How to get good sound thro PA system/In ears?

I recently got the fractal ax8 and brought it to my band practice with what I thought were awesome tones, when I plugged in and started playing it had that di/fuzzy sound to it and I don’t know how to get rid of it. Any help? Eq on PA system was flat.

What are you using to create your presets (speakers, monitors, headphones), what IEMs are you using? I ran into the same issue when moving from AX8 into an amp to the AX8 direct to the PA. Ended up bringing a laptop to the auditorium and created a couple of presets with the PA system. Took the AX8 home and compared the tones I created at home with what ended up sounding good in the auditorium and discovered my original presets were WAY too bright.

Using in-ears is another can of worms. Unless you're using some good, multi-driver IEMs, your tone is not likely to sound the same as the PA. I would suggest focusing on the PA tone and accept the tone you get in your monitors. Sucks I know, but the main thing is to make sure the audience hears the better tone.

Also, what volume are you using to create your presets? Lower volume (Loud TV) can make "bad" sounding presets sound good. Using studio monitors, I run the volume @ 70 dB (loud for nearfield monitors) to get presets to translate well to most any venue. When using 70 dB, it exposed the brightness of the original presets I created at home.

I actually had to retrain my ears to what a 'good' guitar tone sounds like on my system. I started by just using an amp, AC-20 EF86 Bright, and a corresponding cab, AC-20 DLX MIX. Left everything at the default values and was blown away by how good it sounded and, again, how much brighter the other presets were. Might be worth trying yourself to see if you have the same experience.

My take would be to use FRFR speakers and (if available) Studio monitors as reference. If your presets sound good at home with FRFR and Studio Monitors, it should deliver a good foundation for PA.
I have an entry to mid-level wireless IEM with Shure SE215, so I would not use that as the tone reference.

What are you using to create your presets (speakers, monitors, headphones), what IEMs are you using? I ran into the same issue when moving from AX8 into an amp to the AX8 direct to the PA. Ended up bringing a laptop to the auditorium and created a couple of presets with the PA system. Took the AX8 home and compared the tones I created at home with what ended up sounding good in the auditorium and discovered my original presets were WAY too bright.

Using in-ears is another can of worms. Unless you're using some good, multi-driver IEMs, your tone is not likely to sound the same as the PA. I would suggest focusing on the PA tone and accept the tone you get in your monitors. Sucks I know, but the main thing is to make sure the audience hears the better tone.

Also, what volume are you using to create your presets? Lower volume (Loud TV) can make "bad" sounding presets sound good. Using studio monitors, I run the volume @ 70 dB (loud for nearfield monitors) to get presets to translate well to most any venue. When using 70 dB, it exposed the brightness of the original presets I created at home.

I actually had to retrain my ears to what a 'good' guitar tone sounds like on my system. I started by just using an amp, AC-20 EF86 Bright, and a corresponding cab, AC-20 DLX MIX. Left everything at the default values and was blown away by how good it sounded and, again, how much brighter the other presets were. Might be worth trying yourself to see if you have the same experience.
Lots of awesome stuff here thanks! I was using a Yamaha 1000w 1x12 powered speaker to make my presets and some cheap $20 in ears. Also I see the “Main Out Clip” light flashing a lot too could that have anything to do with it?

Lots of awesome stuff here thanks! I was using a Yamaha 1000w 1x12 powered speaker to make my presets and some cheap $20 in ears. Also I see the “Main Out Clip” light flashing a lot too could that have anything to do with it?
I would try lowering the level in the Amp block. Don't know if this is the root cause but it wouldn't hurt to get levels more nominal. It sounds more like the amp setup (eq) issue like I experienced rather than a output level problem.

I would try lowering the level in the Amp block. Don't know if this is the root cause but it wouldn't hurt to get levels more nominal. It sounds more like the amp setup (eq) issue like I experienced rather than a output level problem.
Thanks man you’ve been tons of help I’m already getting better tones!

used the on board VU meter to monitor your main out, and adjust the amp block level

Back
Top Bottom