How to get Axe-Fx to send program changes to Triaxis via MIDI

Brock

Experienced
I have a Triaxis in the FX loop of the Axe-Fx. My goal is for the Axe-Fx to change the MIDI program/preset number on the Triaxis. I presently have the MIDI Out of the Axe-Fx going to the MIDI In of the Triaxis. When I change presets on the Axe-Fx, nothing happens on the Triaxis.

How can I get the Axe-Fx to make the Triaxis program change - e.g., so Axe preset 1 makes the Triaxis to go to preset 1, Axe 2 = Triaxis 2, etc.?

sorry i don't speak english
i use triaxiw with axefx and no problem
MFC to axefx and midi out axe to triaxis midi in
Triaxis midi channel 2
for commande on mfc tape Edit ... Preset and edit prog change on channel 2 and choice your
n° prog triaxis

I don't have a MFC (yet) - is that required or shouldn't just turning the big knob and switching patch numbers on the Axe-Fx be good enough?

Axe-FX doesn't generate program changes on front-panel preset changes. The PC needs to come from something else.

Yeah, that's a bit weird because the manual states:

"Selecting a preset via the Axe-Fx II front panel will also transmit the corresponding bank select and program change number messages."

"Selecting a preset via the Axe-Fx II front panel will also transmit the corresponding bank select and program change number messages."

I'm guessing that was an earlier plan for what's now a sysex thing. Axe-Edit sends commands on run/close to make the Axe start/stop sending sysex messages indicating preset selection.

I'm guessing that was an earlier plan for what's now a sysex thing. Axe-Edit sends commands on run/close to make the Axe start/stop sending sysex messages indicating preset selection.

I know the manual was recently updated for Q7 but I agree with you that I think that info is left over from an old version of the manual. I've had my Axe-Fx II MkI since early 2012 and it came with firmware 5 and I don't think it sent PC even then.

@Brock I asked a similar question to yours a while ago because I was trying to record audio along with the MIDI Program Change messages, so I could keep track of and remember what presets I used. I used to do that when recording synths and any MIDI device that have presets. I'd always start the recording 2 measures early and then toggle the preset back and forth to record the Program Change.

If you are looking to get a MIDI Foot Controller (MFC), I recommend either a RJM Mastermind GT or FAMC Liquid Foot Plus (LF+) because the FAS MFC-101 is great MFC but it's not very customizable and more useful for a beginner who needs a quick compatible plug and play foot controller for the Axe-Fx II only.

FAMC has had a bad reputation in the past but they seem to have resolved 99% of their issues but they only came back to life a couple months ago, so it's still too early to know if they will be sustainable. They've been developing a new MFC for the past few years that looks like will be a game changer for the MFC market if it ever gets released because it will have tons of MIDI programming settings and be half the price of the RJM MFC's.

If you're interested in FAMC's current LF+, check out the tutorial I wrote:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FAMC_Liquid_Foot+

Here's Yek's RJM MMGT Tutorial:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=RJM_Mastermind_GT_MIDI_controller

I don't have a MFC (yet) - is that required or shouldn't just turning the big knob and switching patch numbers on the Axe-Fx be good enough?

You may be able to do the reverse and have the Triaxis control the Axe-Fx II but you'll be limited to only the first 90 Axe-Fx II presets bc I think that's how many presets the Triaxis has. You would connect a MIDI cable from the Triaxis MIDI Out to the Axe-Fx II MIDI In. I think the Triaxis transmits the PC and I know the Axe-Fx II can receive it.

If you decide to get a MFC that understands the Axe-Fx II sysex to sync the status of IA's and display the preset names, IA names and Tuner, I think you'll need a MIDI spliter, so you can still have bi-directional MIDI communication with the Axe-Fx II and send PC's and use an expression pedal to control the Axe-Fx II and Triaxis.

Thanks for the replies everyone. For now I'm able to use the Triaxis to control the Axe-Fx.

Just to be clear, if I get a MCF and hook the Axe MIDI Out to the Triaxis MIDI In, will the Axe cause the Triaxis to switch patches then?

Thanks for the replies everyone. For now I'm able to use the Triaxis to control the Axe-Fx.

Just to be clear, if I get a MCF and hook the Axe MIDI Out to the Triaxis MIDI In, will the Axe cause the Triaxis to switch patches then?
If it is set up to do to from the front panel it will do the same with the MFC.

What I meant was when it's working from the front panel with the wheel it will just work when you hook up the MFC.
But it's not working from the wheel on the front (nor does it change the Triaxis if I change the patch in Axe Edit). Is it supposed to?

The only way I'm able to get it to work is by having the Triaxis control the Axe-Fx, but I'd prefer it the other way around.

But it's not working from the wheel on the front (nor does it change the Triaxis if I change the patch in Axe Edit). Is it supposed to?

No, the Axe-FX alone can't do this.

A MIDI controller will, once everything's connected properly.

The Axe FX transmits MIDI program change data so it will switch the Triaxis if the Axe FX's MIDI Out is connected to the Triaxis' MIDI In. Make sure they are both on then same MIDI Channel.

The Axe FX's MIDI Implemenation Chart specifically states that it does transmit program change data.

Using an MFC, you will need to set MFC Echo to MIDI Out to On, under MIDI parameters.

Yes no problem ^^
Midi out axefx and midi in triaxis
Not midi thru axefx not work

Back
Top Bottom