds good then that means it worked!

Thank you for video!
Still have some questions just for understanding the process.

1. What IR "length" does Axe-fx support? In GGD there are 500ms and 1000ms. Other vendors provide 200ms (like OwnHammer). Is there any noticeable difference in sound and what better to use?

2. What IR Processing Mode preferable for import - Min Phase, Auto Trim, None? If I use only 3rd party IRs, for example.

3. Is there any internal ("invisible") cab block processing? Because IRs from GGD sound darker and quitter then through plugin with disabled cab block. All cuts and EQs are off.

I am a little confused why I also keep getting L and R channels when exporting. This happens with the standalone and the VST in reaper. My track is mono in reaper

Thank you for video!
Still have some questions just for understanding the process.

1. What IR "length" does Axe-fx support? In GGD there are 500ms and 1000ms. Other vendors provide 200ms (like OwnHammer). Is there any noticeable difference in sound and what better to use?

2. What IR Processing Mode preferable for import - Min Phase, Auto Trim, None? If I use only 3rd party IRs, for example.

3. Is there any internal ("invisible") cab block processing? Because IRs from GGD sound darker and quitter then through plugin with disabled cab block. All cuts and EQs are off.
1. I tried with both 500 and 1k and the axe fx didnt seem to care. When you import it in you still get the options to change the length of it in the cab block.
2. For this I dont know for sure because when you drag it over in axe edit it doesnt give you a choice. I think in the past I have picked Min Phase. Not really sure though.
3. Not that I know of.

I am a little confused why I also keep getting L and R channels when exporting. This happens with the standalone and the VST in reaper. My track is mono in reaper
This may be due to how your master bus is set up when exporting. I changed all my exports in studio one to export mono only when I need to export things. Even before I did this it worked correctly for me. Must be a reaper thing.

Back
Top Bottom